R35 Owners

Jetpilot

I have been doing a fair bit of reading on GTR running costs and as usual with the web, there are very much conflicting stories and most of them are from a few years ago:

But basically, tyres, discs and pads are all a common theme. Presuming as time has moved on more companies are offering alternatives to oem Nissan parts and have already checked out Litchfelds service prices, what options are out there in terms of cost for, tyres and brakes and how many miles would you expect to get from both with general driving and the odd trackday?

I will want to do a few track days, it would seem this bumps up costs massively.

Indeed it does:

I am running AP Racing J Hook 2 piece rotors and the best pad for the job is Carbotech XP12

The tyres to go for are MPSS with Extra Load Walls (Non Run Flat)

Plus usual upgrade to lines and fluid.

More info on sizes etc on request.

Alex. :)

It's not just the running costs you need to know about, it's the never ending modding costs!

I've done a couple of track days and not noticed any increase in running costs. Easily get through £100 worth of fuel in a day but the wear on tyres/pads/discs depends what you're running and how hard you are around the track.

If you're driving it aggressively and ignoring fluid temps then you will come away needing to spend a fair amount of money on tyres, pads and fluid.

Edited by TomS

Well I have now had mine for a little over 3 years and still love it!!

I have done 25k miles

Tyres - I am now on my 2nd set, will need to move onto 3rd set in a few months - tread still looks decent

Brakes - my OEM discs and pads lasted to 21k and I have now moved on to DBA discs and Pagid RS29 pads

I have done 1 track day and 2 event days - ASDA and Nissan experience... Servicing, well I have been indy throughout my ownership as I never really trusted Nissan. I have always used Sly and he has been fantastic with the car.

Depending on what year model you buy 08-10 you will need to consider a decent transmission cooler, as temps go up way to quickly on track days.

You can limit the modding costs :) although, modding a GTR is a lot more than just power mods..... in all honesty, the brakes and suspension mods are so much more important. Next on my list is the trans cooler, track wheels and tyres and I am very very tempted by the ALCON BBK kit :wacko:

It's not just the running costs you need to know about, it's the never ending modding costs!

I've done a couple of track days and not noticed any increase in running costs. Easily get through £100 worth of fuel in a day but the wear on tyres/pads/discs depends what you're running and how hard you are around the track.

If you're driving it aggressively and ignoring fluid temps then you will come away needing to spend a fair amount of money on tyres, pads and fluid.

I can get rid of 100 quid in fuel in the 370z easy

I'm convincing myself here that a gtr wouldnot be to bad lol

Not worried about fuel, my tuned rx7 was returning an average of 9 mpg.

Modding costs? Is that the usual Stubby and spacers? As all the UK GTR's look exactly the same.

Not worried about fuel, my tuned rx7 was returning an average of 9 mpg.

Well in that case crack on lol

Modding costs? Is that the usual Stubby and spacers? As all the UK GTR's look exactly the same.

Because it has a decent value, i could justify a set of Nessens for it :)

Tyres: £1200.00

Pads: £700.00

Rotors: £1500.00

Thanks Alex, what would i expect to get from those, 12500 miles

Yes, if you are not tracking it.

I have done 3000 miles in 18 months with a new R35 and 2000 will have been track miles.

I am just about to put on my 5th set of tyres.

On my 6th set of pads and 2nd set of rotors.

Done 10 engine oil and filter changes and 5 tranny fluid changes and 2 diff.

Keep in mind that the GTR is very HEAVILY focused on aero and downforce, so difficult to change bumpers, etc without screwing it all up. The other big issue is GTR TAX!!! A pair of side side skirts for a 350z is 150 and 695 from the same company (their own make side skirts)!!!

Plenty of modded cars out there, but most seem to focus on handling, braking and power:-

IMG_0253_zps27713bcc.jpg

IMG_0538Copy_zpsd2a09eef.jpg

I have done 3000 miles in 18 months with a new R35 and 2000 will have been track miles.

So a set of tyres and pads is effectively returning 500 miles give or take with track use, thats obscene! Any reason why, weight?

Edited by Jetpilot

So a set of tyres and pads is effectively returning 500 miles give or take with track use, thats obscene! Any reason why, weight?

Weight obviously does not help, however 500 miles can equate to circa 400 laps depending on the circuit, so do the maths.

Yes FUN can be extremely expensive.

I was at Knockhill today and completed 140 laps, regularly turning in sub 57 second laps and used 150 litres of fuel in the process.

First job tomorrow is car on ramp and a complete after track strip down of the brakes for inspection and replace as required.

Also a fluid change for brakes, engine, gearbox and diff.

Weight obviously does not help, however 500 miles can equate to circa 400 laps depending on the circuit, so do the maths.

Yes FUN can be extremely expensive.

I was at Knockhill today and completed 140 laps, regularly turning in sub 57 second laps and used 150 litres of fuel in the process.

First job tomorrow is car on ramp and a complete after track strip down of the brakes for inspection and replace as required.

Also a fluid change for brakes, engine, gearbox and diff.

Sounds like great fun!!!

Having seen alex around knock hill I can understand why he goes through so many tyres / brakes :)

Man than was a fun day

+1 and I would have to say, and having had the pleasure of passenger laps with Alex, that others would be hard pushed to get the mileage out of their tyres that Alex does as his lines meant the rubber being put down was being used 100% effectively and not wasted on sliding, wheel spinning excessive braking etc. ;)