£30K family car thats not a German barge??

gangzoom

Skoda VRS, save the other £8k for curries and drink!

Or the Superb if you want more toys , both take a lot of beating and consistently score very highly on customer satisfaction surveys

Mazda 6- nice interior and IMO very good looking car. Not sure how the build quality/drive are

The Mazda 6 is a good shout. New interiors look lovely, and the new Skyactiv engines get a very good write up. Good MPG from a smooth Petrol is a bonus.

Thanks for all the suggestions..

Car is mainly for the wife and she has no interest in performance, she just wants something economical, reliable, practical but a bit more luxury inside than the Civic.

The IS300H is top runner at present, will wait and see what the XE is like but the Mazda 6 looks interesting too, over 70 mpg and pretty cheap in comparison....Lets see what she thinks

Edited by gangzoom

The XF has a few niggles like any marque I guess, one of the main ones is the rear loom which is quite tight and gets stretched when the boot opens...

If you drive one you will want one ;)

You can get a 2011 XFS in your price range, as quick as a Zed but you won't get 50mpg, I average 30 around town and 45 on a long run though

Mazda is out, she doesn't like the look, think I'll wait and see what the XE looks like.

Suppose if we get a new one with warranty and than extend the warranty that should sort any issues out.

The XE should be nice, lighter, 2 door and there will be decent economical 4 pot petrol engines too :)

If you look at the amount of XF's that have been sold there are not too many problems, no more than any of the German alternatives anyway :shrug:

Did I not say that? :p

Thing is, if it's as unreliable as you suspect then can you afford to be off the road? Courtesy car is not guaranteed with Jag.

You will get a courtesy car from most Jag dealers if you bought the car from them, some of them even bring the car to you and take yours ;)

Oh I've no doubt they offer them, but if they're all booked out then they can't give you what they don't have.

Porsche do the collection thing too, it's a really nice touch.

Sturgess who are one of the main Jag dealers will always give you a courtesy car for any warranty work apparently, just going on what I have seen on the Jag forums, mine is out of warranty anyway so I wouldn't even get a skateboard :lol:

Honestly I looked around for a good while before I got my XFS and yes there are a few niggles, but nothing scary, the engines and drive train are tried and tested, yeah you could get a Friday afternoon car like anyone I guess, but Jag are high on customer satisfaction for a reason. No reason to think the XE will be any different hopefully but nothing is guaranteed :)

Took an Audi A6 Avant out the other day with the new Ultra Engine and I was very impressed. I know it's not what you're looking for but would suggest trying one. They will come down thousands if you haggle hard. Just a thought.

We definitely don't want anything German, I really do like the sound of the XE....shame it's still not going to be announced for a months, and wouldn't be on sale till next year.

Still more time to save up for a fully loaded one.

Yeah there is always that!

Husky is the man to PM for some insider info maybe :ninja: