Horn and cruise control

benmo

Hi guys,

Bought my first 350z a few days ago. It's a 2005 GT.

Two things I've noticed after buying:

Nothing happens when pressing the horn

When pressing cruise, light appears as normal. I flick the 'set' switch and nothing happens.

Any ideas? I'm not very technical when it comes to cars so go easy if possible please :)

You have to press the horn pretty hard. Have you tried giving it a real hard press?

Cruise control I have no idea I'm sorry, ...never used mine but the instructions for it are in the manual. ;)

Yup, have tried pressing it hard!

Welcome to The Land of Zed, :welcome:

Sounds like a fuse, if you bought it from a dealer, take it back.. :thumbs:

I would but he is a few hundred miles away!! I will give him a ring tomorrow but I was wondering if it was something I'd be able to fix myself rather than drive for 200 miles haha.

• Like 1

There is a fuse for the horn ~ believe it's in the battery compartment bit with the fuses in there (15amp). That would be my first idea to check.

Otherwise it might be a lose wire in the steering wheel, faulty ground or (unlikely) both horns have simultaneously failed.

After you have checked the fuse & if it's ok then here's a guide on how to get at the horn wires inside the steering wheel; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/32500-how-to-remove-the-steering-wheel/

Some more related threads; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/83771-steering-wheel-horn-faultybroken/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/42823-horn-wont-work-fuse-is-fine/

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/240982-horn.html

Hope that helps a little. :thumbs:

Perhaps unrelated, but when I had my JDM Honda Prelude, the horn once failed to function properly, which in turn had an effect on my cruise control (don't ask me why or how it just was the case), once I had fixed the horn fault, the cruise control worked again as if nothing happened.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took a look at the fuse compartment. However, not too sure what I'm meant to do after that? Might be a bit dopey of me, but to me it looks like some are missing?...IMG_0255.JPG

RE cruise control; I tried it again before and lifted the clutch up with my foot and it seemed to work OK!

I took a look at the fuse compartment. However, not too sure what I'm meant to do after that? Might be a bit dopey of me, but to me it looks like some are missing?...IMG_0255.JPG

None missing, ...mine looks the same. ;)

The horn fuse is the 4th one along from the right ~ blue 15amp fuse.

Just pull it out to see if it's blown or not. If it is it will look similar to the pic below with a break in the metal strip inside.

Blown%20Fuse.jpg

None missing, ...mine looks the same. ;)

The horn fuse is the 4th one along from the right ~ blue 15amp fuse.

Just pull it out to see if it's blown or not. If it is it will look similar to the pic below with a break in the metal strip inside.

Blown%20Fuse.jpg

Just had a check, fuse looks normal. Any more ideas? :(

Just had a check, fuse looks normal. Any more ideas? :(

Just these..

Otherwise it might be a lose wire in the steering wheel, faulty ground or (unlikely) both horns have simultaneously failed.

After you have checked the fuse & if it's ok then here's a guide on how to get at the horn wires inside the steering wheel; http://www.350z-uk.c...steering-wheel/

:shrug: Good luck. ;)

• Like 1

Cheers - probably a garage job for me, don't feel too comfortable doing that!

Fair enough.

You definitely need a working horn for the MOT so it will need fixing plus with all the idiots on the roads nowadays it's only a matter of time before someone cuts you up & you'll definitely need a horn for that. :angry::D

Good luck and let us know what it was once it's sorted. Might help others out. :thumbs:

Cheers - probably a garage job for me, don't feel too comfortable doing that!

Fair enough.

You definitely need a working horn for the MOT so it will need fixing plus with all the idiots on the roads nowadays it's only a matter of time before someone cuts you up & you'll definitely need a horn for that. :angry::D

Good luck and let us know what it was once it's sorted. Might help others out. :thumbs:

Yup - that's how I found out it didn't work haha! And yes, will do. Thanks for everyones help.

I'm yet to take the car to the garage (this coming weekend), but I was wondering if there is a guide on how to test the horn? If I'm not mistaken, you can apply volts directly to it and test if it works?

Just thinking it will be easier if I test that and if it doesn't work I can tell the mechanic what I've already done and at the same time I'll also be learning how to fiddle with cars a bit more!!

Edit / Also, while I'm here... :lol: After driving for about 30-40 meters, wheels/brakes are making a really high pitched 'grasshopper'-sounding noise which stops immediately when the brakes are applied and starts again when I lift off the brakes, is this a warped disc maybe? ..Cheers!

Edited by benmo

Get yourself a multimeter if you haven't already got one. You can pick a cheap one up for around £10, and it will always come in handy for checking fuses etc.

Set it to DC VOLTS

Put the probes across the horn terminals as someone is pressing the horn.

Are you reading voltage? If not, ( and the fuse is ok) you need to check out the horn push connections on the steering wheel.

If you do get 12 volts then the horns are duff (unlikely) or possibly a bad earth connection

Edited by 350zedd
  • Like 1

Get yourself a multimeter if you haven't already got one. You can pick a cheap one up for around £10, and it will always come in handy for checking fuses etc.

Set it to DC VOLTS

Put the probes across the horn terminals as someone is pressing the horn.

Are you reading voltage? If not, ( and the fuse is ok) you need to check out the horn push connections on the steering wheel.

If you do get 12 volts then the horns are duff (unlikely) or possibly a bad earth connection

Brilliant, thanks. Will give it a go.

Went out and bought a multimeter and I'm just tinkering with the car at the mo, but I can't seem to find where the horn relays are where I apply the power?

I've found what I think are the two horns next to the front right headlight, but not much else. Could anyone be so kind to post a pic or two of where I'm looking? Cheers

I've found what I think are the two horns next to the front right headlight, but not much else.

Firstly just use the multimeter on each of the horns individually where the terminals connect whilst someone presses the horn button as 350zedd said in post n#16.

You will probably need to remove the front bumper to gain good enough access to test them. How to here; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/18660-how-to-remove-the-front-bumper/