Long tube manifolds...

mr_smith126

Have a read of this thread: http://www.350z-uk.c...exhaust-system/

Lot's of talk about the long tube style exhaust manifolds. More hassle than it's worth imo & expensive too.

Ahhh not that god awful thread again!!!!

Don't worry I have cleared this query away never to raise again!

I have ruled out any possible chance of exploring this option, I was just curious as I'd not come across before..

I can happily say it most definitely is not for me, panic yee not!

^^ Can't argue with you there Stevo. :D;)

Your thread is fine, it's the one GM linked :lol: fear not il give you a review in the new year, as il be getting a new engine in currently researching LT headers vs Stillen headers

#teamtarmac

What about "Borla" headers Matt? :dry:

They look pretty good too. B)

From what I've read borla aren't the best for gains. States say they've lose performance with them.

#teamtarmac

Hhhm, so more expensive isn't always best. Interesting. :lol:

Reason I said Borla is because I've seen it on our friend Chris's site and they are like £700odd compared to the £550 odd for Stillen.

I did here good things about Crawford manifolds so started thinking they may be the ones to hunt down but then I read a few more threads where people saying they had sh*t or no gains?!!

Would be good if we had a dedicated manifolds thread to try to sort the BS from the truth. :dry:

How can can we tell between bs and truth ?

Well I'd take it more as the truth if someone had done a before & after on a dyno rather than "yeah my butt dyno said it added X amount of horsepower". ;)

How many people have had an uprev with dyno showing increased bhp and they say it's no better !

Dyno's are not conclusive and differ from place to place

Well I'd take it more as the truth if someone had done a before & after on a dyno rather than "yeah my butt dyno said it added X amount of horsepower". ;)

How many people have had an uprev with dyno showing increased bhp and they say it's no better !

That's true but for example:

The thread I read on my350z.com regarding the Crawford exhaust manifolds for the 350Z/G35 was done on the same day, on the same car, on the same dyno ~ the ambient temps etc where all the same during both dyno runs and nothing else was changed on the car bar the manifolds.

The dyno showed only a few more HP (think it was like 2-5hp@hub) increase over the standard manifolds and hardly worth the money in that owners opinion.

That's true but for example:

The thread I read on my350z.com regarding the Crawford exhaust manifolds for the 350Z/G35 was done on the same day, on the same car, on the same dyno ~ the ambient temps etc where all the same during both dyno runs and nothing else was changed on the car bar the manifolds.

The dyno showed only a few more HP (think it was like 2-5hp@hub) increase over the standard manifolds and hardly worth the money in that owners opinion.

the reports of the uprev's i've read was done on the same day, on the same car, on the same dyno ~ the ambient temps etc where all the same during both dyno runs and nothing else was changed on the car

it's frustrating i know :headhurt:

Headers are well worth doing, best mod by far imo. People are just put off by the time taken
exactly why I'm taking advantage of my engine being swapped. Just need to work out if there is any benefits of long tube to having decats

#teamtarmac

Headers are well worth doing, best mod by far imo. People are just put off by the time taken
exactly why I'm taking advantage of my engine being swapped. Just need to work out if there is any benefits of long tube to having decats

#teamtarmac

From what I've read the best results for performance increases are by having long tube manifolds, ...but by far they are the most expensive option, if you want to pass the MOT (if you don't have a mate that can get you through) you will need to put HFC's/Cats somewhere else along the exhaust system and for the extra cash they cost the performance gained isn't necessarily worth it. :shrug:

For example:

Na Zed ~ Let's say long tube manifolds are £1500 and you gain 15hp by adding them and short tube manifolds (Stillen/DC Sports etc) are £550 and you gain let's say 8hp.

Is that extra 7hp worth it for the extra £950?

Those numbers are all just made up but that's just to try and give an example of what I'm on about. If you're a time attack racer then it is probably worth it but for the average fast road/occasional track day user then maybe not.

As Ian says though manifolds are definitely worth doing especially if you are having the engine out anyway (with the engine in situ I'd guess it's a 4-6hr job) it's just imo about trying to get the best "pound to bhp" increase you can.

• Like 1