What was your very first car?

xStric9x

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I missed this thread before.

This was my first - a 1954 Morris Minor, with split windscreen and original pop-up "trafficators". I bought it in 1969 for £10; the original 803cc side-valve engine had seized so I towed it home, picked up a more recent Morris Traveller with a good 998cc engine but rotten bodywork, swapped the engine into the saloon and was on the road for £25 plus a couple of days hard work. :thumbs:

thumb_std_Morris_Minor_Series_2_1954_f3q.jpg

I just watched the 5th Gear episode where Tiff drives one around their track. That car actually was quite well balanced for its day!

Vauxhall Chevette "L" in Brown

Was this similar to the American Chevy Chevette? I'm still learning my European only cars :teeth:

Isn't Vauxhall basically GM Europe?

Vauxhall/Opel is GM in Europe but I don't think they sold this in the states did they...

6218_1.JPG

Vauxhall Chevette "L" in Brown

Was this similar to the American Chevy Chevette? I'm still learning my European only cars :teeth:

Isn't Vauxhall basically GM Europe?

Vauxhall/Opel is GM in Europe but I don't think they sold this in the states did they...

6218_1.JPG

That particular model didn't make it stateside but it sure looks like our Chevy Vega from the 1970's

Can't believe I missed this thread before.

This was my first - a 1954 Morris Minor, with split windscreen and original pop-up "trafficators". I bought it in 1969 for £10; the original 803cc side-valve engine had seized so I towed it home, picked up a more recent Morris Traveller with a good 998cc engine but rotten bodywork, swapped the engine into the saloon and was on the road for £25 plus a couple of days hard work. :thumbs:

thumb_std_Morris_Minor_Series_2_1954_f3q.jpg

I just watched the 5th Gear episode where Tiff drives one around their track. That car actually was quite well balanced for its day!

It was really, even allowing for the fact that performance was very limited. They did have a slight tendency for wheel bearings to crumble unexpectedly, and two of my friends both had the unique experience of watching their own wheels overtake them! :scare:

I am reminded of a previous thread in here about winter driving - the Morris was really good in the snow, due probably to low torque and very narrow tyres.

May have already been covered somewhere but hey... Mine was a 1.3 ford fiesta mk1 super sport B) I thought it was the dogs nuts and faster than anything on the road :lol:
mine was a ford focus studio 1.4 loved it now got a Z hhaa just a bit of a change:P

:scare::scare: at those doors.............

• 3 weeks later...

1971 1200cc VW Beetle Marina Blue (£400 which my dad lent me) - I loved it to bits - until some knob wrote it off in his Sierra!

Incidentally second car was a 1971 1300cc Deluxe VW Beetle Pastel white and 19 years later I still have that car - needs a resto but this is the year!

• 3 weeks later...