Vibration.

AJRFulton

I was driving down the motorway when a lorry about 100m in front had a blow out. Out of instinct I braked hard as there was a tyre carcass being blown across the road (thankfully nothing behind), scrubbing 30-40 mph off.

I'm now getting terrible vibration when cruising at speed, and when light braking at in town speed. This just appeared to happen with this one braking incident.

I thought warped disc, but.... I wouldn't expect warping so suddenly.

Any ideas?

Doubt I locked the wheels, the ABS kicked in, besides the road was damp and I don't see a flat spot.

Balance weights - appear to all be there. I'd expect any missing ones would be leave a mark where they once were.

The alignment still appears fine. Hands off the wheel and the car still wants to go straight. Also checked for blisters and the likes, but nothing.

I had to drive home from Lancaster to Glasgow after my night shift..... The vibration through the car is at it's worst around motorway speed, however ease off 10-15mph and it is a bit better. I never tried faster than motorway speed. I would say it appears to be getting worse with increased mileage.

Under braking the car is ok at higher speed, but once it gets to about 20-30mph there is a very marked vibration through the wheel, the wheel shakes maybe 2cm in either direction.

It feels very much like a warped disc..... I just don't see how I could warp a disc instantaneously by doing the manoeuvre described. Also the fact it appears to be getting worse, when I've barely touched my brakes on a 180 mile motorway drive, makes me wonder.

• Like 1

Sounds like brakes to me mate.

Put some heat through them and try to smooth them out with some progressive, firm breaking.

I had what seems to be similar sort of issue trying to the Ring once through the mountains.

Doing what I suggested sorted it out.

Mate.

You and this car :( .

Tell me about it.

For all the pro's of the Z, and the things I love about it..... it's been a pretty awful car, and not a great ownership experience from the dealership.

First and last Nissan I'll own :(

Also trying the brake bed in procedure and it's getting worse, much to the point I question if the car is actually safe to drive as it's lurching to the side sometimes on braking now.

The vibration is now massive on braking..... easily the worst I've experienced in my driving life.

I'm starting to think it's more than a simple warped disc....

Also trying the brake bed in procedure and it's getting worse, much to the point I question if the car is actually safe to drive as it's lurching to the side sometimes on braking now.

The vibration is now massive on braking..... easily the worst I've experienced in my driving life.

I'm starting to think it's more than a simple warped disc....

Doesn't sound good at all, hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

Makes me think you have a cracked disc or disintegrating pad(s) or something has come loose on one of the calipers.

Did you perhaps collect some of the tyre debris from the blow out that has caused some damage? Just a thought for a visual check.

From what you have described I think I would use a breakdown service to get you to the dealer as something might suddendly let go altogether...... :scare:

• Like 2

Well I can officially say Macklins Nissan has the worst customer service of any company I've ever used...... They were already pretty low on the list, but today just confirms it.

When any customer comes in saying they have a potentially dangerous brake fault.... they shouldn't be turned away. Let alone a customer whom has booked in to see a tech, to be turned away, not once.... but twice... eh!

I brought the car home.... they can pay for the truck to take it to the dealership, as I ain't driving it.

Edited by AJRFulton

Well I can officially say Macklins Nissan has the worst customer service of any company I've ever used...... They were already pretty low on the list, but today just confirms it.

When any customer comes in saying they have a potentially dangerous brake fault.... they shouldn't be turned away. Let alone a customer whom has booked in to see a tech, to be turned away, not once.... but twice... eh!

I brought the car home.... they can pay for the truck to take it to the dealership, as I ain't driving it.

Absolutely pi$$ poor mate, shame it has totally ruined your time with the 370, problems you can deal with, but poor service is just inexcusable!

I know you have had enough of dealing with Nissan, but honestly that response by Macklins is totally unacceptable and would urge you to let Nissan Customer Services about that and it being the last straw leading you to now buy a BMW due to the poor back-up service. PLEASE!

I've just been unlucky I guess. Another problem appeared today, I think I've blown a speaker.

It was an absolute no brainer when I seen the figures for the BMW. I'm going to be paying less and getting a car that's equal if not slightly faster in the real world (either way, very similar performance). I'll be paying less on fuel, and less per month for it...... all I need to do is give my keys over, and drive away in a brand new car.

Will always look back favourably on the Z though. From the head it's a nonsense car, but..... it appeals to the heart.... as brilliant as this new BMW will be, I'm not sure I'll ever love it like the Z.

• Like 1

I know you have had enough of dealing with Nissan, but honestly that response by Macklins is totally unacceptable and would urge you to let Nissan Customer Services about that and it being the last straw leading you to now buy a BMW due to the poor back-up service. PLEASE!

Definitely Colin,

It would of took a tech 5 minutes to drive it for a mile, and experience it... and make decision based on that.

I booked in for yesterday, and was told they were too busy to see it. So rearranged for today, which caused me inconvenience.... only to be told they are too busy again. I start my shift rota again tomorrow, and now don't have time... I'm driving my mums car temporarily.

They did offer me to leave the car with them.... but couldn't offer me a courtesy car - which would of left me stranded 15 miles from home, and about 2hrs on public transport to get home.

Definitely Colin,

It would of took a tech 5 minutes to drive it for a mile, and experience it... and make decision based on that.

I booked in for yesterday, and was told they were too busy to see it. So rearranged for today, which caused me inconvenience.... only to be told they are too busy again. I start my shift rota again tomorrow, and now don't have time... I'm driving my mums car temporarily.

They did offer me to leave the car with them.... but couldn't offer me a courtesy car - which would of left me stranded 15 miles from home, and about 2hrs on public transport to get home.

Too busy charging some poor old pensioner £500 for new brake discs on their Micra that they did 't even need...

In all honestly I just couldn't live with Beemer - just something about the look of it that leaves me totally cold. But I get why you've given up on the 370. As I said, I think you've been very unlucky - the experience of the great majority of people on here does not mirror your own. Anyway, I hope you have a better experience with the new car.

I do recognise the customer service gripes though. My experience of Nissan dealers is they're very helpful when you're buying but much less interested if you have a post-sale issue. When we picked up the Nismo (which was briefly a demonstrator) we discovered on the drive home that the mirror built into the sun visor was broken. Doesn't sound much but it's an integrated part so a £200+ fix to replace the whole visor. It took a lot of badgering, complaining and threats to escalate the issue before they finally admitted they knew it was broken all the time and didn't tell us. Eventually got them to pay for a replacement visor but it was very hard work. Poor service for such a pricey car.

In all honestly I just couldn't live with Beemer - just something about the look of it that leaves me totally cold. But I get why you've given up on the 370. As I said, I think you've been very unlucky - the experience of the great majority of people on here does not mirror your own. Anyway, I hope you have a better experience with the new car.

I do recognise the customer service gripes though. My experience of Nissan dealers is they're very helpful when you're buying but much less interested if you have a post-sale issue. When we picked up the Nismo (which was briefly a demonstrator) we discovered on the drive home that the mirror built into the sun visor was broken. Doesn't sound much but it's an integrated part so a £200+ fix to replace the whole visor. It took a lot of badgering, complaining and threats to escalate the issue before they finally admitted they knew it was broken all the time and didn't tell us. Eventually got them to pay for a replacement visor but it was very hard work. Poor service for such a pricey car.

See..... I'd of said that...... until I drove it.....

I went a test drive off the cuff with no intention of buying, I only went out because it was there.... Indeed until 48hrs ago I didn't look twice at this car, or know much about it..... the test drive convinced me to buy it.

If only it looked a bit more special though. This is the only big thing the Z has over it IMO.