Kumho or Avon

onthatB0MBSHELL

I've a pair of Kuhmo on the front of my Z, they were on her when I got her, I've added about 20K to them, loads of thread left but this is the sidewall, guess it's an age thing. Think they are 2008.

th_6f44cbbc19a1f89393a9e7722380de62_zpsb59266f0.jpg

Tyres are supposed to be ok for 10 years from manufacture. There's a way to tell when they were made so you can check. Do you use lots of tyre dressing? The silicone in a lot of tyre shine products dries the rubber out and makes it crack over time.

Yeah they are def 2008, no I don't use any tyre shine on them at all, but maybe last owner did, I know car sat idle for about a year before I bought her? Only one tyre has this problem, both tyres same age 2008.

Were they made, or bought in 2008? It could be that the car sat idle on a flat for a few months and that damaged the sidewall, tough to tell though :)

hmm one person found a cracked side wall that will be legacy on here then 2 years down the line every tyre thread will be

buy mpss but dont get khumos they all crack

bandwagon553-2099511.jpg

Ekona Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:25

Right, I'm convinced, I'll have to hop on the bandwagon and get me some of these too.

Yes I went through 5 tyre pages that were archived to find that :lol:

Edited by grundy225
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever definitively said that you should buy MPSS or you're going to die/crash/kill innocent children? I think the only time I've ever mentioned it was when Stevo was having a spaz out on the original thread but that was because Stevo was having a spaz out.

Edited by mouthwash

Has anyone ever definitively said that you should buy MPSS or you're going to die/crash/kill innocent children? I think the only time I've ever mentioned it was when Stevo was having a spaz out on the original thread but that was because Stevo was having a spaz out.

close enough, dosnt matter when and were you said it

Seeing as you're picking odd situations to make your point allow me to do the same:

Going down a country lane at night, no one behind you.. deer runs out in front of you. The combination of better brakes and MPSS allows you to stop in time, on the flip side a set of ditchfinders and OEM brakes cause you to hit the deer.

But to that degree having decent tyres actually saves you.

If you have a cheaper tyre on, driving enthusiastically might cause you to easily lose control of the vehicle whereas a more expensive performance tyre will help to keep you in check.

I think probably not for those moments Stevo but when he has the opportunity to have a blast down a country lane I'm pretty sure he'll be glad he had something that doesn't make his car's handling resemble a shopping trolley.

Edited by StevoD

close enough

Seeing as you're picking odd situations to make your point allow me to do the same:

Going down a country lane at night, no one behind you.. deer runs out in front of you. The combination of better brakes and MPSS allows you to stop in time, on the flip side a set of ditchfinders and OEM brakes cause you to hit the deer.

If you have a cheaper tyre on, driving enthusiastically might cause you to easily lose control of the vehicle whereas a more expensive performance tyre will help to keep you in check.

I think probably not for those moments Stevo but when he has the opportunity to have a blast down a country lane I'm pretty sure he'll be glad he had something that doesn't make his car's handling resemble a shopping trolley.

That was just to wind you up as you were having a bitch fit about MPSS lol, you do realise (not sure how many times I've told you) I've never had a set of MPSS on my car? :p So how can I even comment on how brilliant they are (in a serious manner).

I do however believe if you're going to drive your car in a spirited manner then having the best performance tyre you can afford is not a bad idea, wouldn't you agree?

;)Well-Here-we.jpg

lol, and here it is, from the very thread you selected some quotes from.

I concur, the Bridgestone S001 is a pretty good tyre as well. That's currently what I'm running, although as they're wearing they're losing grip at a significant rate.

I've never had MPSS :lol: just wanted to poke the bear on the nose.

I think the individual needs to make a decision themselves as to what they want to run, and should never feel pressurised into putting something on their car just because everyone else is.

I can (and do!) give my opinion and more importantly, my reasons, for the decisions I make. If a person reads that and disagrees then as long as they do that with knowledge then that's fine. Like I said, I ran cheapy cheapies on the MX5 for a specific reason, and I was fully aware of my choice. I also learnt my lesson, and it's why the MR2 now runs 888s.

;)Well-Here-we.jpg

I concur, the Bridgestone S001 is a pretty good tyre as well. That's currently what I'm running, although as they're wearing they're losing grip at a significant rate.

So your calling me a bear?

bear.png

• Like 1

;)Well-Here-we.jpg

So your calling me a bear?

bear.png

Yeah, this bear.

memes_bear_grylls_knife-s313x293-155524-580.jpg

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best price to performance ratio tyre for the Zed currently is the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2.

What else have you tried on the Zed to be able to make a statement like that?

Ive just had a count up and Ive used 9 but I wouldnt like to make an ultimate statement of whats best ..............

Educated reasoning taking into account tyres used on the Zed, other cars and reviews and of course price.

Educated reasoning taking into account tyres used on the Zed, other cars and reviews and of course price.

So what have you used on the Zed then? Last count Ive had NS2, T1S, Pirelli Zero Rosso, RE040, T1R, FK453, FK452, Vredestein, RE050 and MPSS on mine and thats not a random order BTW ;)