Oil concerns...

AliveBoy

So, after the demise of Grundy's car and the probability of the cause being oil moving away from the pick-up during cornering. I'm now worried.

When drifting obviously the car changes direction a lot and frequently quite hard. I've been reading and it looks like cosworth produce an insert which effectively baffles the standard sump. I've read that people recommend pairing it with the rev-up oil pump? Does anyone know why? and is the rev-up pump a straight swap over?

I've looked at the baffles aswell, also at bigger baffled sumps. The sumps are really expensive for what they are, Japspeed have a good priced one but after having such bad experience with them I won't buy their stuff.im sure I checked the rev up oil pump out a while back and it was pretty dam expensive. I'm not sure how hard it is to fit either

If youre drifting then a baffled sump is always a good idea but I think long corners (Gerards at Mallory, Redgate at Donington, Pouhon and Blanchemont at Spa) are probably worse - I was getting fuel starvation at Blanchemont on a 1/4 tank so christ knows what the oil was doing ........... and Im not aware of any track failures due to oil not getting picked up, youd have thought it would be known by now (like it is on CA18's and RB26's) :)

If the Japspeed sump doesnt fit they will replace it, as long as you dont need the car immediately its probably the best bet .........

• Like 1

You could always just buy a normal pan and add the baffles yourself, easy enough job to do.

Do you get the extremes in G force in drifting that you do on track? I appreciate you're sliding a lot, but once the car has settled force will be minimum. Transitions are supposed to be smooth (I think, please correct me here!), so G force changes again shouldn't be massive.

Usually people get pickup problems when they buy a regular car, then chuck stiff suspension and super sticky tyres on, then go tracking. With slippy tyres in drifting, I would imagine you'd be miles from trouble.

I've read that people recommend pairing it with the rev-up oil pump? Does anyone know why? and is the rev-up pump a straight swap over?

From what I've read the RevUp oil pump is a higher performing pump than the early DE version as it was designed to cope with the higher rev limit on the RevUp model DE's. I assume it is a higher pressure/larger supply oil pump maybe? :shrug:

Apparently Cosworth & Nismo also make upgrade oil pumps but some say they are not much better than the RevUp version & you pay more just for the branded names. Believe they are all straight swap overs. ;)

More info on my350Z.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Drifting is going to cause problems just as much as track, if not more so as the slide is sustained and will generate quite high Gs so a baffled sump is a must, and extended would be preferable as well, because the engine RPM is up most of the time its will be easier and quicker to run the system dry, well at least cavitated which will amount to the same thing as for as plain bearings are concerned, adding a high flow or pressure oil pump will just compound the problem, you need constant flow not high pressure.