Advice & experience on your fuel choices please guys

jimmy1280

I don't usually get involved in this debate as there is no known answer, however!

I have always up to 2 months ago run mine on V power but was given some Tesco fuel vouchers so had a few tank fills.

After about 100 miles the car seemed to be a bit slow on pick up more of a noticeable pause before picking up.

I kept running it on Tesco and looked for faults elsewhere.

And on several occasions I had a P3010 error code come up.

For those of you that are not aware this is not I believe a Nissan code but a generic code for most makes indicating a fault with the fuel coolant relay or something along those lines.

I went into wtf mode and started to look for things fearing the worst.

Not sure how it happened but I went back to V Power and not once has the error code come back and the car has come back to life.

Breed into that what you will:)

• Like 1

It's interesting these comments, the guy I bought my car off said he only used v power, he also said on a long motorway run he would get 30-32 to the gallon. The Shell in Lincoln is a bit far away so I've just been using Esso 97, I went to London at the weekend and did a fill to fill and only managed 25 and I was just cruising at 80mph on the A1 all the way there. I'm gonna run some v power and see if there's any difference but it seems related if your error code has never come back. I've just checked v power prices in Lincoln and it's less than what I'm paying for Esso so nothing to loose

• Like 1

It doesn't matter.

Any fuel marked as Super had to be at least 97RON and of a set quality, to get the BS mark. As long as it had that, it's fine. Other than that it's just important to get fresh fuel: Stale 99 is worse than fresh 97, for instance.

Believe all the marketing nonsense if you like, but you'd be just as wise to buy the freshest, cheapest super petrol you can. I do.

• Like 1

It's interesting these comments, the guy I bought my car off said he only used v power, he also said on a long motorway run he would get 30-32 to the gallon. The Shell in Lincoln is a bit far away so I've just been using Esso 97, I went to London at the weekend and did a fill to fill and only managed 25 and I was just cruising at 80mph on the A1 all the way there. I'm gonna run some v power and see if there's any difference but it seems related if your error code has never come back. I've just checked v power prices in Lincoln and it's less than what I'm paying for Esso so nothing to loose

You must have 'sausage fingers' like me, as you caught the '8' when you clearly meant to type a '7' when telling us about your cruising. Stupid keyboards with the keys too close together ;)

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 1

The thing is, don't panic if you arrive at your favourite petrol station with your DTE reading --- and they've run out of super unleaded, just put £10 or £20 worth of 95 RON in and keep your revs down to 3.5k and you'll be fine until you can top up with V-Power or your 97/98 RON of choice. I've had to do this a few times (maybe a dozen in nearly 8 years) because I felt it was better than risking running out of fuel and having to walk :)

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 3

Your right dam fingers :-) so my consumption was better

You must have 'sausage fingers' like me, as you caught the '8' when you clearly meant to type a '7' when telling us about your cruising. Stupid keyboards with the keys too close together ;)

Yep I'd bin told that by the previous owner do it it you have to saves walking :-)

The thing is, don't panic if you arrive at your favourite petrol station with your DTE reading --- and they've run out of super unleaded, just put £10 or £20 worth of 95 RON in and keep your revs down to 3.5k and you'll be fine until you can top up with V-Power or your 97/98 RON of choice. I've had to do this a few times (maybe a dozen in nearly 8 years) because I felt it was better than risking running out of fuel and having to walk :)

Pete

Nothing wrong with cruising at 80mph, given the speedo inaccuracy you're unlikely to be doing more than 74mph. Hardly the biggest crime, and cameras won't snap you either.*

*Probably. If you get done, it's your own silly fault.

• Like 1

Hey thanks guys it's good to know I'm doing the right thing :-) I do a lot of work for Total petrochemical refinery and my contacts once told me how many companies they supply with the same fuel that we all consider to be different, it's a real eye opener but it's clear that the higher octane is a must and thanks to everyone who has replied .

Reminds me of the time I worked for a large national bakery....the same bread would go into bags of many different brands!

I always use Shell V-Power Nitro by the way

I love all the haters posting about how it's been done to death and then the thread reaches 5 pages.

Word.

I never understand it :lol: Happens a lot, Someone asks question 'what 2+2?' someone replies 4. Then 10 other people also have to reply 4....we got the answer in the first reply!
  • Like 3

I love all the haters posting about how it's been done to death and then the thread reaches 5 pages.

Word.

I never understand it :lol: Happens a lot, Someone asks question 'what 2+2?' someone replies 4. Then 10 other people also have to reply 4....we got the answer in the first reply!

But if you reply you get to spam up your post count :lol:

• Like 3

Hey thanks guys it's good to know I'm doing the right thing :-) I do a lot of work for Total petrochemical refinery and my contacts once told me how many companies they supply with the same fuel that we all consider to be different, it's a real eye opener but it's clear that the higher octane is a must and thanks to everyone who has replied .

Reminds me of the time I worked for a large national bakery....the same bread would go into bags of many different brands!

Does that not make the bags soggy though?

• Like 2

Lol ever since I've had this car I play a game of how sideways I can get on roundabouts that may be the cause of a low mpg :-)

Great game though :-)

you were cruising at 80 and only managed 25mpg from Lincoln to london? I can manage 27mpg on a hoon round wales, did you have all the windows down and 4 flat tyres?!?

Will run mine on Hovis and scotch whiskey from now on :-)