Lotus Elise - Do or Don't????

Diab2005

So in work today I was considering which car I would want to move onto after my beloved 350z.

I was initially considering 370z's to drop to the 12k mark but then realised that it's possible to get a Lotus Elise Series 2 for around the 10-11k mark now.

Just thought I would put a post up on here to see if there's anyone who has owned one and if they have any advice as to whether it would be a good move or bad? Anything to look out for etc.

It's important to note that this thought process did happen in work and once I left and drove back in the Z I did feel a great sense of .,..i'm not entirely sure what I was thinking...I don't know if I could let go of the zed... :wacko: .

Hmmmm...it would deff have to be a day to day driver. I wouldn't be able to afford to have that as well as another. What's your advice down to ...weather etc. I thought seem as it's supposed to handle amazingly that it may be ok??? Or is it down to maintenance?

I'm 6ft as well so maybe that will be a problem...

I know this is a hard question to answer but what are your opinions and when the 370z might drop to the 10-12k mark...I know your not psychics but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts?

I went from 350z to VX220 (effectively an S2 but a few extra bits and pieces) and for driving a couple of times a week it was great. Used it to drive to footy on weds evenings and then blasting around on weekends. In terms of sheer raw driving excitement clearly it blows away the Zed BUT it is clearly not as practical. You are sitting literally inches from the floor, you have to clear a wide sill to get in and out. The boot on my VX could hold 2 small suitcases so wasnt as bad as people say.

Height wise I am around the 5'11'' mark and had no problems in terms of head room. On the VX the roof is of the type that rolls off, some of the older S2s I think still have the fishtail style roofs which makes the little cheat of rolling back the roof a bit to get your head in redundant.

Stunning cars handling wise and very hard acceleration (0-60 5.5 secs ish) - like I said an awesome raw driving experience, like going out on a track day everytime you drive it down the road.

But in terms of using every day, not really.

• Like 1

Hire one for the day and do a 200 mile journey.

If you like it then buy it.

Simples.

Alex. :)

That is a quality idea Alex..think i'll deff do that..may end up hiring 100 different potential buys...suppose there could be worst things to spend your weekends doing!

So it's basically a comfort thing then :D . Your inputs appreciated guys definitely put a different angle on things....

So in work today I was considering which car I would want to move onto after my beloved 350z.

I was initially considering 370z's to drop to the 12k mark but then realised that it's possible to get a Lotus Elise Series 2 for around the 10-11k mark now.

Just thought I would put a post up on here to see if there's anyone who has owned one and if they have any advice as to whether it would be a good move or bad? Anything to look out for etc.

It's important to note that this thought process did happen in work and once I left and drove back in the Z I did feel a great sense of .,..i'm not entirely sure what I was thinking...I don't know if I could let go of the zed... :wacko: .

It depends on what u will use your next car,..........if u want a real "fun-car" i can recommend the KTM X-BOW,..........i drove it last weekend,.........awesome.....

Will be my ny next choice if its affordable

It depends on what u will use your next car,..........if u want a real "fun-car" i can recommend the KTM X-BOW,..........i drove it last weekend,.........awesome.....

Will be my ny next choice if its affordable

HAHAHA those things look bloody mad...how did you end up driving that???

It is not that rare for people to use them as daily drivers. I met a guy at Guildford who had done 145k in an S1!

Yes, there are some practical issues - sill width, boot size and roof system - but with the more comfortable seats of the S2 I think you will be pleasantly surprised. However, my perception was based on having owned 2 Caterhams and 1 Westfield prior to getting the Elise :lol: The only thing I regretted was lowering mine - I should have left it as it was manufactured.

Alex's idea of hiring one is a good way to go. If you want to experience what proper steering feels like, it's worth it for that alone.

Hire one for the day and do a 200 mile journey.

If you like it then buy it.

Simples.

Alex. :)

Only problem with this is that you WILL want to buy one, but living with it every day for months on end is a different experience.

Yea tbf I have been looking at similar questions too mine on other forums and a lot of owners do use them as a daily driver.

Im going to go look at one after work today its 3k over budget and has 71k on the clock so I wont be buying it...they dont need to know though so im hoping I can blag a test drive

I wouldn't recommend one as a daily and only car. Nothing really compares and the running costs compared to the 350Z are excellent. If you do buy a good example you won't lose much if any money over the next couple years, mines still worth what I paid for it a couple years ago.

I went from a 350Z to a S2 111S but I also have a gen 7 Celica as my daily. I did a 300 mile round trip last Wednesday and my back wasn't happy after.

So I went to see it I found it fairly simple getting in to with the roof down..not much difference from the zed in my opinion and even got referred to as a pro from the sales guy...he didn't say the same about my skills getting out of it. Banged my head on the way out however as previously mentioned that doesn't worry me practice is what is needed there.

The seat comfort was some what non existent so I suppose it's going to be a weigh up whether I can live with it. I think i'm going to keep saving and then go back when the cash is available and test drive...I chickened out of asking to test drive it due to knowing I didn't actually want the elise they were selling as it was overpriced for mileage etc.

They did give me a rough estimate of 5.5k trade in value on my 04 zed with 66k on the clock however I feel I could get 7k for this potentially if I sell privately

Roof off getting in/out is a completely different method, it throws you the first couple times as your so use to getting in with the roof on.

If you didn't find it to difficult try an S1, the sill is even higher. Golden rule though is no touching, sitting or sliding on the sill as it's like cake icing and marks easily.