Dipstick Problem Or Am I The Dipstick

keithvmx1200

I went to check my oil today for the first time. I had no problem pulling it out and the oil did look a bit dark so wiped it off and tried to put it back in to check the level but unlike with the wife I could not find the hole no matter how hard I tried. I then got a torch to see if I could see the hole still no luck as even with my torch I could see nothing so had to spend another ten min trying to get the dipstick back in and after a lot of pushing and prodding I managed to slip it in but did not want to pull it back out again in case it would not go in again, and also does the 350Z have the longest dipstick on any car or am I the biggest dipstick of all. :rant::lol:

It's a rubbish design but once you become familiar with it, it's easy enough to live with for regular checks (i.e. leaving it over night and checking it in the AM when stone cold). I initially found consistent readings have been tricky but can't say I have had a problem actally hitting the hole (ooo err).

For me the most frustrating thing is trying to get a reading if you're in the middle of a trip, I wanted to check mine the other day at a service station as the oil light flashed on for a split second on an uphill pull, totally impossible to get a reading without waiting an hour for it to settle down, then dipping a good dozen times :(

Always best to dip first thing in the morning.

Get a torch and see where the hole is before you pull it out if your not sure then your`ll know where to put it back.

Check on regular mileage count of say 500 or a 1000 and then you will never run out.

ITS CALLED MAINTENANCE :yawn:

• Like 1

It's a rubbish design but once you become familiar with it, it's easy enough to live with for regular checks (i.e. leaving it over night and checking it in the AM when stone cold). I initially found consistent readings have been tricky but can't say I have had a problem actally hitting the hole (ooo err).

For me the most frustrating thing is trying to get a reading if you're in the middle of a trip, I wanted to check mine the other day at a service station as the oil light flashed on for a split second on an uphill pull, totally impossible to get a reading without waiting an hour for it to settle down, then dipping a good dozen times :(

I'm sure you did, but please say you have topped up?!!

^^This. It is a rubbish design but once you get used to it you should be fine. ;)

If you have a good look where the dipstick goes there is actually a V-shape ramp to help guide you towards the dipstick entry hole.

I find it easiest to have my torch handy and haven't had a problem checking my oil since I've employed this technique. :thumbs:

I'm sure you did, but please say you have topped up?!!

Didn't need to top up, the very brief flash of the light was just the combination of the very steep incline and the fierce acceleration. I checked the level then (many many many times) and since then (properly from cold) all good.

I also knew that it was just short of MAX when checked three days before my trip (at my regular Sat AM check) and there wasn't any on the driveway or in the engine bay, so it would have had to have shat out about 5 litres in three days without leaving a trace.

• Like 1

The dipstick is the best reason to upgrade to a HR engined Z. I could never get an repeated reading so that's why I changed the oil every 6 months to be sure.

Enjoy ;)

...or buy a decent lcd torch for a tenner

:)

myself?

flat surface, leave couple of hours then read side of dipstick that makes most sense ie not the one that trails all the way up with oil....

Edited by KUGT4

its a pain, but its not that hard... just did mine, its a lot easier in daylight and you can see where it needs to be inserted, and then its just a matter of getting the ridges in. but really its not that hard... 5 minutes, two dips showing oil to be exactly on the full line (as it should be, only serviced a month ago) job done.