SPARK PLUG CHANGE.....IS IT STRAIGHT FORWARD ?

JEMAN

Hi guys, have treated the Z to a new set of spark plugs. It all looks a bit cramped in there to get to the ones on the air pipe side. Is there anything else that needs to come of ? Or anything else you can pre warn me on before changing.

Cheers

It's pretty easy, just a pain in the ass. Remove the strut brace, induction pipe and engine cover and you should be able to get your hands in :thumbs:

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

As above. Not a lot scares me mechanically but there's so much electrical wire in the way that doesn't really flex or move much.

Took me 2.5 hrs and gave me sore legs and back for 2 days from bending over the engine :(

• Like 1

There are a couple of guides on the site, as well as something on youtube - the main thing to do - label each coil pack cable thing, as there are a couple which seem to go in the wrong sockets due to the length of them. Easily done - but a photo or two will save you.

• Like 1

It's easy, just got remove a few bits first. There are several guides on the internet you can follow. Also you need a thin walled socket to remove/install them.

I'm attempting mine again tonight because of the socket issue. I have a long and thin 14mm socket as part of my set, quarter inch drive and it was still too fat, as far as I can see you need a proper 14mm plug socket to make sure it fits or you could be mucking about with different sockets forever, some are thicker than others. The plug socket will have a rubber bung in it aswell so they can be withdrawn properly or you could of course use blue-tac or whatever in your socket that fits.

No idea how much these plug sockets cost, couldn't imagine it would be dear but I'm lending one off my mate who is a mechanic.

The rest of the job looked fairly easy even for a first timer, just take your time it's not a race and make sure you have no plans for an hour or so..

• Like 1