problems changing gear knob

SJ350z

Well I cant do this for shiiettt... :( got mulgrips on the bottom and had pliers on the top but was going to mark it so tried to my hand and it os not budging. There's like no space so its quite awkward as it is! Any ideas ??

I had to use a pair of grips on the shaft below the gear knob and got a pal to force the gear knob round from the passenger side as I couldn't get enough leverage on my own too much lock tight from the factory maybe, was extremely difficult to remove and unfortunately the oem gear knob was destroyed during removal but was well worth the effort as my replacement is great. I think there is a how to on here somewhere which describes using 2 pairs of grips, be careful not to twist the shaft as may cause damage, good luck

:thumbs:

:angry: :angry: Loctite is strong stuff lol. Will give this another go at the weekend. I know whats going to happen.. I'll get it off.. and my new knob wont fit :lol:

How many times have you swore at it so far, I did the air was blue with mine :lol:

Edited by tatooandy67
  • Like 1

If the methods as described above do not work for you then just remove the bolt and nut from the gear shift linkage and remove from the car the complete shifter.

Then just clamp it in a vice and screw off the the shift knob.

Alex. :)

Try tightening it, that can sometimes break the seal if it has been put on with Loctite or by a Sumo wrestler who happened to be passing the build line.

I had to use two BIG BIG grips on mine and it did destroy the leather but as I was replacing it I didn't mind.

David

Edited by Tinyflier