Z randomly cut out...

DDay

I was on my way to work this morning and got about 2 miles down the road when comming around a mini roundabout i lost all power and the engine cut out. When i tried to restart it it would spring into life and then die instantly again, this happend three times. After a few mins of me check the engine for any obvious to stand out at me (there wasn't lol), I tried to start it again and this time everything ran fine and did for the last mile or so to work. This is the first time the Z has ever missed a beat, does anyone know what it might be or had somthing simular??

Had this happen on my Punto when I first started driving. A couple of days earlier I had put a steel dog tag on my keys as a key ring. While driving to work it must have moved it such a way that it upset the car and caused the immobiliser to kick in! Took it off, never had the problem again.

If it happens again look at the LED on the dash just in front of the windscreen. It should be off while driving and flashing while the car is off. If it's solid red then could be either something triggering the immobiliser or a problem with it.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks but unfortunately doesn't seem to be something as nice and simple as that. I checked my dash cam footage for when it happened as I can see the led in that but the immobilizer didn’t come on. I was thinking possibly fuel pump or cam shaft position sensor, however I have put a code reader on the car and there are no fault codes coming up. So for now it seems I’ll make sure my breakdown is up to date and carry on driving it and see if it happens again, but I would like to get down to the bottom of why it happened in the first place.

happened to me twice in the last 2 years,

once was because of the fuel,as Will says, I was running low

second I think it was to do with my immobiliser...cannot remember the error code...

really annoying but nothing major... :wacko:

• Like 1

I did wonder if it may have sucked up a bit of @*!# but it is over a ¼ of a tank, I am going to fill up after work just in case. Nope I haven’t got any engine management lights on. I will continue to run it and see if the problem returns or puts any lights on. It’s going in for a full service on payday, it’s done 5000 miles since its last service but as I don’t know if the fuel filters and that where changed I want to get the whole lot done.

I did wonder if it may have sucked up a bit of @*!# but it is over a ¼ of a tank, I am going to fill up after work just in case. Nope I haven’t got any engine management lights on. I will continue to run it and see if the problem returns or puts any lights on. It’s going in for a full service on payday, it’s done 5000 miles since its last service but as I don’t know if the fuel filters and that where changed I want to get the whole lot done.

Go to Halfrauds and get some Wynns injector and fuel system clean and

bung the lot into a full tank. I do it every few months as I'm in town traffic and

it helps to keep it clean. :thumbs:

just a small update in case someone comes across the same thing. since that morning the Z has run spot on. I have done over 150 miles this week so iam putting it down to a funny 5 mins, Possible sucked up a bit a crap floating in the fuel :wacko:. however seems like it was nothing to worry about :thumbs:

• Like 2

It will do it again then it will leave you stranded!!!...FUEL PUMP!!!

About 2 months ago mine did that..left ne at the side of the road,after the AA took me home i sat in the car and thought il just try it and she fired into life..went to Abbey,no codes no explanation...she was fine for ages drove from kent to manchester used her everday not a blip then last week she did it again in the morning just leavin the sevices accelerating into 3rd she died...sat on the hard shoulder thinkin il just give her a minute and bang shed fired up...75 miles later and a visit to my mothers in bucks no probs...came out to go home turned the key and she was spluttering away barely running..brink of stalling!! She did this 3 or 4 times then the next turn of the key she was fine..running sweet...75miles home and not a blip,spoke to my mate been a mechanic for years n works for suzuki now told him what happened his words were "you lucky ***tard dont mess about change you fuel pump,next time you wont get home"

I just put a oem off ebay on,flush with wynns first,left if for a week the thought sod it n just changed it over...easy job. Mad thing is she was sweet for 2 months b4 she did it the second time but id rather know the pumps good than take a chance n be left at the side of the A20 again!! If it does happen again least ive cleaned the injectors and changed the pump so it wont be those....fingers crossed.

you in kent then?? Where??

is the pump in the tank? was just trying to find a what's involved to change the pump but couldn't find much tbh. Yea mines running sweet atm but its always in the back of my mind especially as I have some longer trips coming up. I chucked loads of fuel cleaner in when it first happened too lol. How long have you been running with the new pump? yea I'm in Gillingham in Medway. where are you?

Mate i was the same...it eats away at you wondering when its gonna happen again...

Yeah its in the tank the fuel pump is behind the passenger seat underneath of the "glove box You have to remove the interior plastics back there to get to it.

Im in sidcup,meet up if you want?

oh that's ok then doesn't sound like too bad of a job. I am going to look into the price of an uprated pump and just pray it doesn't happen again till pay day lol. going Birmingham on the 11th firger crossed the car wants to go aswell lol. yea iam always up for meeting up with other zed owners :) and i know sidcup as i got family and friends in crayford and orpington. iam quite busy the next few weeks, but on the 19th of October there is a zed meet in Sevenoaks normally gets a good turn out if you fancy it?

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90637-woodman-meet-sevenoaks/#entry1361151

Just checked it out n il be there,good luck wit B'ham,mine went to Manchester n back with no probs...thats the thing when its intermittent...you can go ages with nothing then it gets you when you least expect it....tempremental beast!!

Let me know how it goes.

It is possible that it is just c**p from the bottom of the tank and a good clean through would have sorted it,wish id done that first...you might do well to just run her n see if she does it again...just maje sure you got AA cover...

good stuff ill see you on the 19th then. I have done some research into uprated fuel pumps, so I know what I'm looking at if I go down that route but for now iam just going to keep running it and see if the problem arises again. If it does fingers crossed for a fault code next time. Keep us updated on yours as well and if your pump changed solved the issue.