Car Parking Fine for using Halfords

Fluke

After swapping my wheels over for a set of 370z Rays, I noticed that I was getting vibration when driving above 60 mph and as I am work 12hrs shifts 7 days a week, I thought I would drop the car off at Halfords in Castle Vale, Birmingham.

I spoke to the Halfords manager who said they were busy and that if I left them the keys (they recorded it and I signed for the work to be done) and had a chance they would balance the wheels for me and phone me when it was done. By the end of the day the I hadn't had a phone call so went round and collected my keys from Halfords, the manager appologised and said to try again the following day.

10 days later I get a letter from UKPC with a £100 parking charge (not fine) reduced to £60 if I pay within 14 days because my car had overstayed the maximum 4 hours. My car was parked opposite Halfords garage doors as shown in the pictures below.

I plan on speaking to Halfords about the issue and asking them for a copy of the dated receipt I signed and challenging the parking charge, but the problem is that I could end up having to pay the whole £100.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

Don't pay. You're not obliged to. By all means speak to Halfords but don't pay that charge. . They (UKPC) might give up after a while as they don't have the authority by law to enforce the charge but they might, I say might take it to a small claims court if it turns nasty. I think something similar has happened to many a member on here. Hopefully someone will be along to confirm what i've said.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Google it. You don't have to pay legally. Only the council and police can give legally enforceable fines.

All they can claim in court (which they will never bother to do) is the cost of depriving them of the use of that portion of their land for the time, which is pennies.

Ignore, or if you don't want to ignore google will give you some stock letters.

• Like 2

I'm assuming that the big white sign in front of the very spot you parked in says that you can't stay for more than four hours??

Yes that the spot. However, because Halfords had the keys and had accepted my vehicle, that the rules did not apply. If they did, then Halfords should have made that clear when they told me to leave the keys with them when they took responsibility for my car?

I've had a few of these "parking fines" and I've ignored every single one. Don't even need to challenge it, don't have to pay!

I have just come back from Halfords and the manager photo copied the letter he told me he would get it cancelled and he wrote the word cancelled along with the date, he then signed it. I just get the impression that this is going to run on and will probably get loads of letters. Do I risk sending a copy of the cancelled letter to UKPC or just completely ignore everything from them from now on in?

If its a 'Contractual Parking Charge Notice' you dont have to pay it.

I had one from G24 a few months back for parking in a free car park and exceeded 3 hours stay and the I didn't purchase anything so couldn't send a receipt. I was just going to ignore it as I dont believe the majority of these companies even bother with court if you keep ignoring them but someone told me the law had recently changed on these charges so I went through the appeals process via POPLA (Parking On Private Land Appeals). A week ago I received my reply from POPLA informing G24 that the appeal was allowed.

Job Done :)

If it helps, check out moneysavingexpert.com as there are a few templates you can use as reasons not to pay. Usual 3 being:

* The charge is not a pre-estimate of loss (usually because its a free car park)

* Signage not complying the British Parking Association's Code of Practice

* Not having the authority to issue parking charges by the land owner. (I won on point as G24 could not supply a contract to POPLA)

Link here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

I wouldn't presume anything - but some advice.

I had something similar at a B & Q site recently - contract parking company (Parking Eye) recorded me staying over the time limit, when I was in the store getting prices and and finding out info about bathroom stuff (only for research BTW ;) )

I wrote to B& Q's HR department (as advised by the customer services desk), explaining at the particular store why I had 'over-stayed' and some 4 weeks later got a full refund from Parking Eye. I was quite sure that would happen and rather than get into any debate with Parking Eye I had simply paid the reduced fee.

In Halfords stores I have used they do not have the customer services desks like Halfords to maybe help lodge a complaint to Halfords head office. But hopefully the manager will do as he says.

BUT, you might do better emailing Halfords CEO (Matt Davies) explaining the situation and if you can get confirmation of your situation from the manager and preferably in writing so much the better - see the CEO contact email on here :

http://www.ceoemail.com/index2.php

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm assuming that the big white sign in front of the very spot you parked in says that you can't stay for more than four hours??

Yes that the spot. However, because Halfords had the keys and had accepted my vehicle, that the rules did not apply. If they did, then Halfords should have made that clear when they told me to leave the keys with them when they took responsibility for my car?

Did you inform Halfords that you had left your car in a space that had a time limit of four hours or just give them the keys?

If not, they can't be accountable for where you've parked your car.........

Playing Devil's Advocate of course, but be carefully of bullish people on 'The Internet' giving out 'ignore it and it'll go away' advice.....

Just ignore it, don't reply to them in any way shape or form. Chuck the letter in the bin as you didn't receive it. Was it sent recorded delivery? Do they have proof that you have the letter? Cant hey prove that you are the person who parked the car?

Since they can't prove you parked the car, they can't hold you responsible for the "fine". Only the authorities can charge you as the registered keeper of a vehicle, whether you were in charge of it at the time or not.

• Like 1

Being a halfords auto centre, MOST vehicles will be there for over 4 hours?! What if I ask them to change my clutch and they need parts which take 2 days to arrive?!

Then your car would be put in the appropriate place................. ;)

I would imagine the whole carpark has those signs, not just that area where he parked, so there would be no appropriate place for long stays.

Being a halfords auto centre, MOST vehicles will be there for over 4 hours?! What if I ask them to change my clutch and they need parts which take 2 days to arrive?!

As there was no parking ticket left on the car it is likely UKPC are using ANPR cameras (like Parking Eye) that only cover the entry/exit points rather than all the car parking spaces. Can easily be checked at the site.

Don't pay it. Hopefully Halfords will get it cancelled for you but if they don't then wait for a letter in the post of Notice to Keeper. Sometimes they don't even bother with this (probably will though). Then reply to them stating why you parked there, hopefully they will then cancel it if Halfords hadn't done it by then. You do have a genuine reason to be parked there and hopefully they will see that.

Halfords have written cancelled on the letter along with the date and the managers signature. So hopefully that will be the end of it, but I am a little concerned that they may not have the authority to cancel parking charges, even though its the only place to park if you are have work being done by them. I have written to Halfords CEO (Thanks Ebized :thumbs: ) to ask him to confirm.

Do not reply to the parking company, as soon as you show any interest or concern they'll migrate you to their hot target list, just ignore them and eventually after 3 letters iirmc they give up. Failing this PM Ricey.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

• Like 1

I would imagine the whole carpark has those signs, not just that area where he parked, so there would be no appropriate place for long stays.

I'm sure Halfords have somewhere to put customer cars without putting them in spaces where they are going to incur fines...........

Oh, however the new advice is NOT to simply ignore it - that is old advice.

You should respond using a template provided on MSE - but identify yourself as the Registered Keeper - not the driver.

If you have a receipt from Halfords, showing the goods/services purchased, that also helps for some reason...

• Like 1