Carbon style LED bumper reflector offer

Tarmac@TarmacSportz

It's easy to do (relatively).

Bumper off, detach existing reflectors, remove headlights to gain easy access to wiring on rear of headlight (cos if in situ, you'll need tiny hands or fairys doing the work for you).

Tap into wiring for sidelights, extend wires if needed and test if you have the wires on correct polarity.

Once you checked that all is working as it should, wire up and tidy up (personally I would cut, solder and heat shrink)

Then re-fit headlights and bumper and job is done.

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 2

Bumper off, detach existing reflectors, remove headlights to gain easy access to wiring on rear of headlight (cos if in situ, you'll need tiny hands or fairys doing the work for you).

Tap into wiring for sidelights, extend wires if needed and test if you have the wires on correct polarity.

Once you checked that all is working as it should, wire up and tidy up (personally I would cut, solder and heat shrink)

To take bumper off both front arch liner halfs have to come off to access bumper mounting brackets. The wires to the lights are visible right in front of you and can easily be spliced into. Definitely don't have to start taking the headlights out! I done them on mine. Unless the facelift model has an entirely different front end to the earlier model, i wouldn't have thought it.

Only mentioning incase it would put someone off thinking it was a bigger task than it is :)

Edited by AndyZ33HR

To take bumper off both front arch liner halfs have to come off to access bumper mounting brackets. The wires to the lights are visible right in front of you and can easily be spliced into. Definitely don't have to start taking the headlights out! I done them on mine. Unless the facelift model has an entirely different front end to the earlier model, i wouldn't have thought it.

Only mentioning incase it would put someone off thinking it was a bigger task than it is :)

I was only mentioning headlights out as it's easier to work that way as you will have more room and personally prefer to cut, solder and heat shrink.

Of course going in from arch liners is an option, but since you are taking the bumper off anyway to swap the reflectors, each headlight is only another four bolts

Very nice looking! Any pic if them on a zed? And also, will it dim once the main headlights are switched on? I might be wrong but I've heard that the DRL must dim to pass MOT? I'm interested in a set.

Edited by veeg33

Just had a read of this

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

Retrofitting

The requirement to fit daytime running lights applies to new cars only. There is no requirement to retrofit daytime running lights but kits are available if you wish to do so. Lights approved to the appropriate EU legislation will have an approval mark on the lamp which includes the letters 'RL'.

Retrofitted daytime running lights should be installed so that they come on with the engine and go off when other lights are turned on. Manually operated daytime running lights must be turned off at night to avoid dazzling other road users.

Since the text said "should" rather than "must" one can assume that there is room for bending of the rules.

These don't face forward, but sideways, so dazzling of other road users would not be an issue (well, depends on how bright they are in the first place)

If Tarmac does 06+ ones and the LEDs are mounted front facing, then a dimming relay should be considered.

What you would ideally need is a DRLR2 relay from eBay. Then you can wire this to your ignition so the lights are on while the ignition is on. Then there's a wire on the relay that connects to your sidelights. Then when you switch on sidelights at night, the drl's dim to half brightness.

I've done this on quite a few cars now and it works well.

• Like 1

What you would ideally need is a DRLR2 relay from eBay. Then you can wire this to your ignition so the lights are on while the ignition is on. Then there's a wire on the relay that connects to your sidelights. Then when you switch on sidelights at night, the drl's dim to half brightness.

Had a quick search on eBay and found this that completely switch the DRL off when side/main beam is on http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400518385752?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Or this that dims http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/350862642608?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

It's a lot more easy now to get these to work. Don't have to locate the ACC wiring location, just hook them up on the battery.

Edited by veeg33

Had a quick search on eBay and found this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400518385752?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Looks it's a lot more easy now to get these to work. Don't have to locate the ACC wiring location, just hook them up on the battery.

That'll work if you just want on/off with ignition, but there are complicated laws involved with drl's, ie positioning, brightness, dimming etc etc.

The one in your link works on the principle that it's always connected to the battery. Once it detects a voltage increase from the alternator, then it switches on the drl's. When engine is switched off then it switches off the drl's when the voltage falls back below the switch point, hence the 25 second wait.

• Like 1