Windscreen washer pump

Daryl

Car is now off the road, but the last couple of times i drove it, the RH (as you are sitting in the car) windscreen washer did not function, and the LH side one, had very little pressure. Initially I thought id run out of fluid, but that is not the case, so does it sound like the pump has given up? I couldnt hear anything whirring away while trying to splash the screen, and I cant see anything blocking the jets

There has been some recent posts on windscreen wash problems. My experience has been it's best to remove the non return valve and just use a straight connector in it's place. This certainly improved the amount of screenwash delivered onto the screen!

Hope it's not the pump, although it is relatively easy to replace.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

There has been some recent posts on windscreen wash problems. My experience has been it's best to remove the non return valve and just use a straight connector in it's place. This certainly improved the amount of screenwash delivered onto the screen!

Hope it's not the pump, although it is relatively easy to replace.

Hope this helps.

^^ Good advice imo. ;)

The non-return valve in the front washer pump system really is a waste of time (imo). Had problems with mine once so replaced it with a new one, ...few months later it's fubar again so I removed mine completely (replaced with a straight through piece) and now the windscreen washer jets work so much better. :thumbs:

Were is the non return valve located please ....

JC..

It's underneath the front windscreen scuttle panel on the drivers side (where the clutch/brake servo is). You can get to it easily by gently pulling the pipe work down out of the clips from under the scuttle panel. ;)

Well i get screen wash through the passenger side, albeit at a low pressure, so I dont believe there is a blockage, il give the non return valve a tweak, and see if that works. Failing that £10 for a new pump is not the end of the world

Well i get screen wash through the passenger side, albeit at a low pressure, so I dont believe there is a blockage, il give the non return valve a tweak, and see if that works. Failing that £10 for a new pump is not the end of the world

Mine was a bit like that too though & it was the non return valve restricting the water pressure and if you can hear the pump running then it shouldn't really need replacing but you never know I guess.

Have a read through this: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/88593-windscreen-washer-tubing/

I'd try replacing the non-return valve first with just a straight through piece to see how that works as mentioned in the thread I linked.

One of these should do it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-5mm-Vacuum-Hose-Connectors-Plastic-Hose-Joints-Tefen-Blue-Ramair-/271191863029?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f244b6ef5

Let us know how it turns out. :thumbs: