Afghanistan

martinmac

Just been watching the news and I am so pleased our troops have now left the place. I am sure there are others on here who have relatives there. I have the greatest respect for all out armed forces having worked with them in the Falklands for 5 years.

There is also one person on here who I am glad will be back soon. You know who you are. :)

• Like 6

Just been watching the news and I am so pleased our troops have now left the place. I am sure there are others on here who have relatives there. I have the greatest respect for all out armed forces having worked with them in the Falklands for 5 years.

There is also one person on here who I am glad will be back soon. You know who you are. :)

I know one wife who will be even more glad ;) Mind you with the referendum results I doubt he wants to come back :lol:

• Like 1

+1 to this.

This chap is like a 2nd brother to me, he is my brother best mate and we all grew up together. Truly a inspirational figure - http://blown-away.org/biography/ and his latest feat was taking part in the swimming for the Invictus games.

One of the most harrowing things was going up to see him up at Selly Oak hopsital after he was flown back from Camp Bastion. The amount of wounded soldiers was pretty eye opening.

• Like 1

The Falklands was like a big playground to me. I didnt really have a job so just did the cooking on the boat and went fishing. Cant remember much about the evenings. :lol:

I was then asked if I fancied a day out with some of the RCT guys and went along. We got bogged down in the landrover several times and it was great fun. We then arrived at Bluff Cove. A few of the guys had been there at the time. Very sobering. There were several other moments when I realised what the guys went through.

they do an incredibly hard job, and sometimes with little gratitude. I have several mates who I'm glad to see have made it through safely.

And my thoughts are with those families who's relatives will never return.

Edited by rtbiscuit
  • Like 1

+1 to the above, a fair few of my cousins have been in the army over the years. They were in during the Northern Ireland problems, something like 1000 soldiers killed in Northern Ireland over the full period of the fighting. Like Afghanistan it wasn't as if you faced an enemy up on there hill, more that so many injuries and deaths were from bombs and snipers, they rarely actually saw the enemy. The stories he told me chilled to the bone, how they get up in the morning and go outside and deal knowing you could just get shot down and not even know it, incredible courage.

Served 2 tours in NI 74 and 76 we lost a total of 32 of our finest warriors, was it worth it , maybe, should we ever have been in Afghanistan, never. We fought three major campaigns there and never resolved anything. I still have contact with a few mates and now in our 60's we meet and chew the fat of old times and the current ones and we still come away thinking when will we ever learn. God bless all those we lost, you will remain in our memories for ever, rest easy your duty is done.

• Like 2

I too have a lot of respect for our armed forces - my dad served in the RAF for over 20 years and I've had other relatives in the Army. Unfortunately though, having watched a very troubling documentary about the state of the Afghan armed forces recently, it's hard to be anything other than very pessimistic about the long term prospects for the country. I just can't see them holding it together for long.