Slippery when wet

Edd20022

Ok, so I have had 2 Zed's over the last 9 months and I have started to notice an issue with my current one.

In the rain or on wet roads I am getting a vague floaty feeling from the front, almost like I am aqua plaining, the car feels massively unstable and feels like it could loose it at anytime. During a heavy rainfall on the M40 I struggled to drive over 40mph as it felt like the front end was going to loose it.

Now, goes without saying this is very worrying. I have driven this car in the wet before and it was fine, it's only after the the last few weeks this issue has come up, and as this is my second Z I know this not to a normal characteristic of the cars driving style.

Now let me say first, its not my tyres. They are a almost new set of 19" Falkens with plenty of tread left on the front and rear, and I have checked the PSI's.

Possibly tracking???

Basically I have no idea. If anyone else has had a similar issue and solved it I would love to hear.

Cheers

Edited by Edd20022

Using 35psi when cold? You do not say what Falkens but if they are 452/453 with good tread they should be fine unless you are driving it like you stole it! :lol:

I see from your history you have coilovers fitted - maybe the setting combined with the need for a 4-wheel alignment check may be necessary?

If the above are as they should be normally the 350 (and 370) are well planted at the front, even in the wet and it is more often the back end that will feel loose with, er, spirited driving. ;)

Thanks Colin,

Yeah sorry, they are 452's. And I believe the psi was set to 32 front and 33 rear. But I will try 35 all round.

I have a feeling it's going to be the allignment, but even driving at normal speeds it can be quite unnerving.

I will report back once I get this done :)

Hopefully that sorts it out. Avoiding motorways on rainy days is becoming a right pain.

Some places will do a free alignment check so worth doing that first.

Mine had falkens on the front and they were awful, same as your description, felt twitchy, no real grip and felt like the front was wondering over the road. I have changed them to match the rears and now have Uniroyal rain sport 3, it's much more stable and feels alot better. My falkens still had about 3.5-4mm of tread but I just wanted them gone.

I have never been a fan of mixed tyres, unless it's cheap tyres on the rear for messing around.