Sensible car time :(

liamgdr

I've been toying with the idea of selling my zed for the last 6 months but never brought myself to it. Ive recently left my job and gone back to education so money is the tightest its ever been so it has to go.

Ive got a lot of audio gear that I was going to fit in the zed but its still sat in the living room, so whatever car I go for I'm planning a nice I.C.E install (make up for the loss of fun) so build quality has to be pretty good, definitely better than the zed.

Budget will be 6k, which is roughly what I should sell my car for, I want something that will achieve 50 mpg in the real world. (probably means a diesel)

So far I've narrowed it down to mk5 Golf gt, Alfa Brera and the Volvo c30. All are 3 door hatch backs but thats not what I'm exclusively looking for, just my first few thoughts.

Is there anything I've missed? Any useful advice on the above cars?

Cheers, Liam.

50mpg real world isn't going to happen very often, unless you live on the motorway sat at 60mph. Even the decent diesels (thinking the BMW 2l in something small like the 118d) will see maybe 45mpg on the combined cycle.

Work on a figure of 40-45, that way if you do get better then you're laughing. If money is the priority then I'd be looking at Fords or Vauxhalls tbh, as they're going to be cheaper to maintain than any premium brand. A Focus mk2 is a bloody good steer.

Seat leon FR, cheaper than the golf and look pretty good IMHO. My mate had the C30, was a nice car but was changing bulbs every month because the lights never go off!

Ha, never thought of the bulbs, i'll add the seat leon to the list, is that the 170hp 2.0tdi?

• Like 1

50mpg real world isn't going to happen very often, unless you live on the motorway sat at 60mph. Even the decent diesels (thinking the BMW 2l in something small like the 118d) will see maybe 45mpg on the combined cycle.

Work on a figure of 40-45, that way if you do get better then you're laughing. If money is the priority then I'd be looking at Fords or Vauxhalls tbh, as they're going to be cheaper to maintain than any premium brand. A Focus mk2 is a bloody good steer.

My old a3 2.0tdi would never drop into the 50's always mid to high 60's thats what I'm basing it on, as long as I am at least doubling the economy of the zed (18mg) then I will be happy.

i had the leon FR550 2.0 tdi was a great car, very comfortable and returned towards 50mpg.

Definitely a contender If I can find a decent one around the 6k mark.

If you fit a supercharger to your 350z it will read over 40mpg, that seems pretty sensible to me.

On the back of the AA tow van?

Mint, low mileage fabia VRS with money to spare for a remap and rear arb etc. you will get 50mpg no problem & if you can find one with heated seats & cruise ( which can be retrofitted for peanuts) then you have a belter of an alto under. I still miss mine. Far far better than the Audi a3 I replaced it with

If you fit a supercharger to your 350z it will read over 40mpg, that seems pretty sensible to me.

On the back of the AA tow van?

I'll get you a picture of my MPG if it helps sway you. :p

p.s before the nerds descend upon me, I know it isn't accurate.

Resetting the computer and rolling down a hill doesn't count :lol:

Mint, low mileage fabia VRS with money to spare for a remap and rear arb etc. you will get 50mpg no problem & if you can find one with heated seats & cruise ( which can be retrofitted for peanuts) then you have a belter of an alto under. I still miss mine. Far far better than the Audi a3 I replaced it with

Im sure its a very good car but I really don't like the look of it.

Ford Focus - cheap as chips to run, parts available on every street corner.

Any half decent beemer?

Honda Civic?

Mazda 3/6?

VX220 NA, 35mpg and super quick - mind you hows supple are you ;)

I have thought about the focus but its probably sitting at the bottom of my list.

Im planning a pretty big I.C.E install with some gear I already have, and it a pain in the arse to fit a double din in the new bmw's and it looks a bit crappy even when you do get one in, the heater controls also end up in the ash tray area.

I actually really like the look of the newer civics, didn't think about them, added to my list along with the mazda.

At 6'5" I reckon my chin would probably rest on the top of the windscreen in the vx220 :lol:

If your are seriously interested in a diesel Civic.

Ours will be up for sale soon, 08 plate, Black, 5 door, 2.2 diesel. EX spec so top spec, SatNav, Bluetooth, voice control, xenons, electric folding mirrors, cruise control, rear parking sensors, aux-in port, currently longer average 49mpg.

Totally standard, 85k maintained by Honda than Mitz, no issues at all, we've owned it since 3k, only selling due to wife wanting more luxury, so currently PX for a Lexus IS300H.

Been offered a lowly £4.5k PX price for it, but given the lack of hassle in PX have pretty agreed. Rather it go to a good home though, so will let it to a member for not much more. PM me if seriously interested.

Edited by gangzoom

If your are seriously interested in a diesel Civic.

Ours will be up for sale soon, 08 plate, Black, 5 door, 2.2 diesel. EX spec so top spec, SatNav, Bluetooth, voice control, xenons, electric folding mirrors, cruise control, rear parking sensors, aux-in port, currently longer average 49mpg.

Totally standard, 85k maintained by Honda than Mitz, no issues at all, we've owned it since 3k, only selling due to wife wanting more luxury, so currently PX for a Lexus IS300H.

Been offered a lowly £4.5k PX price for it, but given the lack of hassle in PX have pretty agreed. Rather it go to a good home though, so will let it to a member for not much more. PM me if seriously interested.

I think ill be going for a c30.

Very good build quality, pretty stylish if I can find an R version, not many mechanical issues, good diesel engines, and it shares its parts with the focus so they are as cheap as chips to fix.