Fitness wristbands - advice needed

twobears

Does anyone here use a fitness wristband thingy? I've only just heard about them and wondered if buying one would help encourage me to move around more and eat less? Assuming they are worth the money, I need recommendations because there seem to be a few to choose from. Any advice welcome. Thanks :)

do you mean the ones that measure Heart Rate and count calories etc? If so there are lots :lol: but generally anything thats ccompatible with your phone is good as you can plot your progress over a period of time. Main idea is you work out what 60% of your max Heart Rate is and aim to stay in that area when exercising.

Whats your price range?

Edited by jumping350

Whacky, I'm not 100% sure what they do, even after reading the blurb :surrender::blush:

I don't know how much to spend on one. You can get very cheap ones but maybe these are no good, like most cheap things? I've got an iPhone but I'm not very technical so I want something easy to understand :blush:

• Like 1

It's basically something that sounds techy and wants to make you feel like you need it in your life as it will make things easier.

But in the end if you feel like you need to keep in shape, then you will need to get off your backside and sweat, fitness band or no fitness band.

However did people manage back in the day without gadgets and smartphones?

They worked out until they were sweating ;)

• Like 4

Thanks jumping350 :teeth: I was looking at the Jawbone one and I still like the look of that but will research some more before committing myself.

BulletMagnet, I know I don't need the thing but if it helps my motivation then I am happy to buy one. Not sure how old you are but I'm an elderly lady and although I play badminton, swim and do aqua aerobics as well as walking whenever I can, I still need to do more and it's not as easy as looking in the mirror at the gym to admire my muscles to spur me on :lol: I've just started back at the gym and am quite happy there but I find it boring after a while so something that encourages me to do more will be great :teeth: I never used to worry about my fitness when I had my horse because riding kept me ticking over, along with my other exercise but currently I live down south and my horse is in Yorkshire so I have lost the largest bit of my exercise routine and I am starting to feel unfit and it's making me unhappy.

Got my mom a Fitbit, (or something close) for mothersday and she freaking loves it. Wears it every day and uses it to count how many steps she does, how her heart rate at the gym, even how well she sleeps. It's just about our best gift ever and finally redeemed 25 years of bad gifts.

• Like 1

To be honest unless you do some serious running or cycling and want to track your progress for improving fitness and achieving targets, then I think the fitness bands are all a bit of a gimmick. For basic stuff I just use Nike Fitness plus which comes with pretty much all iPhones and iPods and is really simple to use. For more advanced stuff there are various apps and websites that track your route/speed/elevation/HR etc. I'm not sure wearing a fitness band will motivate you :( Have you tried Wii Fit? Swimming? Local fitness classes?

Good luck x

• Like 1

I have a few of these so depends what it is you want to. The reason I have a few is they all do different things based on what activity I am doing (Triathlon based) so heres my thoughts

Polar HRM - OK this is more for the gym and is a chest band that your wear when exercising - I use this for heart rate zones in spin classes and outdoors road cycling - I seldom use it for running as I hate running!. The reading are sent to an iphone app and you can crunch the data as you see fit - More for the serious fitness training crowd

Withings Pulse - Tiny little data collector you can wear on belts, in pockets on in a purpose built strap. I use this for Hill walking - records steps/Altitude/Calories/distance plus will also monitor your sleep. Very easy to lose - am on my second one after a drunken night in Vegas. Also syncs with the Withings scales which monitor weight/BMI straight to the app. Unfortunately washing it is very easily done and mine was washed then tumble dried and still works although lost the use of the touch screen.

Misfit Flash. - Use this for Swimming/Spin classes. Waterproof, registers progress by lighting LEDS and and syncs with app. A bit different to the Withings pulse as you set yourself a goal in points rather than calories or distance like the pulse. Far more of a community feel and you set your own leaderboard with friends and try to out do them etc. Can be worn with the clasp or on the wrist. Ladies also have a necklace option. The Flash is a plastic version of the Misfit Shine which looks a bit classier but more expensive. This is the fun option and I must admit do love it.

Hope that helps and I'm 51 next month so still fairly active!!!

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

I use a jawbone up24, which ive had for a little while. I didnt really see the point of them until I got one. I use it with the software which came with it and find its pretty good at monitoring my sleep patterns & measuring how many steps I do in the day. I sync it with runkeeper which I use to keep track of all my runs & walks. You can also sync it with stuff like myfitnesspal and record calories etc. Depends on how much you want from it.

It can help motivate you if you are just getting into working out, it gives you recommendations and challenges and gives a very good overview as to how active you are throughout the day.

I did consider one of the smart watches, but i have quite a good watch collection so id prefer to wear those than a new watch. Also the battery on the up24 lasts a full week before needing a charge, and when you do charge it, it fully charges in an hour. I did briefly consider if id need one with a heart rate monitor built in, but figured im not likely to need that functionality and if i did I can use my phone to measure my heart rate.

• Like 1

To be honest unless you do some serious running or cycling and want to track your progress for improving fitness and achieving targets, then I think the fitness bands are all a bit of a gimmick. For basic stuff I just use Nike Fitness plus which comes with pretty much all iPhones and iPods and is really simple to use. For more advanced stuff there are various apps and websites that track your route/speed/elevation/HR etc. I'm not sure wearing a fitness band will motivate you :( Have you tried Wii Fit? Swimming? Local fitness classes?

Good luck x

Thanks Kraziekatz :) I've tried using my iphone but I never seem to have anything with pockets in to carry the thing around with me so I gave up on that. The wristband sounds much easier to just put on and forget about and I like the idea of it monitoring how much sleep I am getting. My sleeping habits have gone really weird lately and I can't remember when I actually slept all night. I always end up wide awake and grabbing my Kindle to read or listen to the radio.

I do quite a lot of swimming but our club pool is closed now until the middle of January for refurbishment so I must, must, must go in the gym more and I think (hope!!) the wristband thingy will make me compete against myself to do a bit more each day because I can be a bit unfocused if I'm honest.

• Like 1

rabbitstew, that sounds positive and exactly what I need :)

Mudman, the first two gadgets sound a bit complicated for my tiny brain and, I'm guessing, I really don't need anything that 'in depth' since I'll only be riding/swimming/walking/playing badminton rather than running? Will investigate the last one though so thanks :teeth:

I wear a nike+ watch every day counts your steps and calories.. Connects to your phone through bluetooth for more in depth charts.

Is a good bit of kit but to be fair i only use it now for a watch but looks cool glowing up lol

That sounds good too but I love my Folli Follie watch because it's ever so pretty with 'diamonds' :lol: and I suspect the Nike watch isn't quite like that :dry:

Edited by twobears

GMBallistic, I've only just seen your link :scare:Don't think I want to discuss that particular form of exercise on here but thanks for the link anyway :lol:

That's ok. :blush:

Most fun exercise you can do though. ;)

Erm, I can't really argue with that, especially if I compare it with the boredom that is the gym ;):lol: