I had a little fun with......

Rock_Steady

An Astra VXR!!!! yes, that's right ladies and gents, I said the "A" word. I've never read "that" post about a certain Astra of the VXR but this weekend I found a blue Vauxhall rapidly getting closer to my bumper in my rear view mirror whilst on a country road on the way home. My mind suddenly flashed to something I had heard about Astra VXRs on this forum. Part of me was quite excited, the rest was just all icy terror. The thought that I was going to be mangled and spat out by a Vauxhall. But I wasn't about to bend over and take one for the team, oh no, the challenge was clearly extended so, I had to take it. I won't go into to details but I will say yes, he was all over me like a vulture on a carcass on the straights BUT, I started to leave him behind on the bends. Mwhahaha!!! I was quite surprised that on standard suspension the zed does handle really well. Apparently Astras don't :teeth: And in the end, as we approached town limits he was still behind me, not in front but behind, he just didn't have quite enough to overtake. We exchanged thumbs up and went our separate ways. I drove home with a feeling that, yes, my willy is considerably bigger than his :yahoo:

• Like 11

I wish I was a driving hero, the truth is we never really got to any high speeds but stayed @60 round some bends that had me screaming like a school girl :scare: . The type of bends that make you think " can I take this doing 50?" the answer is yes! would I do it again? probably not as I knew I was @ my driving limit as was the zed.

The reason why I dislike threads like this isn't just because I am acting Draconian btw.

Many members here will know of a Pistonheads member called "10 pence short".

He caused a serious accident which almost resulted in the death of a biker and resulted in him spending 12 months in prison.the prosecution used posts he'd made on forums about driving to and beyond his limits and such to prove he was a dangerous and reckless driver.

Unfortunately his prison diary was removed from PH a while back. It makes a staggering and scary read.

Basically just remember what you post on this forum is public. Also should the authorities come to the team requesting copies of threads/posts we will give them willingly.

Just something for you to think about.

• Like 8

The reason why I dislike threads like this isn't just because I am acting Draconian btw.

He caused a serious accident which almost resulted in the death of a biker and resulted in him spending 12 months in prison.the prosecution used posts he'd made on forums about driving to and beyond his limits and such to prove he was a dangerous and reckless driver.

Unfortunately his prison diary was removed from PH a while back. It makes a staggering and scary read.

Basically just remember what you post on this forum is public. Also should the authorities come to the team requesting copies of threads/posts we will give them willingly.

I had the occasion to take a 4hr "speed awareness course" this year .....They opened up with "Reasons for Speeding"

Answer ranged from, late for a meeting, didn't know the road, fast music, following the car in front, it was only 4mph over the limit, was having some fun etc etc ...

The morning progressed, and it's amazing what, as a driver we DON'T actually know! (forgotten?) ... and I've spent 25+ years on a bike 24/7 and the past 8yrs in a car ... (that wont add up .... but that's another story all together)

Like, when you signed for your drivers license, you probably didn't read all the small print - that bit saying you agree to keeping yourself up to date with the Highway code (about 70 changes in the past 12 months alone!!)

They finished the day with

THEN asked us, flipping back on the chart we started with - Which one of the excuses we gave would we use in a court of law - baring in mind if you do kill someone, it's not the Police but a Jury that you will have to convince ....

Having said all that ..... I tend to drive / ride with what my friends and I call, the "Isle of Man Rules" ... if you've been there, you'll get it :);)

I completely understand. Of course i'm not encouraging racing on public roads as I wasn't. It was just a little fun within the law. But I can understand why people may not see the amusement in boasting about ones driving experiences. Duly noted. :)

• Like 2

Lexx is right and the fact that these can be used against you should be enough (but remember no one likes driving like an idiot lol), but we ALL know what its like or what people can be like with any performance orientated car. I cannot say anything as I sure as heck use my car, but I'm always thinking ahead and using my noggin as to whether that little spurt or overtake is ... right for that moment. You just don't know what might happen so be safe :thumbs:

I'm not a massively long member but I have been on here a while to see the many posts and similar replies like Lexx's showing disapproval. Its good that Lexx explained exactly why this is. Not necessarily because you're driving like an idiot (I'm not saying you were btw lol), as said we all like performance (thats the point of the site and the car in part) but simple things can land you in trouble and no one...wants to be in trouble lol

Also good when you mentioned about the under 60 thing, as you indeed do not need to be 'flying' to have fun with sports cars, sharper cornering and flowing bends can give you just as much fun - while being safe - than doing a million miles an hour lol.

With that in mind I still found it interesting and amusing to read. I've often wondered about the new Astra VXR's (not sure if you meant the old or new one) and just how quick they are compared to the Zed, considering there about the same power level. I do find anytime I pass one (unlike Focus ST's...) they do not try and start a 'competition of the willy' lol. Maybe one day I'll meet one and if I'm honest I may indeed entertain it (if I feel suitable and safe for the surroundings :thumbs: )

These are good little posts, its said, moderator jumps in with good reason and explains! and the person takes on and everythings good. There are too many 'cool story bro' threads on here at times lol (mind you there is I admit the odd one that deserves it).

• Like 2

I had the occasion to take a 4hr "speed awareness course" this year .....They opened up with "Reasons for Speeding"

Answer ranged from, late for a meeting, didn't know the road, fast music, following the car in front, it was only 4mph over the limit, was having some fun etc etc ...

The morning progressed, and it's amazing what, as a driver we DON'T actually know! (forgotten?) ... and I've spent 25+ years on a bike 24/7 and the past 8yrs in a car ... (that wont add up .... but that's another story all together)

Like, when you signed for your drivers license, you probably didn't read all the small print - that bit saying you agree to keeping yourself up to date with the Highway code (about 70 changes in the past 12 months alone!!)

They finished the day with

THEN asked us, flipping back on the chart we started with - Which one of the excuses we gave would we use in a court of law - baring in mind if you do kill someone, it's not the Police but a Jury that you will have to convince ....

Having said all that ..... I tend to drive / ride with what my friends and I call, the "Isle of Man Rules" ... if you've been there, you'll get it :);)

I have to do this course when I get home in November! Gonna be a fun day :lol:

• Like 1

I know! I didn't mean it in a bad way, just thought this was a good wee post and a good example of everyone getting on lol We all know the score on performance cars and we all know the score on safety :thumbs: I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the person wasn't being silly and... watch what your saying on here for your own sake haha. :lol:B)

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

In terms of performance with the 350Z what cars are in the same bracket with it .

I know the 0-60 is 5.9 and the 0-100 is 14.3 on paper but what is it like in the real world as reading this the Astra VXR is on par with it ?

In terms of performance with the 350Z what cars are in the same bracket with it .

S2000's, Fast Clios, E36 M3's, S14 200SX's, Focus RS .......... TBH once youre moving there needs to be a big difference in performance to be noticeable anyway.

As for discussing it, I know Lexx isnt a fan but lets be honest, you dont buy a 300hp 2 seat sports car and not give it the big one from time to time - the odd thread that doesnt state three figure speeds and how you were racing through villages I cant see will ever cause a problem. The PH thread was a powerful read though, wonder why it got taken down?

The PH thread was a powerful read though, wonder why it got taken down?

The diary thread itself is there, but the entries by ten pence short have all been removed.

Apparently he didn't want potential employers reading it. I've seen elsewhere that if you pm him, he'll send you a pdf copy

Not sure if it was the new VXR you had fun with but I have seen 3 in the last week and they're pretty good looking cars. Seen the normal VXR blue, a red one and a really weird deep blue almost purple one on Monday. Was really nice, still wouldn't buy one though.

Edited by hensh65

If I wanted to do a lot of track stuff I'm not sure I'd buy the 350z for it.

Its more fun and quicker than just about anything FWD and the handling and particularly feedback are excellent, its just a bit heavy.

Personally, as you've said.. I think it's just a bit heavy. I'd much rather my girlfriends Mini for the track, rightly or wrongly.