Insured to drive other cars?

Grundy

Okay, just a quick question....

How do you know if you are insured to drive other cars? When I take out a policy etc, there isn't a specific question to say 'Do you want to be insured to drive other cars'

Is this just a older generation myth? :lol: As my Grandads assumption is, if you are fully comp, you are insured. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

just something to note to those who think they are covered, Seriously read all of your Term and conditions as it might be by default but might have a clause which makes it invalid or get it 100% confirmed by your insurance with a written letter, As an older guy i work with had the same outlook as some on this thread he got stopped in his wifes Z4 and now has 6 points on his license and a hefty fine for driving without insurance

• Like 1

Mine has been included since I turned 25. It covers me to drive any vehicle included on my driving license but only third party cover. I don't know if it's possible to get fully comp on all cars as they probably wouldn't want you to jump into a priceless classic or brand new ferrari and crash it if your only paying £300 a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just something to note to those who think they are covered, Seriously read all of your Term and conditions as it might be by default but might have a clause which makes it invalid or get it 100% confirmed by your insurance with a written letter, As an older guy i work with had the same outlook as some on this thread he got stopped in his wifes Z4 and now has 6 points on his license and a hefty fine for driving without insurance

definately this

on the whole though, after 25 you are covered but it is usually 3rd party only - but as StevoD says - you have to check

Some myths on here, but Stevo is right.

You can be covered DOC if under 25, but most insurers do not.

It can be included by default, but some insurers do not.

You cannot get DOC FC on any common road policy. Trader policy should do, though.

If in doubt, call and ask. Always!

• Like 1

Owned, leased or finance: I've never ever seen an insurer stipulate that. It wouldn't make sense, I reckon 60% of cars out there fall under that these days. Also it's only 3rd party, so they have no interest in the actual vehicle.

Owned in the household would not matter either, but obviously you can't own it yourself. Again though, with continuous insurance that makes that scam impossible.

As ever though, ask your insurer. They're all different.

Mine has always stated on the policy document that I am covered, never asked for it either

Always ? Since you were 17 ? I doubt it

I never said from 17, at that age it cost me £1500 3rd party. Let me clarify.

Mine has always stated on the policy document that I am covered to drive other vehicles 3rd party, but only since I could afford fully comp insurance which I've had since I was 22. I have never asked for it or used it either.

Edit: That was 10 plus years ago and I know the under 25 clause was implemented across the board not long after that, I think around 2005ish?

Edited by Lyndzzz

Well you cant DOC a rented car and as lease is long term rental ?

Also you must have owners permission not who the car is registered to if it is leased or financed and your mate says yea mate no worryz take it have you asked the owner, No . The owner is the finance/lease company and they will not let a randomer drive it on 3pft

This is worth a read

Edited by StevoD