Nismo + Cobra HFC's

judiciousjoe

I had Cobra HFC's fitted to my Nismo cat-back by Abbey Motorsport at the beginning of May. I must say what a difference! Apparently the Berks are having issues with emissions on MOT's and the Cobra's are British built. The sound is incredible, hardly any noticeable difference upon idling and just cruising but put your foot down and it snarls, growls, pops and bangs beautifully. I will get a video up for you soon. It is definitely a worthwhile mod and you are in very safe hands at Abbey.

• Like 1

I will get a video uploaded for you guys this weekend. I was waiting for somebody to be able to record it with a camera from behind. It will give you a general idea of the sound, but obviously hearing it in real life is best. So if any of you live near I am happy to give you a demo/test drive.

Apparently the Berks are having issues with emissions on MOT's and the Cobra's are British built. The sound is incredible, hardly any noticeable difference upon idling and just cruising but put your foot down and it snarls, growls, pops and bangs beautifully. I will get a video up for you soon. It is definitely a worthwhile mod and you are in very safe hands at Abbey.

Is this a view on the Berks shared by Abbey? Only i thought they supplied and fitted Berks.

Apparently the Berks are having issues with emissions on MOT's and the Cobra's are British built. The sound is incredible, hardly any noticeable difference upon idling and just cruising but put your foot down and it snarls, growls, pops and bangs beautifully. I will get a video up for you soon. It is definitely a worthwhile mod and you are in very safe hands at Abbey.

Is this a view on the Berks shared by Abbey? Only i thought they supplied and fitted Berks.

When I booked my Z in with Abbey I requested to have Berks fitted. However, Scott advised me that they recently had issues with customers Berks burning out and essentially becoming test pipes. So they now use a company called Cobra. They were custom made on Abbey's behalf and sound very beautiful from 2k revs onwards! They would still fit Berks to a car if desired, but don't advise it and now prefer the quality of Cobra HFC's.

If something like this has happened, then why is this the first the forum is hearing about it? I'd like to hear from these customers or Abbey :wacko:

Aren't the Cobra's near £600 or something?

I'm sure Scott or Mark at Abbey would be more than happy to answer any questions in detail. Their knowledge of cars is 1,000,000 times more extensive than mine! I didn't want to start a forum war about HFC's!

Don't worry about it mate. It's just that Berks are very popular on here and regarded as one of if not the best HFC's and it's a bit of a shock to hear about the issues…

We have had issues with getting Berks passed the MOT even if they are warmed up aggressivly.

We went over to a Cobra HFC ( they aren't custom made for us) which uses a better quality Catalytic brick (euro 5 spec) works far better than the Berks we have used before.

We can supply the Cobra HFCS for both types of cars DE/REV UP and the HR/VHR for £540-00 inc vat.

Edited by Mark@Abbey m/s

Some of you will remember the car developed a peculiar droning noise develop on the way back up through France last year, I was running Berks HFC's and Miltek on a NA set up (I mention this as it is relevant and will explain later). Anyway the droning noise turned out to be a failed HFC (which, in fairness Berks replaced FOC under warranty) The droning was caused by the substrate in one of the HFC's becoming detached from its internal fixings and vibrating around in the casing. Here's a short clip of the offending item ( the HFC, not me!! ) :) You'll need the volume on to hear it rattling around. It's fair to point out that the other HFC was absolutely fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqJL-aOpQw

I have since replaced the Miltek with an ARK system and reverted back to standard cats for no other reason than noise levels (yes I'm an old fart Neilly P :lol::p)

Now, the reason I mentioned NA is that I am aware of someone else who was running FI with Berks HFC's and they both pretty much had the stuffing literally blown out of them. Both these events occurred last year and hopefully were isolated incidents.

• Like 1

lol! I think i'm getting too old these days too mate lol! Too used to driving about in the derv beemer the past few months! Got the car out for its first drive, in a few months, last week and i'm scared of it :lol:

• Like 1

Ordered from Clark Motorsport and they always throw in cobra leaflets. I wasn't aware they were British.

Makes me want to move to them and with Berks possibly failing I might aswell either decat or cobra hfc.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...