Brake judder

tomdotc

I've got some brake judder and feels as if it's coming from the rear. I can feel heavy vibration through the steering wheel and happens anywhere from 30+ mph. I had to change my front discs and pads anyway so I changed them over for black diamond ones and still had the same issue. Today I have changed the rears over as well for black diamond and still getting the same. I've gone through previous topics and unsure if some of it applies to me as I have already replaced discs and pads.

It happens when in gear and when in neutral and also happens when the clutch is held down. I'm thinking of taking it to Sly at Kaizer motors but wanting to get other peoples opinions/thoughts on the issue and see what I can do before I take it to Sly.

Can anyone offer advice on what this could be?

I've got some brake judder and feels as if it's coming from the rear. I can feel heavy vibration through the steering wheel and happens anywhere from 30+ mph. I had to change my front discs and pads anyway so I changed them over for black diamond ones and still had the same issue. Today I have changed the rears over as well for black diamond and still getting the same. I've gone through previous topics and unsure if some of it applies to me as I have already replaced discs and pads.

It happens when in gear and when in neutral and also happens when the clutch is held down. I'm thinking of taking it to Sly at Kaizer motors but wanting to get other peoples opinions/thoughts on the issue and see what I can do before I take it to Sly.

Can anyone offer advice on what this could be?

Good call - never want to leave a braking issue longer than is absolutely necessary.

Mine judders a little bit too when breaking at high speeds. It was extremely bad, then I change my discs and pads and now it's not bad, but it still does it.

What's a DTV Alex?

Sent from Tapatalk

Disk Thickness Variation

Info http://www.bendix.com.au/news/disc-thickness-variation-dtv-issue-14

Can also be warped disks (not quite the same thing)

Mine judders a little bit too when breaking at high speeds. It was extremely bad, then I change my discs and pads and now it's not bad, but it still does it.

What's a DTV Alex?

Sent from Tapatalk

Disk Thickness Variation

Info http://www.bendix.com.au/news/disc-thickness-variation-dtv-issue-14

Can also be warped disks (not quite the same thing)

Cheers keyser

Sent from Tapatalk

Would DTV even occur with new discs? Thought that only happened over a period of time/use.

That change seemed to been missed by those mentioning DTV, noting you said the issue remained after changing discs. That suggested to me something else was amiss.

Hence why I thought your idea to visit a well respected ex HPC Nissan Technician was a good idea, :thumbs:

There's probably some rust or other crud on the mating surface between the disc and the hub which is amplifying the imbalance when braking. Discs these days never warp but pad deposits can build up causing dtv issues. If pad deposits are suspected, the posted link and the bedding in procedure should be followed. If that doesn't work, take off the disc to clean the hub surfaces.

A good tool to use when changing your own discs is a "Dial Test Indicator" (DTI for short) its a relatively inexpensive tool at around £20 including the stand, really simple to use, once your new discs are fitted you will be able to see high points caused by an uneven mating surface by spinning the disc while the DTI plunger is touching against it.

This video is pretty self explanatory of what to do, 1st few seconds are too bright to read DTI , but after that you get to see it properly.

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 1

There's probably some rust or other crud on the mating surface between the disc and the hub which is amplifying the imbalance when braking. Discs these days never warp but pad deposits can build up causing dtv issues. If pad deposits are suspected, the posted link and the bedding in procedure should be followed. If that doesn't work, take off the disc to clean the hub surfaces.

This ^

If it the same from both sets of discs. The smallest bit of crud on the hub will unbalance a disc. Take them off and thoroughly clean the mating surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem fixed.

Turns out it was a build up of rust / crud on the hub. Sly @ Kaizer Motors fitted new discs and pads as well, did usual bedding in and already notice a massive difference in braking now and no more judder! Sly showed me before and after pictures of the hubs and the difference is amazing, they look brand new now :D

Sly if you read this, just want to thank you once again for doing a top job on this and managing to fit me in despite a busy schedule.

Edited by tomdotc

Tagging on to this topic, I noticed tonight that I have a slight judder through the steering wheel and through the brake pedal now. I have newish dics and pads (less than 1000 miles) tyres are virtually new, all balanced and 4 wheel alignment, I recently had the front wheels off to clean areas around the brake pipes, I torqued them back up properly and re torqued again after about 50 miles. Also, it feels as if the car moves very slight to the left or right when braking hard, what could this be, cheers Rob

All the answers are in this topic and as the OP was effected by DTV then I would suspect that you have similar issues and the only fix is a good clean up and fit new pads and rotors.

Have a read through all the previous posts in this thread. to get an idea of this issue.

Alex. :)