Stone chip protection kits...

zippypooz

What panels will the kit cover ie bumper, wings, edge of bonnet etc or is it just for the bumper, also is the kit available for the nismo front bumper?

I can do a nismo front but would need to find one to be able to template it properly!!

On 21/08/2014 at 15:37, Bodyboarder81 said:

Mine is going in for a bumper respray soon so would be interested in the kit .... But I am picky ... And worry I wouldn't be able to fit it to a high enough standard that it won't bug me . But would like to see some good picks of it fitted and go from there , cheers :)

Im making this especially for people like you who arnt confident in applying large graphics, it will be in reasonably manageable sizes. You apply this product with a soapy water so you can re-align it if you need to. My advice would be to get someone local to you to apply it if youre not confident. :)

Q: Can I apply Paint Protection Film dry?

A: No, it must applied with the recommended solutions.

Q: How should surfaces be prepared before application of the PPF?

A: All surfaces must be cleaned prior to film application. Be sure to use a cleaner that will not leave a residue, such as 3M Glass Cleaner. On repainted vehicles the paint must be thoroughly dry and completely cured before any attempt to apply film to the vehicle is made, in order to avoid film bubbling due to paint outgassing. Check paint manufacturer's instructions for recommended cure time and method.

Q: Is there a certain temperature at which PPF must be applied?

A: The film should be applied when air and application surface temperatures are between 55 degrees - 90 degrees F (13 - 32 degrees C). Surfaces may be heated in order to raise the surface temperature. This may be done with a portable heater, heat lamps or hot water.

Q: How do I remove bubbles underneath the film?

A: If the bubble is close to the edge, spray soap solution onto the film and squeegee with a fast, firm stroke. If the film is not fully tacked yet (early in the application), the film can be lifted just past the bubble and reapplied using standard application techniques. If the film has tacked, then use a diabetic syringe to fix the bubble.

Q: How do I fix a bubble using a diabetic syringe?

A: Prepare the diabetic syringe by bending the needle to a 45 degree angle to allow for insertion of the needle at the base of the bubble. If the bubble is filled with solution, insert the needle and extract the solution using the syringe. If the bubble is filled with air, fill the syringe with alcohol solution; insert the needle into the bubble; inject the alcohol solution into the bubble to expand the diameter of the bubble; then extract the alcohol and the air using the syringe.

Q: How can I fix or prevent the edges on the film from lifting?

A: To help the wrapped edges of the film stay securely in place after application, wrap a Detail Cloth (3M Part No. 06020) around the squeegee and use firm strokes. If the edge is wet, let the application dry an hour before tacking or use a heat gun to speed up the process.

Q: Can PPF be applied on a vehicle that has had the paint touched up?

A: 3M recommends that any repainted surfaces on your vehicle be professionally and fully cured before applying paint protection film. If you have touched up scratches or chips with a tube of "touch-up" paint and then apply paint protection over it, the film will protect that area until it is removed. If the paint protection film is removed, it is possible that the paint around the non-professional touch-up paint could peel off.

Q: Why doesn't the pre-cut kit fit correctly?

A: The kit may not fit correctly because it may have stretched during installation or have been improperly aligned on the vehicle. Due to the nature of the kit cutting process, there could also be some variation in the size of kits.

Q: What is silvering and how do I get rid of it?

A: Silvering is a whitish/silver color that appears under the film and is most noticeable on darker colored cars. If insufficient squeegee pressure is used during an application, small amounts of air and water mix and form micro bubbles underneath the film. The remedy is to add a little more soap to the water/soap solution to help the squeegee slide more easily while using a firmer application stroke. The extra soap also gives the installer more time before the adhesive tacks to the surface.

Q: What are lift lines and how do I get rid of them?

A: Lift lines look similar to silvering and are caused by lifting the film and putting it back down after the adhesive has already set up and tacked. To fix a lift line, lift the film a few inches past the lift line, spray with the alcohol solution and then re-squeegee. To prevent lift lines, add a little more soap to the water/soap solution. This gives the installer more time before the adhesive tacks to the surface.

Q: If the film will not stick during application, what should I do?

A: There are a number of reasons why film may not stick. Always use proper cleaning and preparation techniques that are standard in the industry. For example,do not use contaminated cleaning towels. Do not get overspray from other processes on the surface to be cleaned. Incorrectly mixed solution can cause low or no tack.

Q: There is a partial palm/finger print under the film; how can this be removed?

A: Fingerprints can be avoided during installation by keeping your fingers wet. After the installation is complete, the material must be replaced to correct the issue.

Q: Can I print on PPF?

A: PPF was not designed to be printed.

Q: Can PPF be installed on motorcycles?

A: Yes, PPF can be installed on motorcycles.

Q: Will PPF work on windshields?

A: It is not recommended for this use.

Q: Can PPF be installed on headlights?

A: In the United States, Department of Transportation safety standards do not allow for any film to be placed on headlamps. Other countries may or may not regulate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definately interested in this, the front of mine is looking @*!# state comapred to the rest of the car dont know whether to get it resprayed or wrapped to protect it, is this the answer to my issue?

No doubt it. You will need a repspray first and then have this fitted. This is a clear film, so if you don't have a replay first you will still see your chips

• Like 1

Definately interested in this, the front of mine is looking @*!# state comapred to the rest of the car dont know whether to get it resprayed or wrapped to protect it, is this the answer to my issue?

No doubt it. You will need a repspray first and then have this fitted. This is a clear film, so if you don't have a replay first you will still see your chips

yup youre right, you'll need a respray first then cover in the protection kit. If its car wrapping youre talking about, this wont really protect the car from stone chips either. Im respraying my bumper first then applying the kit.

• 10 months later...

When applying, use a squirty bottle filled to the top with water and add just a dash of preferably johnsons baby shampoo, then test on your hands, it should feel VERY SLIGHTLY soapy. Dont over do it or the film will not stick so test first, make sure your hands are wet when removing the film from the backing, spray them with the solution and spray the mirror too. Spray the film and position on to the mirror. Using a credit card of similar, squeegee the water out, working from one edge (i lines up the straightest edge first) while slightly stretching the material as you go to avoid creases, Try not to leave water behind as it will be difficult to remove when the kit dries. I'll try to put up a video post showing the application process as soon as i can. 

• Like 1

Will do. The 2006-9 kits are very slightly different as they tweeked the later models, I have 2005 so after its front end respray ill be fitting the 2005 kit an will also post some pics. I'll also be making custom kits should anyone want another part of the bodywork protected. Ive noticed a couple of chips on my doors so am currently making a panel that will protect this area too!! :)

http://s100.photobuc...stone guard kit

Ok, I went to Paycos (Martin) house today with the first kit. This is how it turned out and gives you an idea as to what your kit will look like.

After showing him how to apply a few of the panels, i left it to him to try for himself. This was the result.

This was the first tester kit ive cut so was very grateful to Martin for allowing me to use the kit on his pride and joy.

All in all im very happy with the look and finish!

Ive asked Martin to comment and give a fair account of what he thinks of the kit, one to help you guys decide whether you want one and two, whether in his opinion, anything needs to be amended or improved. I need you guys to be happy with what you buy, Im passionate about that.

Thanks for reading.

I await Martins opinion! :huh:

• Like 1

When/If there is a Nismo V2 protection film avalible i would be keen :D

Hi Tomb, ive been asked about this from a few guys in the states but would need to template one! If i can do this then whomever lets me template theirs, i can fit for free for them. (hint hint!!) ;)

Just adding this here, is a edited version of a message I sent to Zippypooz earlier ;) I was one of the members who got the wing mirror protectors as a trial.

Fitting

Fitting the thinner "strip" was really easy. A quick spray just with water allowed me to roughly place it down and then slide to its final position. I then squeegeed the water out and it was stuck like glue.

The top section was a bit of a pain in the ass, but this was down to the mirror shape and not the product. As the mirror in some places curves in 4 different directions I found it easiest to start in the larger side, get it placed down and stuck and then stretch the material to try to remove all of the folds that appear as you try to deform a 2D sticker onto a 3D shape. Each mirror probably took me about 5-6 mins and I have previous experience with wrapping things so it wasn't entirely new to me. Removing and re-applying the vinyl didn't really have any effect on how well it stuck so it was quite forgiving in that respect.

Product

The 'vinyl" as I will call it seems fine. Its very clear and didn't noticeably dull the shine on the vehicle. It seems plenty thick enough to deflect all of the usual peppering of stones that the wing mirrors get so I have no issues with how its made.

As far as I could tell, the cut-shape was perfect.

The Look

From a few ft away, you essentially cant see it. Up close, you can obviously see the gap between the joins but this is inevitable. Even then, because the product is very clear it doesn't look ugly or really stick out. Its a small trade-off for knowing these areas are protected. Certainly looks better than the alternative, something like a bonnet bra!!

On a larger area, bonnet, bumper etc obviously the join marks would be longer, but i feel it would be possible to mask some of the lines by using pre-existing folds and lines in the bodywork, this would lessen the look of the joins, but really im nit-picking here.

All in all, Great product though , especially if fitted by someone who knows how to work properly with vinyl. I think some people MAY struggle doing this without previous wrapping type knowledge, but cant fault the product. As usual, the end result will come down to the skill and patience of whoever installs it.

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post cs2000.

With respect to the fitting side, should anyone purchase the kit and is reasonably nearby I may be able to help you fit it if youre not confident enough.

That said, the film is pretty durable and can withstand a certain amount of punishment...if you do find that you are struggling, the best thing is to remove it and start again.

:)

• 1 month later...

I've just had my entire front end resprayed and also an ING'S lip added, would you be able to make one to suit this mate?

Hi buddy, yup i can make you one, most of the kit will fit with a tweek at the bottom where the lip starts but would need to template the actual lip itself.

Not sure where you are? Whether i come to you or you come to me? Or id need to find someone from here that has one that i can copy.

Gotta say i do like this lip, may think about getting one on mine!