DoogyRev's Winter (& Sumer) Project 2014/15 Update P3

DoogyRev

As it's only going to be for display you could try an orbital sander with some 40 grit pads or even a flat block of wood with some 40 grit on. You are going to have to remove some of the metal to get the pitting out then move on to the finer stuff. I can't quite see on my phone the missing chunk but is it something that could be filled with weld and then ground to shape? When you take it for blasting I've found a few layers of duck tape will protect the machined surfaces if you are careful and watch it doesn't get under the edges.

get medieval on it's ar$e I'd start with an angle grinder and work back from there - but that's just me :lol:

as Leonk say's bad holes can be fillied with weld - I think those could be sanded out - you could always get it skimmed ;)

I use 2 layers of masking tape - it's quite surprising but the sandblaster won't go through it easily - mind you that is a home setup - the one you are going to use may be a bit more powerful :scare:

I might be having a go at a tool box this winter - See you are an inspiration (and supplier of said toolbox) ;):lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Small Update, been a while since I had a chance to get more done on the old block.

Over Christmas I got one of these . . .

$_35.JPG

It came with a whole load of tools and gizmos B) Anyway, back to the final degreasing, all them annoying little holes everywhere :angry: Now I will be getting all the crud off the bits I want to polish, mask them up and get the inside and outside ready for a good anti-rust primer.

IMG_0104_zps3c58ce70.jpg

IMG_0105_zps7483a712.jpg

IMG_0106_zps85e4499c.jpg

IMG_0107_zps72343184.jpg

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 2

Slowest table build thread ever. :stir::lol:

You can't rush a good job. All I can say is it's a good thing we don't restore engines/cars for a living. There would be non of that Hotrod, Chopper. Monkey, crazy deadline rubbish though!

Looking good Doogy!

Edited by leonk

Managed to get some more prepping done this morning, since I am doing this in stages I will prep and prime one section at a time just to stop any rust creeping in to some of the nooks and crannies.

IMG_0114_zpsbba50abd.jpg

I also came across a neat trick from a video on you tube (will look for it later) when masking up something like a block, apply tape then with a small hammer tap the tape on the edge and it will just peel away. no cutting with a knife required . . every day is a school day B)

IMG_0117_zpsf0845981.jpg

IMG_0118_zps7e76c14b.jpg

Top and sides next :snack:

Thats all for now, thanks for looking :)

More done this evening . . .

Getting the top ready for priming

IMG_0119_zps93a4edf8.jpg

IMG_0120_zps408fd2b4.jpg

Hopefully get both sides completed tomorrow, which will leave the end that is currently fixed to the stand and the inside. I think since that not really going to be seen I will the use the remaining Truck Bed Lining I have laying about :teeth:

• Like 1

Got the remaining two sides done today . . just the back an the inside to do :teeth:

IMG_0124_zps1cf1cfa0.jpg

IMG_0125_zps9baba869.jpg

IMG_0126_zps04b6a196.jpg

IMG_0127_zps8e4055a1.jpg

Thats about all I am going to have time to do for the next month as its travel time again :plane:

But at least the bits I have done won't get any more rust on :surrender: for those with a keen eye you will have spotted some pitting, this will all be revisited at a later date.

Pretty pleased how its going so far . . slow I know :stir: Rather than just paint the bulk of it black, having the polished ends and some of the bolt faces will break it up a bit B)

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I last updated this . . or done anything to be honest, been busy and off galavanting round the world for work. Managed to get started again this weekend

I started with more prepping, sanding & polishing, its getting there . . long way to go yet

IMG_0163_zpsj4tctlae.jpg

Then started moved on to the inside, this will be sprayed next, but I have decided to polish some bits . . so more prepping :yawn:

IMG_0167_zpsxwgygaof.jpg

After I stripped all the skin off my knuckles I remembered I have some other bits . . so a quick delve in the ammo box . .

IMG_0054_zpshjpe4hws.jpg

I pulled out the best 5 cylinders and started degreasing a taking them apart

IMG_0170_zpsbljslw8n.jpg

IMG_0171_zpssn8tdjn4.jpg

All stripped and degreased. The Cylinders I will take to VapourBlast for a bit of DIY cleaning, the arms I think I might polish the ends and then spray the arms . . will have to see, going to think on it for a while.

IMG_0055_zpsgrbwnn2e.jpg

Thats all for now folks, might have some more updates next weekend. Thanks for looking :)

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

Another little update, Thought I would make a start on cleaning up the Cylinders . . .

IMG_0174_zpscrlqhtl3.jpg

IMG_0175_zpscwbtzyzu.jpg

And whilst doing this I was pondering on fixing the glass etc . .

IMG_0180_zpsss1afeqx.jpg

. . more pondering required I think.

and then this happened . . . it just snapped off your honour, :lol:

IMG_0176_zpsywx4g92p.jpg

Weirdly it also happened to the other three :scare:

IMG_0181_zpscm3efkfq.jpg

So I cleaned up all the rough edges

IMG_0182_zps8ptctgvc.jpg

IMG_0183_zpsyvt86acw.jpg

Looks like I have solved the "what to use for castors conundrum". I will start cleaning them up properly tomorrow, they should end up nice a shiney when I have finished . . just waiting for a special care package to arrive :ninja:

IMG_0177_zpsiuuuf1t1.jpg

IMG_0179_zpsfcrtbvzp.jpg

I have some ideas on how to support the glass, but still going to think on it for a while :shrug:

Thats all for now :wave:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

I decided that the feet need a little more work as top of the cylinder won't make for a stable fitting . .

IMG_0181_zpscm3efkfq.jpg

So out with the grinder again

IMG_0193_zpsyg7ymp3z.jpg

and some sanding and we have this . . .

IMG_0194_zps8qjuvivq.jpg

IMG_0195_zpstc82albo.jpg

More sanding :yawn:

IMG_0196_zpsgfzwpeuu.jpg

IMG_0197_zpslqwr4f4i.jpg

And there we go :teeth: Also did a bit of prep work on the Arms (forgot to take pics)

IMG_0198_zpssc3iywfp.jpg

Everything suddenly turned green :scare:

IMG_0199_zpsl3mnentu.jpg

IMG_0200_zpswlsvurpr.jpg

Already primed and the first top coat on . . off to do the second shortly :teeth:

• Like 1

:teeth:

IMG_0202_zpsmbpvpbms.jpg

IMG_0204_zpszwmdvk7r.jpg

IMG_0205_zpsuicsvpwo.jpg

Well they turned out ok, once my polishing ket arrives :ninja: . . they will end up a but shinier B)

I have a plan for the Glass supports . . maybe go on a reconnaissance mission tomorrow :lol:

Thats all for now peeps :wave:

Another quick update, been thinking about how to support the glass for the last few days

IMG_0206_zpsu3gogtrv.jpg

So I took this bit that come out originally

IMG_0207_zpsnnbpq3pr.jpg

Poked it back in the hole from whence it came . . and fitted some rubber chair leg covers

IMG_0210_zpsah2teya5.jpg

The glass should just rest on the rubber . . I think its going to be close though :surrender:

IMG_0208_zpsfghif52n.jpg

Now going to find somewhere to weld them on :teeth: but next up will back to prepping and spraying the block B)

IMG_0209_zpswzjiqbhe.jpg

:wave:

Edited by DoogyRev