Women learners!!!

350zedd

Now that I have your attention :lol:

My wife and one of my daughters have decided to buy a small car and learn to drive .... :surrender:

I'm assuming the best way to work this, is to register the car in my name and get them named as provisional drivers on my insurance.

I'm thinking it will be cheaper than one of them insuring it as an owner/learner, although they wont build up any NCD

Advice appreciated thanks!

assuming the car is sufficiently underpowered, i'd get fully comp insurance for your wife, then add your daughter as a named driver, and you as a named driver as well to possibly bring the price down. although it may not help.

also, when you know what car they're getting, be sure to post what it is, in case I'm in that part of wales any time soon! ;)

• Like 4

Wouldn't it be more practical to just pay for lessons than to buy a car and be taught by a non professional?

They will be paying for lessons, but will still need a car once they've passed their test.

I'd just wait till they pass their tests tbh if it was me. ;)

Good luck to them both zedd. :thumbs:

• Like 2

As Ilogikal1 said, if you insure a car as the main driver and aren't the main driver, then that can get you in a lot of hot water if caught.

If it didn't, then everyone would have their Mum/Dad as the named driver on their car... I know I would! :)

As Ilogikal1 said, if you insure a car as the main driver and aren't the main driver, then that can get you in a lot of hot water if caught.

If it didn't, then everyone would have their Mum/Dad as the named driver on their car... I know I would! :)

Fair point. :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice

it cant be that much to have fully comp insurance with your wife as the main driver - after all, shes female (obviously) and old enough to have a daughter at driving age - both low risk! assuming its a tiny underpowered car, i cant see that being that much.

And then put your daughter on as a named driver - and maybe yourself as well as it might bring the premium down.

I bought my daughter a clio for Christmas and decided to go with the car in her name the learner driver insurance from adrian flux in her name l can drive the car on my traders policy i done this mainly because she won't have to lye to the police first time she's stoped . The insurance was 450 wile the L plates are on when she passes its 1300 with a black box.

• Like 1

it cant be that much to have fully comp insurance with your wife as the main driver - after all, shes female (obviously) and old enough to have a daughter at driving age - both low risk! assuming its a tiny underpowered car, i cant see that being that much.

And then put your daughter on as a named driver - and maybe yourself as well as it might bring the premium down.

Both low risk.....you having a larf! :lol:

Yes, the wife will be registering the car in her name and will be the main driver. Other daughters and myself will be on as named drivers.

The eldest daughter (not in this equation) already drives a Lancer and the son a 350Z

It will soon look like Tesco's car park here...

They will more than likely be buying a Suzuki Swift, so let me know when you are down this way next,

and I'll send them out to scare the s*** out of you! ;)

I bought my son a Seat Arosa 1litre - insurance in his name, wifey and I as named drivers, cost 1st year about £700, 2nd year (still not done his test) about £650

last time I checked it should go back to about £700-800 ish once he passes

(he's 18)

Edited by ioneabee
  • Like 1

Same position as you at the moment.

We have a 1.2 Clio which the wife drives and a 17yo learner driver.

Policy and car in wife's name with myself and daughter as named drivers.

We use Quinn insurance as they come out the cheapest while she is learning.

However, Quinn shoot up massively in price when she passes so will change insurer then.

If we did not have the Clio anyway, I think I would just have used the insurance money to pay for more lessons.

From experience with our eldest daughter, once they pass their test you have just got to sit on pc/phone for hours shopping around for the best deal.

• Like 1