What was your very first car?

xStric9x

I can remember setting off on a journey and being overjoyed THAT WE GOT THERE!!!!!

I learned sooooo much about cars from those days of simple mechanics and necessity!!

+1 :thumbs:

You've just reminded me Ming, the Flying Turd's head gasket was gone too (very shortly after I got it) and I always had to have the heater on hot - when it went cold I knew it was time to top up the water :lol:

Same for me in my Triumph Vitesse convertible the joy of getting to where you want to go without having to stop, wait for the steam to disperse then fill up with water from the container thet was ALWAYS in the boot.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread reminds me that for many years I never owned a car that cost more than about £1000 and I had some briliant cars ! V8 Rovers, 2.8 Capris and Granadas, Jags etc.

In fact the first "expensive" car I owned was when my Grandma died and left me £6,000 in her will. So I rushed out and blew the lot on an F plate Sapphie Cosworth :D

I worked for an Insurance Broker after leaving School and the wages were pathetic. I seem to remember earning about £70 a week and I would save and save and save and then spend every penny I had on my next car.

I started buying and selling cars to make some extra money. I remember the first car I ever bought to make money was an Austin Princess 1.7. I bought it for £170 and sold it for £350, so that profit was two weeks wages :D

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was a 998cc Metro with an MG Turbo front grill and a sticker on the side saying "Go Go Metro"

Classic car!! Bought for £500 and sold for £500 two years later when it could no longer make the 280 mile trip to Hull Uni & back once a year! :lol:

First car written off was my XR2i that I bought to replace the Metro. Myself and two mates in it parked up on the side of the road and we got rammed by a 32 tonne articulated truck!! You can guess the outcome!! :lol::lol:

Yeah, I lived there for just over three years! No offence to anyone that may live there but in my humble opinion it is the biggest dump of a city I have ever lived in but I probably had the best laughs up there I have ever had!!

As you say...."those were the days!"

W reg 1.2 Mk2 Punto in white! B)

and still got it seeing as i only passed my test a week ago! haha! :thumbs:

love it tho no mods (yet haha) already racing :headhurt: stupid saxo drives they make me do it! :dry:

but still cautious/safe driver as i know the out comes and if i get caught speeding or any thing in first two years i loose my license!!!! :boxing:

passed my test about 6 weeks after my seventeenth birthday and had my mothers old car .....a Honda N360 (yes it had a 360cc engine :headhurt: ) it lasted about 6 more weeks until I put it on it's roof :blush:

N360AT.jpg

Wasn't your first vehicle a horse and cart :p

no they hadnt invented the wheel then :p

Dont know if anyone is still checking thes post but my first car was a

1991 Toyota Celica GT4

Mettalic Grey

Loved it! and so started my love affair with Jap power!

That's a serious first car, mate! Respect! B)

What did you learn to drive in - a Cossie???? :wacko:

How on earth do you insure a GT4 for a first car?

I was 24 at the time.

Took me about a week before I started to mod it! Ended up blowing the head gasket. Got it replaced with a steel one and then a bigger turbo..etc..etc. LOL

Second car was a Toyota Supra mkIV 3litre non turbo. Best car I have ever owned, swapped it for my current car an MR2 turbo. Have this one modded to 340BHP.

350z arrives on Friday :yahoo: Still awaiting registration documents.

Hats off to you sir!

You never had the sheer thrill of hitting a ton in a 1.2 or the utter excitement of getting a sub 10sec - 60 car and all the admiring glances and jealous stares from the youngsters and your peers. You can only get these experiences by 'serving your time' in the little cars! :lol:

Hats off to you sir!

You never had the sheer thrill of hitting a ton in a 1.2 or the utter excitement of getting a sub 10sec - 60 car and all the admiring glances and jealous stares from the youngsters and your peers. You can only get these experiences by 'serving your time' in the little cars! :lol:

Agreed

Cars are like bikes.

You appreciate them more if you move up in little steps. Each one a different experience, and hopefully a little faster, than the last one. (Sounds a little like my women really??)

serve your apprenticship with bangers and learn your vehicle. If you start with a Ferrarri or a Turbo car where do you go from there??

Ming the Thinker

Mine was a 1995 1.4 pug 306 LX in Diable Red. I loved that thing and drove it into the ground. I ended up selling it for about £350 3 years ago, then i bought my mgzr R140. It was tuned up and a nice little runaround. Then i traded that in and got the zed. Now i drive a new type of car, its called a bus! :(

Mine was a 1995 1.4 pug 306 LX in Diable Red. I loved that thing and drove it into the ground. I ended up selling it for about £350 3 years ago, then i bought my mgzr R140. It was tuned up and a nice little runaround. Then i traded that in and got the zed. Now i drive a new type of car, its called a bus! :(

You don't even get to drive the bus! Yu don't even get to ride shotgun! You have to sit in the back! :p

You don't even get to drive the bus! Yu don't even get to ride shotgun! You have to sit in the back! :p

Dont make me feel worse than i already do :(