Little crash, time for bodykit/suspension/full respray

Mathys

About 10 days ago, I managed to damage my Z. Especially the left front suspension and my wheels were badly damaged.

What happended:

Driving back from the movies around 10 pm, entering a roundabout. Wanted to take the first exit, taking it with normal speed. I already turned towards the right. As the roundabout was really badly lit, I only spotted a little platform dividing the left/right lane of the exit road at the last moment. Unfortunately, the roundabout wasn't made of asphalt, but of these stupid slippery concrete plates. So I could steer in as much as I wanted, no grip whatsoever till I hit the normal asphalt of the exit road. This was to late to prevent me hitting the platform at a speed of roughly 30/40 mph sideways.

Obviously the left side of the car didn't like this too much, so I ended up unable to drive any further :angry:.

Some pics:

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

So now I need to replace my wheels + tires. As I don't like the idea of new tires on the left and worn ones on the right, I'll get some Michelin PS2's this time allround (Eagle F1's before).

Q nr 1: 275/35/19's in the back like before (look a little stretched) or 285/35/19's..... Maybe the PS2 will already look less stretched in 275/35 than the F1's do?

As some body panels got damaged and need to be replaced/resprayed, I decided to get the whole car resprayed. I had some bad paint damage on the roof and some scratches all over, so a good time to get rid of them. Of course insurance won't pay for a full respray, so I'm paying an extra sum to get it done.

Q nr 2: I want to go for Metallic Black this time instead of the nonmetallic SB. Any advice which colour I should take? I guess most of the metallic blacks are similar (bmw/nissan etc). I hope to get some extra silver metallic flakes in the clearcoat, so it will look a bit different than just ordinary black metallic.

Q nr 3: It would be a waste not to use this opportunity to add a bodykit. I don't want to get an extreme one, just a little different than oem. I'm thinking of a veilside rear end, some Nismo/veilside/central 20 sideskirt and maybe a Nismo V2 front bumper. Any suggestions which will look good in black?

Q nr 4: As I want to get my fenders rolled/cut in the rear, I want to get a decent suspension. I'm thinking EDFC with Tein Flex or Tein .... ??

Thanks for any input!

About 10 days ago, I managed to damage my Z. Especially the left front suspension and my wheels were badly damaged.

What happended:

Driving back from the movies around 10 pm, entering a roundabout. Wanted to take the first exit, taking it with normal speed. I already turned towards the right. As the roundabout was really badly lit, I only spotted a little platform dividing the left/right lane of the exit road at the last moment. Unfortunately, the roundabout wasn't made of asphalt, but of these stupid slippery concrete plates. So I could steer in as much as I wanted, no grip whatsoever till I hit the normal asphalt of the exit road. This was to late to prevent me hitting the platform at a speed of roughly 30/40 mph sideways.

Obviously the left side of the car didn't like this too much, so I ended up unable to drive any further :angry:.

Some pics:

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

So now I need to replace my wheels + tires. As I don't like the idea of new tires on the left and worn ones on the right, I'll get some Michelin PS2's this time allround (Eagle F1's before).

Q nr 1: 275/35/19's in the back like before (look a little stretched) or 285/35/19's..... Maybe the PS2 will already look less stretched in 275/35 than the F1's do?

As some body panels got damaged and need to be replaced/resprayed, I decided to get the whole car resprayed. I had some bad paint damage on the roof and some scratches all over, so a good time to get rid of them. Of course insurance won't pay for a full respray, so I'm paying an extra sum to get it done.

Q nr 2: I want to go for Metallic Black this time instead of the nonmetallic SB. Any advice which colour I should take? I guess most of the metallic blacks are similar (bmw/nissan etc). I hope to get some extra silver metallic flakes in the clearcoat, so it will look a bit different than just ordinary black metallic.

Q nr 3: It would be a waste not to use this opportunity to add a bodykit. I don't want to get an extreme one, just a little different than oem. I'm thinking of a veilside rear end, some Nismo/veilside/central 20 sideskirt and maybe a Nismo V2 front bumper. Any suggestions which will look good in black?

Q nr 4: As I want to get my fenders rolled/cut in the rear, I want to get a decent suspension. I'm thinking EDFC with Tein Flex or Tein .... ??

Thanks for any input!

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

Suspension wise you would be hard pushed to beat the KW Variant 3 coilover kit.

The list price is £1095 we can do this for £985.

http://www.kwsuspensions.de/uk/index.php

We can also offer the TEIN kit as well but to be honest the KW is in a different league.

We also have the Nismo V2 bumper available for £310

I was looking at the KW 3 before, but some people said it was to harsh for daily driving. The Tein would be a bit more forgiving at bad road circumstances.

I guess each has it's own preference, which makes it so difficult to choose...

Quite the reverse actually.

The KW is in fact two systems in one in that it gives a much better low speed ride than the standard setup but when you push on it really comes into it's own.

The KW has a much greater range of adjustment which the TEIN doesn't have particularly on bump and rebound which is where the difference really shows.

As I said we sell both and have run both but the KW wins out.

Sorry to hear it. If you want extra flake in the paint, I would recommend House of Kolor paints. Awesome colours and finishes.

Good luck with the rest of the repair. :)

I've been looking at those, so most likely will get a colour/finish from them. Hope it will not turn out to be extremely expensive.

Sorry to hear it. If you want extra flake in the paint, I would recommend House of Kolor paints. Awesome colours and finishes.

Good luck with the rest of the repair. :)

I've been looking at those, so most likely will get a colour/finish from them. Hope it will not turn out to be extremely expensive.

I think it depends on how many layers you go for. If you go for a simple base coat, black and large fleck metallic it should be pretty reasonable. Not as cheap as a 'standard' colour from another manufacturer, but I think it would add to the car hugely. :thumbs:

Sorry to see that Mathys :( Your alloys are one of the best Iv seen, IMO keep same alloys & tyres did look a bit stretched before. IMO I would go 285 on rear (IIRC your rears are 10 inch width alloy).

As H5 said House of Kolors is one of the best, most customcar outfits in US use them. There are many differing types of Mettakic blacks so I would take my time & choose. What about a dark charcoal grey-black mettalic?

Central 20 is very subtle & one of the most flowing with existing lines of car IMO. :)

Sorry to see that Mathys :( Your alloys are one of the best Iv seen, IMO keep same alloys & tyres did look a bit stretched before. IMO I would go 285 on rear (IIRC your rears are 10 inch width alloy).

Central 20 is very subtle & one of the most flowing with existing lines of car IMO. :)

+1 on both counts :)

with 285, you will rub on the rear depending on the tyre. Ul have to either roll your fenders or get them trimmed. . .

Jamie

I ran 285's with no problems....... :)

me too on 11's and lowered appx 15mm

Also second BigPhil on the KW - definately want to get the rebound on the standard Z sorted out, which the KW does nicely. It is a firmer ride than standard but no way is it unbearable. Even running 20's and Stillen sway bars it's driveable. The KW's are set on the factory set up and the medium setting on the sway bars.

I decided to go for the 285/35 in the rear. However, with my offset I definitely have to get the fenders cut/rolled. Having +18 as offset doesn't help keeping the tyre away from the fender :). Obviously I'll keep the current type of wheels.

I've set my mind for the moment on the KW3. I've read more reviews and they are much better for daily driving than the Tein Flex>> Like Phil said ;)

Regarding the colour, I've seen this and this : it looks very nice. However, you'll never know how it really looks under normal light circumstances. Also if it isn't done properly, it will look like you got a spray can yourself and the car is covered by a layer of dust...

It would definitely be unique and not a standard black car :D

I thought about selling the car and getting the new M3 coupe. However, the attention and remarks made by people about the Z is not easy forgotten. In Holland they've sold like 650 350Z's till now, so it's a rare car!

Also I've spent alot of money already on it, so plan on keeping it for a couple of years.

I decided to go for the 285/35 in the rear. However, with my offset I definitely have to get the fenders cut/rolled. Having +18 as offset doesn't help keeping the tyre away from the fender :). Obviously I'll keep the current type of wheels.

I've set my mind for the moment on the KW3. I've read more reviews and they are much better for daily driving than the Tein Flex>> Like Phil said ;)

Regarding the colour, I've seen this and this : it looks very nice. However, you'll never know how it really looks under normal light circumstances. Also if it isn't done properly, it will look like you got a spray can yourself and the car is covered by a layer of dust...

It would definitely be unique and not a standard black car :D

There are pics on here somewhere of a matt black zed about to enter the 'ring :thumbs: i'm sure someone will provide the link for ya....