Longlife custom exhaust - pros/cons

mr_smith126

What are peoples thoughts, pro's and cons for a longlife custom exhaust system...

At first glance i'm slightly dubious based on the examples they have on their site, but they will cover all the details I want and have quoted 650-750 for a true dual system including decats.

The only two systems (budget taken into account) that I've seen are the Invidia Gemini or a 2nd hand Nismo system.

I'm after the OEM style rolled tips, longer like the Nismo, just so it looks neater from the side.

I want a deep quality tone but with a decent amount of noise. I will be having decat pipes too.

The advantages of a custom system is that I can have the tail pipes however I want them.

I can detail the kind of volume i'm after.

They will have the car back in to change things if you are not entirely happy.

My concerns are, quality of components used.

The tone their box will give, don't want a tinny raspy system..

Items like using a nice slider joint over a flexi like on the Invidia etc etc..

Thoughts..

Edited by mr_smith126

If you want a deeper tone the Invidia might be the one to go for.

You can still find nismo exhausts in the us new for what they sell for over here used, but they're not a duel system and you will obviously have import costs.

I would think a custom exhaust would be difficult to sell in the future compared to the other 2 options.

Imo I'd get the Invidia Gemini exhaust system. It's what I have on my Zed and it's a fantastic piece of kit. B)

I've had a Longlife custom exhaust system made before on an old EP3 Civic Type R that I used to own. The sound on that was good, so where the materials used & the workmanship but nowhere near the quality of Invidia's system imo.

I'm also dubious about buying custom exhaust systems as it would be fairly impractical for them not to mention extremely expensive to do the R&D needed to cover the entire range of systems & vehicles that they can make exhaust systems for.

At least with companies like Invidia, Borla, Stillen etc you can be assured that they have done R&D into their systems and not just welded some stainless steel together that looks pretty & sounds ok. ;)

A custom system has no brand as such so resale will be poor and you cannot hear it upfront either on video or at a meet

The nismo is not true dual and more expensive 2nd hand than that, a cobra system is similar money but not true dual

The invidia is true dual but will cost more, it sounds like a cobra might fit the bill, checkout CS cougar store

Edited by GIXXERUK
  • Like 1

I personally think there is too much hype over re-sale.

All the exhausts that have been up for sale in the past 3 months have all be around 50% the price of the original price,

With that in mind, if you get a custom system for £700, you are easily going to get £350 for it inc decats etc....

If you want to go custom dude, do it :) Reason I went custom? What's the point in going to a meet where everyone has 1 of 3 exhausts all sounding pretty similar :lol:

i didnt think the nismo system was true dual?

Whats your main goal noise or power?

as im sure you will get a power increase from a custom but your not going to have the r&d from brands like stillen AAM or ark etc on a custom exhaust made exhaust they make them purely for noise and looks, but like i say that doesn't mean you wont get a power increase just dont think it might be as good

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Controversial - I have a japseed K4, and its actually awesome

i think Japspeed exhausts are crap for the record, maybe i got lucky

Have had a blitz, cobra and custome powerflow exhaust, and it wipes the floor with all of them

and it be true dual

Edited by Desey

Had a long.if custom build on my XKR very good. And chose over powerflow as LL use better materials. It all comes down to the fitter. The guys near me are excellent and know their stuff. And if its a custom build by people like Hayward nd Scott they tend to be valued the same as other brands.

I don't rate the nismo its not worth the money. Had the indicia on my zed it was good. What Longmire offer that most don't is a life time warranty on it.