Tell me I'll be making a big mistake (Alfa 159)

Wasso

Completely agree Ian. Out of the cars iv looked at this is the only one that's got me excited

Only thing concerning me about the reliability issues are that my wife will be the main user and if anything happens when she's with the wee one she would just panic

It's not you who put me off- it's everyone else posting in this thread. They were much more positive in mine :lol:

Edited by LRF4N

Ian buy one! I wish you lived a little closer though because I think you would keep Falcon very busy with the new Alfa! :lol:

LA LA LA LA LA - can't hear a thing!!

Did you hear anything Irfan??

Ian buy one! I wish you lived a little closer though because I think you would keep Falcon very busy with the new Alfa! :lol:

LA LA LA LA LADA NIVA COSSACK?

Did you hear anything Irfan??

GRUNDY!!

• Like 1

Auto Express Owners Reviews.

There were some further down with a few issues with the initial release 2006.

58-reg Diesel, Owner for 1 to 3 years

My Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon is a gorgeously stunning looking car from both the outside and inside!! I love the driving position and the layout of the cockpit. I enjoy the fact that very few people risk buying this as a company car and therefore I see very few other 159's on the road. There are several niggles with the car which has frustrated me but I end up putting them down to the fact that "it's an Alfa and I knew they still have a reliability issue/build quality issues". If it was my own car I would not accept faults like rattles in the door, a creaking windscreen and intermittent juddering of the engine which the dealer doesn't think is there! Having said all this, I love the image of the Alfa and you have to admit it is a beautiful looking car!!

Reliability: 4/5 Build Quality: 2/5

09-reg Petrol, Owner for 1 to 3 years

The Alfa Romeo 159 is the most under rated car money can buy...

A brilliant car that is mouth watering beautiful.

Why people choose German cars over the 159 is beyond me.

First Alfa I have ever owned and if they cntonue to build cars like the 159 I will be back for more.

Very happy I chose the Alfa over the dull German brands.

Friends of mine kept warning me over reliability issues on owning am Alfa but my 159 has been perfect.

The funny thing is? These friends have never owned an Alfa so what would they know!

Reliability: 5/5 Build Quality: 5/5

09-reg Diesel, Owner for Less than a year

extremely under rated! I really get annoyed with all of the lazy journalism associated with cars in the junior exec class. As soon as BMW/Audi come up with a revised engine/model it automatically gets 5* whereas Alfa's are still regarded as a head V heart buy...nonsence!

But, the positive side of that is that my car maintains it's exclusivity! let everyone else drive round in their fairy light adorned, dull german barges ;-)

07-reg Diesel, Owner for 1 to 3 years

This is my first diesel and now I have got used to it I am really enjoying the power and smooth delivery of the 2.4 engine. It is a very comfortable car too and my local Alfa dealer have been excellent. There have been a couple of reliability issues but they have been sorted quickly and efficiently under warranty.

Reliability: 3/5 Build Quality: 3/5

08-reg Diesel, Owner for Less than a year

The best car I've ever owned. Looks fantastic, build quality is as good if not better than the German cars. It's such a great car to drive and feels much more special to own than anything else for the same money. Alfa have upped their game with the 159 and I would recommend one to anyone.

Reliability: 4/5 Build Quality: 4/5

09-reg Diesel, Owner for 1 to 3 years

The 159Ti with the 2.4L engine is superb. This engine deserves a medal but is often overlooked when magazines choose the 1.9. The key thing with an Alfa is to use a good dealer that knows what they are doing. Most problems and frustrations with Alfa's comes from poor dealerships.

59-reg Diesel, Owner for Less than a year

The 159 was a big step forward for Alfa Romeo. Its an amazing looking car which puts the German marques into the shadows. A little bit more storage in the cabin would be welcome but apart from that the 159 is a fantastic car that is lovely to drive.

08-reg Diesel, Owner for 1 to 3 years

Lovely car to drive and be in. No other car feels like such a good place to be. Wonderful driving experience and I always look forward to driving it. Requires some understanding that it isn't going to always be good car to own however.

Reliability: 3/5 Build Quality: 4/5

58-reg Diesel, Owner for 1 to 3 years

Excellent. It's only needed a standard service and a set of front tyres in 38,000 miles over 12 months. It didn't need the tyres until 35,000 miles. It's certainly silenced the people at work who "knew how unreliable Alfas are".

2007-reg Diesel, Owner for more than 5 years

Regularly serviced. well looked after. not a single problem except 2 light bulbs. As ticked previously, I drive motorways in uk and europe, a and b roads, town etc and my average consumption is satisfactory for such a heavy car.

Reliability: 5/5 Build Quality: 4/5

56-reg Petrol, Owner for 1 to 3 years

Great looking car. Nice to drive but not as fun as Alfas of old. Build and electrics much better than previous Alfas. Only major disappointment has been paintwork which scratches and chips far too easily.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/159/reliability#ixzz3Axpk47G1

I've owned my 156 for nearly 2 years now and its been spot on. the only thing i had play up was a cam position sensor which cost £500 as it was behind the cam belt to change so i had all that done and delt with.

In my family there are 3 alfas and all have been brilliant, only mine has had the one bit of trouble (still drove, just a bit lumpy on idle and light on the dash)

Go for it. get something a bit exciting instead of the civic.

• Like 1

Nice one Russ, good feedback.

To be fair after reading all those comments good and bad they're improved from what was Alfa. But how many good apples are there as a percentage of bad.

Who ever said the interior of the Zed is spot on. Nobody but we live with the other perks which make us smile.

I'm sure the Alfa does the same but looks so much better than all other cars in its class.

I think I'm dead cert now of a 159, all depends now on making sure the right car in good condition for the money is found.

159 is a great looking car, but id probably get the 1.9jtd rather than the 5 pot, expecially for piling the miles on. I've got the 1.9 in the Punto, and its quick enough. Having said that, i'm getting a petrol next time as i can't stand the way diesels drive.

Well the 2.4 I'm just selecting for a bit of fun time on the motorway. Out of the 160 miles a day 150 of those miles are motorway.

I'm thinking also a cruiser is going to be a little more efficient with motorway miles than the 1.9 dragging the same body weight.

Furthermore if I want to slide some mods in with the Alfa like a remap I'll get greater benefits from the 2.4

Cheers though Andy I did consider the 1.9 :thumbs:

Why do I get the feeling you were just going to buy a 159 all along Ian! :lol:

Not necessarily, I wanted to see some true comments come from the board. Pretty fair comments this far and additional research over the last 24hrs is convincing me to buy.

Black is the colour of choice I'd say.

Already been looking at modding parts :lol:

The Alfa Rosso red is notorious for stone chips as for some reason the paint is very brittle. If buying a red Alfa expect excess chipping. My old GT was no exception and the rear arches and bonnet were covered.

Strange in 16 years I hardly had a chip on my red Alfa. Perhaps I didn't drive fast enough to kick up a stone. :)

Red is the only colour for an Alfa. Red leather in mine as well.