Why did you join this forum?

AliveBoy

Why did you join this forum?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you join this forum?

• To join a community of like minded individuals.
    • To sell my car/parts.
    • To buy my car/parts.
    • For help with the car/parts.
    • To rant/rave about a trader (both on or off the forum).
    • General witty banter.
    • I'm 14+/- and the school holidays were on and I wanted to "troll".
    • Advice and tips before buying a 350z or 370z.

I'd love to see Dans comments and debates on a Porsche forum :lol: I bet they hate it when they are wrong!

i bet you never get the mpss debate on there tho

Plot Twist: Dan preaches to them, that there are other tyres other than MPSS to them :lol:

Primewells isn't it? He loves the primewells :lol:

I stuck around because of the amount of friends I made here. Even during the few years I wasn't a z owner this was always the first place I'd check :)

This place is my internet home & you will never get rid of me :p unless Lexx bans me :p

Well, also if you think about it the last thing Tim wants is for people to just be signing up for his car insurance scheme because if the only reason they're signing up is for cheap insurance they may not be the customers he wants. They'll be the sort that spend 20 minutes in a car park revving their engine until it catches fire or the pro drivers who think drifting is putting McDonalds trays underneath your rear wheels.

His companies claims will go through the roof because of all the people flocking for cheap insurance, he'll end up being made redudant/losing the company, he won't be able to feed his family or put clothes on his own back. He'll have to spend every Monday milling about outside the job centre at 8.30 in the morning waiting to sign on with a can of White Lightning in his hand.

All of this because he spent his time convincing people to come onto a forum for the sole reason of taking advantage of his car club scheme, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Well, also if you think about it the last thing Tim wants is for people to just be signing up for his car insurance scheme because if the only reason they're signing up is for cheap insurance they may not be the customers he wants.

Errr, if youre offering 350Z specific policies then surely 350Z owners are who you "want" ...........? Most people sign up for the cheapest insurance available and a lot of people join vclubs solely for the discounts, what makes you think the 350Z should be different?

• Like 1

Well, also if you think about it the last thing Tim wants is for people to just be signing up for his car insurance scheme because if the only reason they're signing up is for cheap insurance they may not be the customers he wants.

Errr, if youre offering 350Z specific policies then surely 350Z owners are who you "want" ...........? Most people sign up for the cheapest insurance available and a lot of people join vclubs solely for the discounts, what makes you think the 350Z should be different?

:lol: you do make me laugh.

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned that the people that sign up to forums are generally the sort that look after their car however, if all they're doing is signing up to get cheap insurance what sort of logic is that?

This scheme is clearly not specific to a 350z forum, there are other places on the internet.. You know?

:lol: you do make me laugh.

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned that the people that sign up to forums are generally the sort that look after their car however, if all they're doing is signing up to get cheap insurance what sort of logic is that?

This scheme is clearly not specific to a 350z forum, there are other places on the internet.. You know?

The scheme will be agreed with an underwriter for a specific type of car, or in some cases owners clubs in general when there is more than 1 model. Anyone who has that car can generally access the better rates available but often the broker will only offer it to members of a given owners club as an incentive for all involved - he will then kickback some of his policy fees to the OC as a thank you. A more tailored policy will always be cheaper than a vague one, thats insurance 101.

Its nothing to with "owners looking after the cars better", its a reduction in the standard rate offered by the underwriter due to having a smaller (or no) variety of models covered rather than marketwide, and reduced advertising, administration and other associated costs.

As admin of a much bigger club than this for over 10 years and with cheques from 3 insurers that give our club members a discount sitting on my desk as I type I probably dont know what Im talking about though, eh? ;)

1oh7h.jpg

It was set up from nothing - just an idea that the users of car forums would probably look after their cars on the road arguably more than non forum users and therefore have less claims overall which means premiums could be lower.

When it was put into action, it was realised that this was the very case - the claims stats were low - and it's been a great success ever since.

I however do apologise if the above is total waffle but straight from the horses mouth.

So let me get this straight - because youve spent 30 seconds putting your email address into a "register here" box on a forum you immediately become a better risk than someone that hasnt ..........?

Ive been told by our club insurers its because an underwriter knows he will be able to offer better premiums when he is insuring 100 of the same type of car rather than 5, that makes a lot more sense to me TBH, but TBF that was before 99.9% of the market went straight to comparison sites.

Appreciate your comments but you are actually incorrect in your assumptions, as regards our scheme anyway.

The claims stats actually showed that members of car club forums overall had a much better record than those not on a forum! That was the premise for the scheme.

Admittedly you will get people who have claims on the forums & also people who are maybe new to the forum requesting quotes but in the main we receive phone calls from established members.

You may say it's waffle but with due respect, we have the facts & figures. Granted you are entitled to your opinion on a public forum.

Modern social media, I think, has dramatically reduced the popularity and use, of car clubs/forums.

The very nature, grouping and find all in one place ethic has done this to many clubs.

Less first time users will feel obliged to join up if they can find a quick fix to an issue on FB or some other search.

I do honestly think that the type of car has something to do with it.

The 350Z (I use this mark as it’s the obvious user base here – I have a 370Z) appears to have the right mix of members, from age, background, OEM, modded, post count and interest in the mark. Meaning that to get the fuller picture you need to be part of the forum as opposed to any other service.

I don’t really post much on here as I purposely try to stay off forums nowadays but I always tend to find something on here that interests or angers, so it’s very good.

• Like 1

You may say it's waffle but with due respect, we have the facts & figures. Granted you are entitled to your opinion on a public forum.

Your experience is different from the guys insuring SXOC and Driftworks then ;)

EDIT: Actually, I didnt say it was waffle by any means, I just said from my previous experience its easier to get a policy written for a certain type of car and that saving can be passed on. Do you have your own underwriters or you are buying "off the shelf" as it were?

Edited by docwra

Modern social media, I think, has dramatically reduced the popularity and use, of car clubs/forums.

The very nature, grouping and find all in one place ethic has done this to many clubs.

Less first time users will feel obliged to join up if they can find a quick fix to an issue on FB or some other search.

The 350Z (I use this mark as it’s the obvious user base here – I have a 370Z) appears to have the right mix of members, from age, background, OEM, modded, post count and interest in the mark. Meaning that to get the fuller picture you need to be part of the forum as opposed to any other service.

I don’t really post much on here as I purposely try to stay off forums nowadays but I always tend to find something on here that interests or angers, so it’s very good.

Very interesting point, I belong to several forums, both car related and not, and I am noticing this is becoming a problem on a couple of them, reduced forum visits etc, but one of the major changes seems to be that the advice on the social media sites is very poor and uneducated.....IE lots of incorrect and bad advice, along with lots of sales also, so unfortunately I fear that it may be ultimate demise of the forum as we know it.

I hope not but its looking that way, some of the problem I think is due to forum owners feeling that also using social media sites is beneficial, but in the long term as you say it an easy fix for most and will I think kill off certain forums.

Do you have your own underwriters or you are buying "off the shelf" as it were?

We have/are both! We are an underwriter with our own insurance company & also a broker where we have a panel of insurers should our insurance company not fit :)

• Like 1

Very interesting point, I belong to several forums, both car related and not, and I am noticing this is becoming a problem on a couple of them, reduced forum visits etc, but one of the major changes seems to be that the advice on the social media sites is very poor and uneducated.....IE lots of incorrect and bad advice, along with lots of sales also, so unfortunately I fear that it may be ultimate demise of the forum as we know it.

I hope not but its looking that way, some of the problem I think is due to forum owners feeling that also using social media sites is beneficial, but in the long term as you say it an easy fix for most and will I think kill off certain forums.

It will be a sad day if the forums no longer exist. IMHO, they are so much better than social media sites :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...