What would you guys do - Recent brake work nearly causes an accident

maddog1982

Update,

I spoke with citizens advice who log this to trading standards. They advised I should be seeking a full refund and said I can try to resolve this over the phone and if I get no jy to send a recorded letter top them using a template from their site.

I spoke with the mechanic, and made him fully aware we have a statement and pictures and feel we are owed a full refund. I also told him his mechanic (who turns out to be his son) offered £500 to keep quiet, he didn't know this and when asked him he denied this on the spot. After 20 mins of him complaining he broke his tool cost him £152.95 and the fact he feels he rectified the situation we left it that I was going to speak to vosa and he was going to speak with his solicitor. I could hear the stress in his voice so its obvious hes probably shitting himself at this point.

This am I wake to a text:

Good morning Matthew this is Craig from Crewe MOT centre. Further our conversation yesterday I feel that legally I have acted correctly and professionally in what I have done to rectify the problem with Julie's mini that we repaired last Friday. After speaking with citizens advice and trading standards I am legally given the opportunity to put things right to which I have done. I consulted my mechanic who is also my son and I would like to make it 100% clear that he didn't offer the £500 to her as was stated on the phone call yesterday. When you stated that she should get a full refund legally I said that was incorrect. However, as a good will gesture and an apology for any inconvenience caused I am prepared to offer the labour content of the invoice which is £70+VAT back to her, as there are no faults to the parts we have replaced. Yours faithfully Craig Dickinson.

You know what? I'd take it at this point. As much as it's not right (and to be clear, it's not), you're going to have a hard time trying to get anything else out of him and I'm not sure the time/ballache factor is worth it.

Chalk it off to experience, and just tell as many people as you can what happened. Hopefully karma and word of mouth will do the rest.

• Like 2

You know what? I'd take it at this point. As much as it's not right (and to be clear, it's not), you're going to have a hard time trying to get anything else out of him and I'm not sure the time/ballache factor is worth it.

Chalk it off to experience, and just tell as many people as you can what happened. Hopefully karma and word of mouth will do the rest.

I totally agree, I have forwarded the text to Julie and will let her make the decision. I will still report this to vosa though.

Actually, I'd do two things:

1. Take the money. Make sure it's in hand, or in the bank if a cheque.

2. I'd then go an see the guy, and scream and rant in his face about what a dirty, filthy, cheating little man he is. To call his son a liar takes the biscuit, and I'd just basically go mental at him. Getting it all off my chest might not get me any more cash, but it would make me feel a whole lot better and a whole lot more satisfied :D

• Like 1

Personally, I would take the slow knife.

Follow the guy home and start leaving something like garden ornaments on his door step, start off slowly - maybe 1 a month. Then start leaving them in places where he'll catch them in his peripherals, across the street at work, near his favorite restaurant and just slowly but surely increase the numbers and places. Watch his life fall apart as he becomes a nervous wreck, paranoid about these ornaments turning up in his life in increasing numbers for unknown reasons.

I think that's suitable punishment for not installing brakes correctly and trying to cover it up.

• Like 6

Take the offer and enjoy a free tank of fuel. No one died ( luckily) Then move on with your life.

Hope you guys who want blood never make a mistake.

You can be assured the mechanics Dad will give him more grief than you lot can.

• Like 1

Did I ever tell everyone how awesome Mouthwash is, and that he's like a hero to me?

Did I ever tell you how Mouthwash hates sarcasm and you've just earned yourself a collection of garden gnomes?

:D I freakin' love garden gnomes! :D

Personally, I would take the slow knife.

Follow the guy home and start leaving something like garden ornaments on his door step, start off slowly - maybe 1 a month. Then start leaving them in places where he'll catch them in his peripherals, across the street at work, near his favorite restaurant and just slowly but surely increase the numbers and places. Watch his life fall apart as he becomes a nervous wreck, paranoid about these ornaments turning up in his life in increasing numbers for unknown reasons.

I think that's suitable punishment for not installing brakes correctly and trying to cover it up.

Sticks and stones can break your bones...................but gnomes can never hurt you :p

f849967134f425df9652bf6032b34a7b.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1