Steering wheel horn faulty/broken

SJ350z

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, Mr clever clogs over here managed to completely annihilate the horn on the Zed in the steering wheel. :headhurt:

I've never taken a steering wheel off before and I have no idea how the components work inside. The horn section of the wheel now pushes in and the horn doesn't work. :wacko:

Any idea how I can get this fixed myself? Would it be a fuse ? A clip of some sort? I'll be fitting an aftermarket OMP wheel in the next couple of weeks so wanted to see if I could get the horn working at the same time. :p

Any ideas?

Cheers,

SJ

Edited by SJ350z

broken wire or fuse would be my guess

If I take the stock wheel off and investigate and take pictures will I be able to gain a better idea? It must be fixable surely?

I've been lucky overall not having to use the horn but about a month after it broke I was driving down the A3 in the far right lane and a car with Euro plates didn't indicate and came across and nearly took my front end out. Was not happy to say the least...

Lol Humpy :lol:

The horn itself is not located within the steering wheel.

First thing - check the fuse for the horn.

Second - Follow this to remove the centre part of your wheel (no need to remove the wheel at this point): http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/32500-how-to-remove-the-steering-wheel/

That piece of metal with the "TF" sticker on it is the press part of your horn. There are 2 springs behind those 2 big hex bolts which push it back out after you press it.

See the yellow wire in the second pic? It has a spade connector on it. Make sure that is connected to the press part of the horn as the pic shows.

The horn itself is not located within the steering wheel.

First thing - check the fuse for the horn.

Second - Follow this to remove the centre part of your wheel (no need to remove the wheel at this point): http://www.350z-uk.c...steering-wheel/

That piece of metal with the "TF" sticker on it is the press part of your horn. There are 2 springs behind those 2 big hex bolts which push it back out after you press it.

See the yellow wire in the second pic? It has a spade connector on it. Make sure that is connected to the press part of the horn as the pic shows.

Fuse for the horn- Will this be in the car fuse box ? If so where is said box? Under bonnet? Just asking to make sure as I haven't done any work as of yet to my Zed :)

Thank you for posting that mate. Will take the cover off at the weekend and investigate. If I cant work out what's wrong with it and why it doesn't work I'll take as many photos as poss and post in the thread.

Hopefully haven't damaged any of the cables/clips.