Grundy & Stevo Weight Loss Challenge

StevoD

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will loose the most

How are you getting on with the Insanity? Have you got the full programme?

Yeah I got through it earlier in the year. Now I just do the top end ones a couple of times per week.

My fitness still has a way to go and losing more weight will help obviously but the insanity has vastly improved my recovery times. At TKD after a session I used to be utterly FUBAR but now I feel like 'yeah that was hard work but could do some more' and it's been the insanity that's done it.

It helps a bit that there's some fit birds in the vid, Shaun T is quite fit too :cloud9:

Interesting read guys, keep at it :) I was 15 stone 3 a while back when me and the mrs started a low carb diet. I lost a fair whack quite quickly but not weighed myself in ages. I've been doing a massive amount of heavy gardening and as always I put on muscle real quick countering the fat loss as far as the scales are concerned, so i've been going by belt holes instead.

The low carb diet has been an interesting thing to do and yes it does work if you properly stick to it. I'm not talking zero carb here, I'm talking about mainly reducing processed crap, so no sugary stuff etc. I think I'm on about 25-30g of carbs a day atm which is a really good place to be for fat burning. the principle behind it is that when your body gets so low on carbohydrate, it switches it's main fuel source to fat instead, combined with exercise you burn it real quick. Also you pay attention to how your body reacts to certain nutrition at times of the day. For instance, eating a chunk of carbs in the morning gives you a huge insulin spike, it brings the fat burning your body does while you sleep to a grinding halt, and also stimulates production of new fat cells.

So I stopped eating any cereal, tbh I never bothered much with breakfast anyway, but if i do have something, it's a cup of tea and if i'm really dying, a bit of cheese.

For lunch today I have sausages with mozzarella and red Leicester cheese, spinach, cucumber, hard boiled egg and carrot. That's pretty much my staple for lunch at work these days. For dinner I'll probably have burgers cooked with cheese (no breadcrumbs), a side of some bacon, a pile of spinach, cucumber, carrot, and whatever other horrible green stuff we have in the fridge.

If i get peckish during the day I'll have some cheese, but I can tell you, I utterly love cheese but you get really bored with it eventually, and you find just staying a little hungry more appealing.

You think "oh that's a lot of fat", yeah, it has to be, it's what my body is running on with barely any carbs kicking around. The first week utterly sucks, you would basically lick a rice crispy off the floor your body craves carbohydrate so much, but once it's got over that hump and you are in Ketosis you are on the easy road.

Worth having a read about it, like any diet there's negative reviews and positive but for me anyway it has really worked.

As for the insanity work outs, honestly find something else, if you read into the reviews they show that it is dangerous and has not been approved by many health and fitness institutes. I can tell you from experience it's not great as I tore my calf muscle doing it, that took 3 weeks to heal. They don't warm you up properly and a lot of the form shown in the video is bad causing injury, even stuff the instructor does. Just get out and do something instead like running, swimming, walking, digging, climbing, anythinging

I'd disagree on the warm up point of view and with respect to being dangerous, do you mean over excursion? They constantly tell people to check their heart rate and anyway surely it depends on how hard you push? He's always saying keep good form too.

For my needs it's great as it's really helped my fitness and recovery times.

I can only assume Husky that you didnt warm up properly or went at it too hard too soon. I know my limits and always work myself in gradually.

I'd disagree on the warm up point of view and with respect to being dangerous, do you mean over excursion? They constantly tell people to check their heart rate and anyway surely it depends on how hard you push? He's always saying keep good form too.

I can only assume Husky that you didnt warm up properly or went at it too hard too soon. I know my limits and always work myself in gradually.

Come back Husk!

109kg this morning

so only a lose of 1.5kg

i agree with Dave!!! only 1.5k... dont forget where you started!!! 116kg and now 109kg... thats 7kg!! thats 15.4lbs... over 1 stone!

well done mate!

put that into perspective... go down the local supermarket and get a small 5kg sack of spuds and pick it up.. you will soon realise just how much you have lost

keep up the good work! its working :thumbs:

Done it exactly as it was shown, I'm not an idiot :lol: I've done plenty of workouts/gym stuff other than that. I warmed up as per the warmup in the routines, we were keeping to the full scheduled calendar of workouts. I was doing it because the mrs wanted too, in all honesty I didn't like it right from the word go, it involved a lot of stress on your calfs with lots of jumping and bouncing. The stretching is all of what? 3 minutes at the start? Not enough. In my opinion, you should do a 10 minute stretch and warm up routine before even pressing play on each video, their idea of a warmup is ridiculous and is asking to hurt yourself. My calf tore pretty badly, I do push hard when working out and that is indeed what's encouraged by the trainer.

And the whole "check your heart rate" bollocks he does is irritating, you can tell some lawyer has told them he has to say that periodically. It is not set up to be able to take breaks properly, because it is so intense, taking a break means you miss a large amount of training quickly meaning your workout is massively unbalanced.

It's been shown by professionals that his form and definitely that of the people in the video is not good enough to be a safe example to follow. When he says "check your form", again, another lawyer induced phrase from him.

Did I lose weight? Yes in the short term, no in the long term because i could do naff all for 3 weeks resting my leg, limping in pain.

From what I've read, insanity is an ok workout for people who are already quite fit, it is simply not for people who are trying to lose weight and get in shape from being a chubby git.

Ugh, I'm ranting. Honesty, you'd be 100% better off just going for a run, then you don't have some stupid woman called tanya (or whatever her name was) making overacted faces like she's even finding it difficult. I hate that woman!

Done it exactly as it was shown, I'm not an idiot :lol: I've done plenty of workouts/gym stuff other than that. I warmed up as per the warmup in the routines, we were keeping to the full scheduled calendar of workouts. I was doing it because the mrs wanted too, in all honesty I didn't like it right from the word go, it involved a lot of stress on your calfs with lots of jumping and bouncing. The stretching is all of what? 3 minutes at the start? Not enough. In my opinion, you should do a 10 minute stretch and warm up routine before even pressing play on each video, their idea of a warmup is ridiculous and is asking to hurt yourself. My calf tore pretty badly, I do push hard when working out and that is indeed what's encouraged by the trainer.

And the whole "check your heart rate" bollocks he does is irritating, you can tell some lawyer has told them he has to say that periodically. It is not set up to be able to take breaks properly, because it is so intense, taking a break means you miss a large amount of training quickly meaning your workout is massively unbalanced.

It's been shown by professionals that his form and definitely that of the people in the video is not good enough to be a safe example to follow. When he says "check your form", again, another lawyer induced phrase from him.

Did I lose weight? Yes in the short term, no in the long term because i could do naff all for 3 weeks resting my leg, limping in pain.

From what I've read, insanity is an ok workout for people who are already quite fit, it is simply not for people who are trying to lose weight and get in shape from being a chubby git.

Ugh, I'm ranting. Honesty, you'd be 100% better off just going for a run, then you don't have some stupid woman called tanya (or whatever her name was) making overacted faces like she's even finding it difficult. I hate that woman!

Well I wouldnt kick Tanya out of bed and at the end of the day that's all that really matters :lol:

Yup, that's still good mate :thumbs:

By your own admission you've not been as good as you could've been, so it's not fair to expect the same results. Try working really hard next week and seeing if you get good numbers again: Only you will know if the trade off is worth it.