Ring Trip Completed - Ring Report...

Kuro

Ring Report: (it’s long – grab a coffee!)

Hi Folks :)

After what seems like months of planning, we finally got over to the Ring last week, and without doubt it was one of the best driving experiences so far, so much so that I thought I would bore you all to death with a ring report!

From the top :D

We opted for the Dover to Dunkirk service, which was ok if a little sparse. Dover is pretty uninteresting and the area around Dunkirk looks like the London Docklands did 20 years ago. From a Zed perspective the ramps and everything were fine, and the space aboard was good, and they weren’t over enthusiastic about cramming all of the cars together, so space around the Zed was fine.

Getting out of Dunkirk was easy enough thanks to our good pal Tom-Tom. Without the Tom-Tom the trip would have been much more painful! France was over and done with in a few miles (no tolls) and Belgium was one long, boring road. Although, the ring-road presented challenges even with the tom-tom. :wacko:

The first thing you notice about crossing into Holland and then into Germany in the quality of road. You switch almost instantly to lovely black asphalt rather than the loud brown concrete of Belgium. You also get much better signage too!

The Autobahn B)

Oh my, what a joy to drive on. Most of the Autobahns around Koln and Koblenz were two lane carriageways, and looked a little like some parts of the A1, but better maintained and less twisty. Not all of the stretches are unlimited (derestricted sign a little like ours) so you have to be a little careful, you’ll know when they become derestricted as magically an M5 will appear from nowhere and make you look like a complete snail… As the Germans seem to have excellent lane discipline (and no truck overtaking rules!) there are plenty of opportunities to stretch the Zed, but it took me a little time to get used to the feeling. I’m fairly compliant with UK driving laws, and so getting the “I’m gonna get banned/where’s the plodâ€

:thumbs: Top stuff!

If you decide to post the remainder of your photos on a pic-hosting site, be sure to leave a link here.

You have earned the right to a Nordschleife bumper sticker! :teeth: Makes me wonder how many people who have these stickers have in fact driven the circuit (for real, as opposed to on rFactor, GT4 or Forza).

Great write up, looking forward to a drive there myself one day.

Excellent pics and write up, it is a brilliant experience. I was nevous as hell when going to the entrance gate for the first time, I really do want to go back.

Great town, great atmosphere, great sightseeing, and Lots of non ring related activities and places to visit too.

Yes - you should get yourself one of these: :thumbs::teeth:

DSC_0070.jpg

That german ZED in black... am i right in thinking that was a custom paint job in MATT black...(not just photography effects)

looks uber- B)

really nice pics...and much better weather than i had on my trip... i have the ring bug now... i want to go again and again ... and again...

Excellent write up!

We always stay in Bad Munstereiffel - its a brilliant 25 min drive from the Ring. We got diverted the last time and ended up chasing each other (I was with another Z, two Scoobies and an M3) through alpine trees on an amazing windy road - awesome!

Can't wait to go again next year at the end of May - might try to get there before, the Z handles great on there but I was a passenger in my mates in his M3 and that truly is an awesome machine, respect.

You'll get asked what it is from time to time.

asking me why I had a map of Australia in my window but thought it wasnt quite the right shape... :unsure::lol:

I've had the exact same Q a few times...... :lol:

If you have a whiff of petrol in your blood, you HAVE to make this trip at least once.

Ian.

normal_SEATS_%284%29_%28Small%29.JPG