Help Diagnosing annoying noise

hensh65

Hi Guys,

Got a weird noise when I am turning right and wanted to see if anyone could hazard a guess at what it could be. I park in a multi-story car park so when I head up the levels I am at full lock turning right at low speeds. Zero noise. The noise only occurs when I am going round a round about turning right. It is like a metal grinding noise and seems to only be at the right amount of lock. If I turn left at any lock I don't get any noise.

Any idea :shrug: ?

Check the disc dust shield is not touching the disc

I thought it could be this but I can't see the dust shield, not much visability through my wheels. Is it quite tight behind the disc??

Yes depending on your wheels it might be worth popping one off for a look but they generally don't move unless someones been in there recently

Could also be a wheel bearing. When turning slowly to the right there's no load, but when on a roundabout there is, this will make a metallic whirling sound if the left wheel bearing needs replaced.

Could also be a wheel bearing. When turning slowly to the right there's no load, but when on a roundabout there is, this will make a metallic whirling sound if the left wheel bearing needs replaced.

The noise is 100% coming from the driver side front. its weird though as on a bigger round about i can increase and decrease the noise with the lock on the wheel which makes me think something is making contact with something. Although why it doesn't make contact at little to no speed :shrug:

I had exactly the same thing and it was the dust shield like Ewen said. The shield is about half the diameter of the brake disc and sits fairly close. Pop the wheel of and look behind the disc to see where it is catching and then just bend it away by hand.

• Like 1

come to my bit and i will fix it for you

You about tonight mate???

Will be mate, just heading to the gym. I'll bell you when i'm out. Will only take 2 mins to sort

Cheers mate, I finish at 6ish mate want me to swing past on the way home?

just tried the same on mine, wasn't the problem. I actually think I had 2 issues. When feeling for the shield I noticed a big lip on the disc, so I think I have a sticky piston and going by the amount of lip, there's probably no pad left :scare:

On the other hand, I'm beginning to think the plastic buffeting sound at higher speeds is one of the floppy plastic shields under the car. Can't be the main one because I have a Z Speed, but possible the second one. Gonna get her on ramps this week and have a good look.

Really hope the caliper isn't fudged!

• Like 1