ATM ate my debit card

JetSet

My life got somewhat complicated today when an ATM decided to keep my card for no apparent reason :surrender: . I'm in Sandbach with no money and my DTE reading 23 and it's 35 or so miles to where I live. Not only that but the only reason I went up there was to pick up and pay for some discounted B&Q paint. :angry: I have heard that some banks (I'm with TSB) will flag some transactions because they are out of your usual area but for goodness sake why keep my card? Anyone else experienced this?

Got home and checked my account, plenty of money in there and I don't see any transactions that look dodgy. Have sorted it out with the bank after being put on hold for 30 minutes which didn't lighten my mood at all.

Pete

• Like 1

The ATM has probably just gone mental. Sometimes they will not return the card if it's damaged.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of managing a Halifax agency and the ATM was a constant pain in the ass.

I'm an ATM engineer...it could've been retained for different reasons...

Card issues (expired, damaged/slightly bent)

ATM has a fault (faulty card reader or anti skimming device) which will cause it to keep card/freeze ATM

or fraud device on ATM. Most ATMs fitted with anti skimming devices so its harder/impossible to skim your card...unless they physically obtain it.

Just bad luck! Cancel it and ask for a new one:(

You will be fine. I went another 20 miles or so when it went to - - -

If you're worried and can make chester Let me know and I can give you £20 quid or so to get home.

Can't help on the reason why your card was eaten though.

If you want a laugh I was in M&S last weekend, card rejected twice so ended up paying on credit card.

I used my card at an ATM the day before that I just had a feeling about so went home and called the bank.

They checked and said there wasn't an issue with my card but could I read back the expiry date....

Yep my card had expired, the new one was sitting at my old address. I hadn't updated my address as I couldn't do it online so dealt with the other address changes but never went back to that as intended :lol:

One problem with electronic statements these days.

Good luck!

Edited by Fodder
  • Like 1

I'm an ATM engineer...it could've been retained for different reasons...

Card issues (expired, damaged/slightly bent)

ATM has a fault (faulty card reader or anti skimming device) which will cause it to keep card/freeze ATM

or fraud device on ATM. Most ATMs fitted with anti skimming devices so its harder/impossible to skim your card...unless they physically obtain it.

Just bad luck! Cancel it and ask for a new one:(

O.K, Lloyds figured it was an ATM fault and the card has been cancelled, new card will be here in a couple of days time and I can get cash from my bank tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

You will be fine. I went another 20 miles or so when it went to - - -

If you're worried and can make chester Let me know and I can give you £20 quid or so to get home.

Can't help on the reason why your card was eaten though.

If you want a laugh I was in M&S last weekend, card rejected twice so ended up paying on credit card.

I used my card at an ATM the day before that I just had a feeling about so went home and called the bank.

They checked and said there wasn't an issue with my card but could I read back the expiry date....

Yep my card had expired, the new one was sitting at my old address. I hadn't updated my address as I couldn't do it online so dealt with the other address changes but never went back to that as intended :lol:

One problem with electronic statements these days.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, I finished up borrowing £20 from my step daughter who I bought the paint from, then transferred it back once I got home. BTW, paint was 100% legit, my step daughter's step daughter (complicated huh :lol: ) works at B&Q so we got the 20% staff discount and it was very expensive paint :).

Pete

• Like 2

New card arrived today :thumbs:. Slipped it into my wallet and spotted the tip of my old card in there. What a wally , I'd obviously put my out of date card into the machine :blush: and the card I should have used was in the wrong slot in my wallet. Moral of the story, destroy your old card the minute you get your new one :surrender: .

Pete

• Like 2

New card arrived today :thumbs:. Slipped it into my wallet and spotted the tip of my old card in there. What a wally , I'd obviously put my out of date card into the machine :blush: and the card I should have used was in the wrong slot in my wallet. Moral of the story, destroy your old card the minute you get your new one :surrender:.

Pete

:lol: Whoops! At least you've got a nice new card. :teeth:

New card arrived today :thumbs:. Slipped it into my wallet and spotted the tip of my old card in there. What a wally , I'd obviously put my out of date card into the machine :blush: and the card I should have used was in the wrong slot in my wallet. Moral of the story, destroy your old card the minute you get your new one :surrender: .

Pete

Now my similar mistake doesn't look so bad :teeth:

Glad you're all sorted

• Like 1