ebay bidding help

350 Russ

I just do it the old fashioned way and manually.

At least then if you REALLY a want something you have time to place a last second bid.

It what i normally do and usually lose out. i really don't want to lose this so thats why I'm inquiring about the programs.

I just do it the old fashioned way and manually.

At least then if you REALLY a want something you have time to place a last second bid.

I used to do a lot of bidding on computer parts and just put in the most I was prepared to pay about an hour before the item ended. Of course sometimes I lost and sometimes I got a bargain. These days I just use the buy it now button, as long as the price is reasonable of course.

Pete

Sniping programs are useless imo. so you want them to chuck a last minute bid in but what if somone else has bid higher than the bid you place, ebay automatically puts the highest bidders bid in? so you'd still get outbid even if it was in the last second?

people don't seem to put their highest bid in on the first go (ive noticed this from selling a lot of items on ebay) They leave a lower one in if they think they will win it on that and often put another, higher, bid in if somebody else bids up. I don't understand that way of thinking, just put your highest bid in first, as it says!

• Like 1

I use sniping services all the time, auction stealer is the one I use.

works perfectly for me, I decide what my absolute maximum bid is, then auction stealer puts it in with 5 seconds to go. if I am still outbid then so be it, as the item went for more than the maximum price i'm prepared to pay.

with an auction it pays massively to keep your cards close to your chest - if you put in a bid early it gives someone a chance to outbid you.

the only way ebay auctions work for a buyer is to make one bid, which is your absolute maximum. even if the item is currently at £500 with 5 minutes to go, if you're prepared to pay £1000, bid £1000 - the ebay software will put in the amount needed for you to win the auction, and no more.

unfortunately this isn't the best way for the seller, but then again ebay isn't a proper auction site, because it has an auction end time.

In a real auction it doesn't end until only one bidder remains - the problem with ebay is that an auction will end halfway between a last minute bidding war, which is really bad for a seller trying to get the best price for something. what ebay should implement is a 'time added on' function, ie the auction time extends by 5 minutes if someone puts in a last minute bid, to give someone time to outbid. And then it keeps adding on 5 minutes until there are no more bids (essentially like an auctioneer saying 'going once.... going twice... last call.... SOLD')

...actually, that's a pretty good idea, maybe I should set that up!

• Like 1