Headlight tinting

gstraw

Has anyone done this on their 370? I don't fancy the fly eyes. I actually want to open up the headlights and spray them black but I'm too chicken even though I've done it on my celica. It's was just quite a mission to do.

So I'm considering tinting the headlights a very light smoke colour so that the front end if the car doesn't look as bright and chrome. Especially since the wheels are a darker colour now and not stock.

Does it need to be a special film? Also is it a DIY job or do I need to take it somewhere?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty sure the MOT was updated a couple of years ago in an attempt to stop/deter people from doing this.

The aesthetics aren't for me but if you go ahead then be prepared to face some problems with the MOT and/or the law.

gstraw, netnomad, Didn't realise you didn't asked for personal opinions on styling, legality or even your level of intelligence. It's certainly not in my nature to comment negatively on anyone's chosen 'mods'...so I'll say, it's your car so do what you want :)

Probably not best to post any pics :lol:

I had fly-eyes on my front and rear lights on my FN2 Civic Type R. It did look cool but was listed as an MOT advisory. Plus light output was greatly reduced so I wouldn't risk getting mine done permanently. If you want to do it just use fly-eyes or film so you can remove it if you have to. Just don't spend too much on it.

Reducing light output as I understood it is a fail, odd they only gave an advisory. I did have fly eyes on mine for a short time, made night driving hazardous and when I removed it took a day of polishing to get the marks off that it left. Fly eyes 'claims' that it doesn't reduce light output, they throw a load of scientific nonsense at you but I put it on and it does, they can make all the claims in the world but actual testing proved otherwise!

• Like 2

Hey

Thanks for replies (positive and negative lol)

As mentioned in actually after the headlights inside being being black but since I'm chicken I want to remove some of the chrome on the headlights. It would probably be a tint that doesn't look tinted if that makes sense. Just reduces the bling on the headlights.

Net nomad, get some pics up please and let us know what you think

• 1 month later...

Look forward to seeing it. Decided on how your painting it?

Been looking at the US forums and most use a Krylon Fusion paint. Never seen that over here, so will do a bit of digging to find the best paint to use. With it being a black car, i didnt want to go too dark, so i think a nice gunmetal/graphite would look good on the reflector, and gloss black shrouds (Or possibly leave the shrouds silver).

Going to do the dual Halos at the same time, so it will be different. Wish me luck :lol:

gm_matte1.jpg

amuse370-albums-pw-nismo-11-picture53593-dual-halos.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...