Insured to drive other cars?

Grundy

Will vary by insurer, my son recently turned 21 and his policy now covers third party only with owners consent any car that is insured by owner, basically car has to be insured by owner and you need owners permission but all it does is make it legal for you to drive, there is no cover for any damage to the car in question.

Will vary by insurer, my son recently turned 21 and his policy now covers third party only with owners consent any car that is insured by owner, basically car has to be insured by owner and you need owners permission but all it does is make it legal for you to drive, there is no cover for any damage to the car in question.

This was my understanding, otherwise you could buy a car, register It in a family member or friends name and be covered under your policy on any old piece of junk you get insured for cheap on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if you have a driving other cars extension it will be noted on your Certificate of Insurance. It will say something like "the proposer may drive any motor vehicle not belonging to him and not hired to him under a hire purchase agreement"

If the words aren’t there then you don’t have the extension. You cant really ask for it either. It is usually given as standard to:-

• Proposers over 25

• Those not in the Motor Trade

• Those not insuring high group vehicles are also sometime excluded

Cover will usually be Third Party Only when using the extension and the vehicle will also need to have insurance in its own right.

A Motor Trade Insurance policy would allow you to drive multiple vehicles (under certain conditions) but will only be operative if you are genuinely in the Trade.

Ive had big discussions about this with various insurance companies over the years as I own several cars & motorbikes and was trying to find a way in which I could be covered to use them all without it costing me a fortune. The insurance companies all said that the "drive any other vehicle" cover, if on the policy, is third party only on the other vehicle. The other vehicle must not be owned by you and must already have its own insurance policy on it. They would typically give the example thats its typically so you can drive a mates car if in an emergency or to try it out.

I also enquired about trader insurance, thinking maybe I can get one policy to cover me on all my vehicles but then found that most trader policies dont cover both car & motorbikes, they are seperate. Also you have to be registered as a trader, and then as such have to have liability insurance and all sorts of extra stuff. The quotes I did get ended up costing the same as setting up 4 new separate insurance policies (2 with no ncb as I could only use that on one vehicle). It does mean now that I have 4 separate lots of NCB and 4 separate policies which gets a bit confusing at renewal time.

IMO insurance should be on the person and not tied to one vehicle. They should risk assess the individual, taking into account his driving history, record, experience etc... the same as they do now. Then look at the highest risk vehicle that person is going to be driving, then give a price based on that. You then should be allowed to drive any lower risk vehicles for free. So for example, if I had a £50k lambo and wanted to buy a £200 old banger to use in the week, leaving the lambo locked up in its secure garage, really the insurance company should be over the moon as statistically id have thought it would be a much lower risk of me crashing the lambo over the 12 month period. On the other hand, they might see it as if im only driving the lambo at the weekends im maybe going to be driving it harder than if im stuck on the a14 in stationary traffic..... who knows!

• Like 1

I'm with Admiral and its part of it, I've called and checked. Over 25 and fully comp gives you 3rd party (DON'T CRASH YOUR FRIENDS/FAMILYS CAR lol) so you won't get any costs towards the car your in if you have an accident. Used it a few times with my friends car when mines was being repaired but there is that 'fear' you get lol

Best thing to do is call the insurer and check and ask where it says this on the documents (section etc) as it is not automatic because you are over a certain age or fully comp, only certain insurers do this!

taken from my admiral certificate - so this should be written somewhere on your policy if you are allowed to

The Policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private

motor car not belonging to him/her and not hired to him/her under a

Hire Purchase Agreement, within our territorial limits, providing there

is a valid insurance policy in force for that car.