Engine Bay Detailing Advice Please.

Mikeyazure

Hmm, I wonder what response you'd get if you went into Halfrauds and asked one of their fresh faced sales assistants, sorry 'technicians'....

"Is this carb cleaner ok to use on my Nissan 350z. I think my carbs need cleaning, would this be suitable"?

• Like 3

Can you guys post a link from Halfrauds with the exact product used?

Thanks!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202903_langId_-1_categoryId_255221#tab1

Thats the stuff i used. I dare say any cheap carb cleaner would do the job though.

Tried to check with Wynn's site to see if it is technically safe for paint but couldn't see anything on there, but then i've done the entire bay with a rag and no problems. Could always test it with a hard brush on a hidden part just to see if there is any issues with paint work in the bay i suppose if you wanted to.

I got it off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STP-CARB-SPRAY-CLEANER-500ml-/180699918844?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

But if you prefer amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carb-Spray-Cleaner-500ml-carburettor/dp/B004PZP62S

Couldn't see STP at 'frauds but I doubt there's much in it when it's not being used as directed :teeth:

Don't do this to yourselves unless you really must, it's like painting the Forth Bridge :lol:

....However, when you get some of this unknown matter off, and it starts to look shiny, it all becomes worth while. This is going to be a project in itself an hour or two each weekend to work my way around :scare:

It's the best when the old gunk disappears and the engine bay starts to look shiny :-) Good job Stu, will be done in no time. Don't remember it taking that long but then maybe the fumes helped lol

Hmm, I wonder what response you'd get if you went into Halfrauds and asked one of their fresh faced sales assistants, sorry 'technicians'....

"Is this carb cleaner ok to use on my Nissan 350z. I think my carbs need cleaning, would this be suitable"?

I've asked them on their site, the response should be a laugh :-)

• Like 2

I was so very tempted to try this when I popped in for paint earlier, but alas it was not to be... they didn't have any (carb cleaner that is, they had plenty of fresh faced sales hindrances).

spent several hours with the carb cleaner, no tooth brushes left now :lol: ordered some autobrite jaffa stuff for the next attempt, wasn't brave enough to remove the strut brace :scare: is it easy or does it need re torqueing :blush:

the carb cleaner works ok , just time consuming and the awkward gaps/spaces :rant:

For the tight gaps remove pieces if you can otherwise need something plastic and thin I found to help get the rag in there. Didn't think it was that hard to get all the stuff off with the carb cleaner thinking about it I guess it took a few hours.

As for the strut brace the feet need torqueing correctly. Technically the locking nuts do as well but I've not had problems with mine

Edited by wizurd
  • Like 1

Carbcleaner is available from most motorcycle and car spares, spray it on to a cloth when you first use it Not direct because it can be aggressive, little and often on the cloth guys :thumbs:

Couldn't have put it better :)

Edited by wizurd