Has anyone here ever learnt to sing (rather than being a natural)?

twobears

I did something rash last night and joined a choir, despite having one rather obvious handicap i.e. not being able to sing :blush: I have always wanted to be a part of a musical performance but I can't play any instrument so singing seemed like the best choice. I can't read music though and felt a bit out of my depth at the first rehearsal, only scraping by because I already knew the songs, well Christmas carols.

I have rung a singing teacher and am waiting for a call back so am really hoping that she will be able to help me get over my nerves and teach me how to sing properly but maybe I am deluding myself since I have no natural talent? :dry:

Any encouraging stories or should I just give up before making a total fool of myself? :wacko:

Whilst a Singing Teacher can't turn you into Adele, they can teach you a lot about breathing techniques and singing from your gut and not your throat (sounds weird, but will make sense after a couple of lessens).

They can teach you about notes, and how to recognise, find, and hold them.

So yes. a teacher really can teach you how to sing. You may not be fantastic, or even stand out from the crowd, but you can be taught to be competent at it.

(My wife teaches singing from time to time).

• Like 1

Thanks Lexx, that sounds encouraging :) I know I'll never be a good singer but I'd like to be just good enough to be a useful, workmanlike member of the choir.

Tricky-Ricky - noooooooooooo, I am not posing behind a giant sunflower for any money :scare: Coffee mornings sound ok though :surrender:

Welshman so have been in a few male voice choirs, My last Choir was London Welsh Male Voice, used to perform regularly all over the UK and before Wales rugby internationals at the Millenium Stadium (singing Tenor 1) . Most people can sing or hold a tune, breathing properly is absolutely key and many hours spent on long car journeys learning my part from the teach CD's. Warming up also a good habit to get into.

Another good tip is to learn your octave range and practice on songs you can sing not one that you like but are outside the range , also have a packet of Vocalzone (Boots !)

I had a great time with the choir and toured abroad as well - I do miss it but simply don't have the time to commit at this stage of my life. The pub singalongs/lock ins after the shows were always fun. Tried a bit of barbershop as well - that was very good for the breath technique

Edited by Mudman

To be honest, most things a choir will require will be fairly basic to begin with, they will build up your part as your skill progresses. They'll support you :)

I hope so. I feel very lacking in confidence at this point.

Mudman, that sounds brilliant and you obviously have talent to be part of such a good choir. I have a Welsh male voice choir tape that I play in my car sometimes but I can't really sing along because my Welsh is non-existent, despite having Welsh roots somewhere in my past and visiting Wales every year since I was a child!

Welshman so have been in a few male voice choirs, My last Choir was London Welsh Male Voice, used to perform regularly all over the UK and before Wales rugby internationals at the Millenium Stadium (singing Tenor 1) . Most people can sing or hold a tune, breathing properly is absolutely key and many hours spent on long car journeys learning my part from the teach CD's. Warming up also a good habit to get into.

Another good tip is to learn your octave range and practice on songs you can sing not one that you like but are outside the range , also have a packet of Vocalzone (Boots !)

I had a great time with the choir and toured abroad as well - I do miss it but simply don't have the time to commit at this stage of my life. The pub singalongs/lock ins after the shows were always fun. Tried a bit of barbershop as well - that was very good for the breath technique

I'd love to do barbershop! :lol:

Thanks any Male Voice choir would always welcome a new member and the non Welsh speakers in LMVC had greater numbers so learned the Welsh phonetically - I'm not a fluent Welsh speaker but its compulsory in Wales until 11 so my pronunciation is passable. Weybridge have a Male Choir just googled it - Pop along on a rehearsal night and I guarantee you will enjoy it. Normal form is they sit you in the section where your voice fits (tenor 1/2/Baritone/Bass) and you just join in- easy as that. The lads will coach you until you gain your confidence and you will be belting out a tune in no time at all. 4 part male harmony still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!

• Like 1

"Weybridge have a Male Choir just googled it - Pop along on a rehearsal night and I guarantee you will enjoy it."

I might well enjoy it Mudman but they wouldn't want me in the choir because I'm female :blush: I tried learning Welsh via the internet/podcasts but it was too difficult so I swapped to Spanish instead and that is a breeze in comparison.

"Weybridge have a Male Choir just googled it - Pop along on a rehearsal night and I guarantee you will enjoy it."

I might well enjoy it Mudman but they wouldn't want me in the choir because I'm female :blush: I tried learning Welsh via the internet/podcasts but it was too difficult so I swapped to Spanish instead and that is a breeze in comparison.

My mum was in the Church of the Good Shepherd choir for years, they're in Pyrford, there's quite a few people in it, so you can hide within the ranks until you get confident :)

I'm learning Welsh currently, the OH is Welsh and she speaks it at her parents, it's a toughy for sure! Moron means carrot, that's about all I can remember now :lol:

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 1

No worries. I belong to a lawn tennis club in Weybridge, although I swim/gym rather than play tennis, and they have just started a choir so I am going along to that. There are about 20 ladies and only 3 men. Fortunately, one of the men is a good singer and another is very good so they will help bring a bit of balance to things I think. We need more men to join really.

Alive Boy, that's great to hear. I would still like to learn Welsh but I think it's essential to have the help of a native speaker. It would be nice for me even to learn a few phrases because I stay in North Wales every year without fail and feel quite inadequate/rude because I can't speak Welsh. You should send your partner over to meet me :)

I sang with Swindon MVC /Oxford Welsh and then London Welsh and they are always looking for more members especially Tenors as they are a rare breed. The membership tends to be older retired gents as they have a lot of time on their hands so I was one of the babies in my late 30's when I started in earnest. I was overseas for nearly 4 years hence my enforced sabbatical. Will pick the baton again I'm sure, but may go down the classical choral route for a bit of a change next time just to widen my horizons so to speak

• Like 1

Sounds like a great plan Mudman. I am a 'friend' of Beverley Chamber Choir and their singing is beautiful. I think it would be wonderful to have a great voice, like you obviously have and a great shame not to use it so good luck with whatever you choose to do next :D

Well the music teacher just rang and she has asked me to go along for an assessment on Friday morning to sing some scales etc so that she can judge whether or not she will be able to teach me how to sing. The potential for embarrassment is enormous but at least I will have tried, even if I fail spectacularly at this point. Please wish me luck. I will need it :wacko:

• Like 2

Wishing you the best of luck for Friday morning. :thumbs: If you have the enthusiasm to sing, then nothing can stop you.

Don't give up if you make mistakes, we all do, as its part of the learning process, but persevere and it will come right in the end.

Singing carols in September??........hmmmm......sorry but..... :yuck::surrender:

• Like 1

I haven't read all the replies, I can't sing and I haven't tried to learn...... But I do have a good story :lol:

The guy who sits opposite me in the office is proud to be Welsh (even though he forgets his father was english :lol: ) anyway his local male voice choir got to sing at the millennium stadium before some of the Welsh rugby internationals so he joined them so he could get to say he'd been on the pitch for a Welsh rugby game

He can't sing and had never done anything like it before. He truly loves it and although he hasn't got to sing for the senior squad games he has sung at the under 20's home games in last season six nations in colwyn bay.

He would come in each day practising the away teams national anthem..... Badly :lol:

He still hasn't been found out yet mind. Good luck!

Edited as didn't make much sense

Edited by Fodder
  • Like 1