Me, MyZed & I

Okay, I've been around for long enough now, so its about time I posted a few pics of my car.

As you'll read below its pretty much a forum built car, still holding out for my free sticker though. Thanks go to 14N, CS2000, Flyboy, Peteman23, Steve 230z, Japex, Clark Motor sport, Tarmac and probably a few others :)

Picked up my Car from Tradelink end of Sept '13

IMG_1553_zps1f7dc46b.jpg

Carbon wrapped my b-pillars, all by myself, and put 3 light layers of clear coat on it to give a light shine.

IMG_1755_zps73b2eb6b.jpg

Although I was enjoying listening to my old tape collection, next came the Bose hack, including hacking an old phone mount into a custom cubby hole holder and inventing the simplest way to mount a tablet. I'm currently waiting for copyright to come through.

IMG_1596_zpse13d441a.jpg

IMG_1591_zps47076f56.jpg

Although its phone mount I actually use it for an ipod classic, its got 160gb of music on it so no chance of getting bored! I just have to operate it sideways!

RIMG1226_zps7386a29c.jpg

Now for my copyrighted quick release easy tablet mounting method. I'll be selling these custom mounts on the forum soon... Twelfty pounds.

I only use a tablet for a sat nav and only use it every few months or so, so wanted something removable.

IMG_1598_zps972a5175.jpg

IMG_1599_zpsa51c7be0.jpg

Next came a seatbelt cushion - again installed all by myself.

RIMG1230_zps303cf9e7.jpg

Original 14N Tonneau cover, Steve350z stubby and a cargo net and floor mats from Clark Motorsports - Standard behaviour.

RIMG1229_zps824eb64b.jpg

As 14N has stupidly updated his design I might need to get a better one now, but I'm sure I can sell an original batch 14N for more then I brought it for B), right! I could even fake his signature on it and everything.

I then had a bit of a mare trying to install CS2000s LED reflectors, basically brought some second hand, broke them had to rebuild them myself then install them. Probably a 4 month process but you can read about it in CS2000s thread if you want!

I faired slightly better with CS2000s LED interior and side bulb replacement kit.

Got my roof wrapped and rear and 1/4 windows tinted by Ultimate Wraps in Dudley following a recommendation from 14N. Pictures in the second link below. Thats not my number plate, long story got me pulled over at one point, but all fine now.

https://www.facebook...Ultimatewrapsuk

https://www.facebook...542545599175286

1524903_542544355842077_1311325133_n.jpg

Had the wrap done in the middle of winter when it was freezing and think the cold weather followed by a 4 hour drive the next day did weird things to the tint (as shown below). it had 24 hours to cure and I kept the heat down on the drive. Thankfully over the next week it mostly went back to normal, just a couple of hardly noticeable white spots left now and Jack at UW offerd to fix it for free anyway.

IMG_1687_zpsdd291d59.jpg

Managed to build up a detailing kit at some point...

RIMG1241_zps92cd1af0.jpg

Also installed SGS uprated struts from the forum group buy & Boot Popper reconditioning from PeteMan35 - Boot still won't upon up by itself but gets past the catch first time and only needs a light touch to help it on its way!

I've also added a Cosworth air filter and Flyboys mirror fold module, which took about 6 months to get right, my fault though! I've also installed a new greener air filter...

IMG_1747_zpse7ce5507.jpg

My clutch started to go after Christmas so had Ross at Japex install a new clutch, flywheel and a slave cylinder and uprated hose from Clark Motorsport

The inside of my car was bit dinged up so I resprayed the door switch panels and also tried to buffer out the silver door pull, I got rid of the scratches from the door pull but obviously also got rid of the brushed aluminium look. Didn't like the polished aluminium look so painted in gloss black and like it better than the OEM look. I have a spare door pull for sale, if you want to try this without using your own one.

RIMG1219_zpsf99d913a.jpg

I tried a layer of clear coat on the screw cover to see what it would look like on the rest of the finish. Too shiny, so no clear coat for the rest of it.

RIMG1220_zps5199fb9f.jpg

RIMG1221_zps3c6714aa.jpg

This is what I keep in my car, speed wipe and baby wipes for the bird poop and stripper scent for the ladies B). Do'n knock it until you've smelt it, just don't tell women what its called, they are never impressed.

IMG_1751_zpsa673c5a7.jpg

I've also learnt a man can never have to many micro fibres (for the big bird poop)

IMG_1752_zpsf93d12a1.jpg

I've also recently painted my wing mirrors and door handles gloss back and added side steps/diffusers from the Tarmac group buy. I have my old door handles and wing mirrors for sale if anyone wants to try this. It means you can play around without removing the parts from your car, thus giving you more time to spend on the prep and finish.

IMG_1754_zpsc36ef7a8.jpg

IMG_1756_zpsc115d304.jpg

IMG_1753_zpsfeba869b.jpg

I've also carbon wrapped my kick plates but couldn't get the bubble out the corners, so will be removing at some point and replacing with aluminium kick plates. Might take a photo of my attempt for the forum lols.

Plans for the future:

Nismo V1 wing with the top part gloss black or maybe just keep the OEM lip and paint it black

Aluminium kick plates from Steve 350z - If i can get in time next time he has stock!

2006 Airbox conversion from flyboy

Probably get a new gear knob as mines a bit tatty, I like the OEM shape but will probably try a Nismo at some point.

Paint restore, there are a few deep/ wide scratches that won't come out with scratch x2.0. I can probably touch up and polish a few of them but think the bonnet bumper and passenger wing will need a respray.

If I don't get round to buying a house this year I might get the leather redone, I think custom seats would really set the car apart.

Possibly replace the windscreen, but I'm going to try polishing out the chips first.

Then I'm done, obviously... :lol:

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 2

That's a very nice Zed you have there and some great mods already :) That's a really good idea with your tablet holder, is that a velcro strip? might try something along those lines myself!

That's a very nice Zed you have there and some great mods already :) That's a really good idea with your tablet holder, is that a velcro strip? might try something along those lines myself!

No its a thick elastic loop, the tablets held on by the front of the tablet case being flipped over to the back and tucked in behind the elastic. I only use the tablet for a sat nav on long journeys so wanted something I could remove easily. I just keep the elastic loop in the armrest. The elastic loop is held together by iron on wonder web, so the back side looks a bit ghetto, but you can't see it. The other option would be to sew it together but i'm a man.

• Like 1

No its a thick elastic loop, the tablets held on by the front of the tablet case being flipped over to the back and tucked in behind the elastic. I only use the tablet for a sat nav on long journeys so wanted something I could remove easily. I just keep the elastic loop in the armrest. The elastic loop is held together by iron on wonder web, so the back side looks a bit ghetto, but you can't see it. The other option would be to sew it together but i'm a man.

That's a really good idea, I don't use mine all that much either so something like this would be perfect :)

Tried to touch up some of the smaller dings on the centrer console with a range of illustrator pens.

Had high hopes but overall I'd give it 4 out of 10. Its passable from a distance but its still pretty visible close up.

The weapon of choice, has an end like a paint brush so you can dab tiny dots or press harder and cover a larger area, its also layerable. I brought a rand of greys but only the darkest one was dark enough.

RIMG1238_zps3a23f66d.jpg

Before:

RIMG1224_zps2f2eab74.jpg

After:

RIMG1232_zps92412301.jpg

from a distance:

RIMG1235_zpscf21b4d3.jpg

Before:

RIMG1233_zpsbaea6171.jpg

After:

RIMG1239_zps5185abdc.jpg

RIMG1240_zps4fb51f5a.jpg

Nice work so far. I like the black metal bit on passenger door, might have to copy this.

What's that cool thing you store all your detailing goodies in? I want one!

For a few seconds there I thought you meant the glove box :lol:.

Its a Stanley Fatmax mobile workstation.

If you want to see one in all its glory I'd suggest looking at this thread... http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=207474

I've got a spare door pull for sale if you want to try a few things out and not mess with your own one.

Edited by Randy_Baton

Nice work so far. I like the black metal bit on passenger door, might have to copy this.

If you want to see one in all its glory I'd suggest looking at this thread... http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=207474

I've got a spare door pull for sale if you want to try a few things out and not mess with your own one.

There's a glove box? :lol:

That thread you linked to is awesome, love the workstation and the bespoke bottles!!!! This forum continues to find new and innovative ways to drain my bank account :lol:

Edited by SuperStu

Sorry for off topic but just wanted to say a massive thanks to you Randy_Baton :thumbs: As soon as I saw it, I knew it had to happen. This is the greatest leap forward in my detailing since I found out what a clay bar is. :yahoo:

From this shambles:

IMG_1094_zpsa72d88df.jpg

To this majesty:

IMG_1110_zps7ffa0204.jpg

Look at the new level of order! Folded MFs in a dust free space, with low quality everyday grime busters stacked horizontally and quality ones stacked vertically. Applicator pads stored by size and foam density. My wheel brush even fits in!!!!!

• Like 1

How much are you looking for the spare door pull, and what kind of condition is it in now?

Cheers,

Kev

I should have come down to Incarnation, spent the day putting on the wing mirrors and door handles though. Managed to get one window stuck open then ran the battery flat trying to fix it. Turned a 2 hour job into a 5 hour job!

Would you recommend any local body work/paint shops/garages? Going to get my front end resprayed and a spoiler fitted at some point soon and need a P3 this year (was probably going to use Abbey for that).

• 1 month later...

Some new additions.

I tried carbon wrapping my kick plates whit some spare vinyl. I couldn't get the curved corner to stick properly though.

IMG_1834_zpsc994e9f7.jpg

IMG_1835_zps95bfaef3.jpg

So i got some aluminium ones, but to be honest I'm not that impressed with them.

IMG_1857_zps431ed6c0.jpg

I'm planning on getting some bits carbon dipped by a local guy, so was going to use my old kick plates as a a tester and then sell them on. If they look okay I might keep them and sell the aluminium ones.

Next I used some Gtechniq trim restorer on my wing mirror posts. I brought them second hand to paint up and they were in much worse condition than the ones I has on my car.

From this:

IMG_1869_zps74d05ed7.jpg

To this:

IMG_1872_zps3987a1fa.jpg

I've also purchased Rickdon's prototype carbon dipped Slam panel/Cooling plate.

from this:

IMG_1838_zpscf80f98b.jpg

to this:

IMG_1839_zps46d53e62.jpg

IMG_1841_zps8ed6d359.jpg

IMG_1849_zpsd6f72e86.jpg

IMG_1852_zpscd767036.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thought I do an update...

I've always been annoyed by the cruising drone of my Cobra exhaust so thought I'd do something about it. I went camping with a friend and filled the boot up with sleeping bags etc. The car was noticeably quieter so thought I'd have a go and soundproofing the boot.

First step was visiting my local carpet shop and getting an off cut of their thickest foam underlay and putting it under my boot mat.

IMG_2138_zpsbmgj98lm.jpgIMG_2356_zpsizylcur9.jpg

I sprayed the edges black to hide any bits that popped out under my boot map.

I used an iphone app to record the noise volume and did a few laps of the A27 to compare the difference.... No notable difference on the average or maximum dB's :lol: Probably more down to using an iphone app than anything else.

Next I went all in and brought some Dynamat Extreme and some Tredaire Red underlay.

IMG_2350_zpsahvv2n2a.jpgIMG_2350_zpsahvv2n2a.jpgIMG_2352_zps2pz9gxiq.jpgIMG_2355_zpsrjizmwxa.jpg

I now have Dyanamat soundproofing, Tredaire rubber underlay, generic foam underlay, a boot mat and the comfiest boot compartment of any Zed. On a plus note the extra thickness means my tonneau cover is never coming loose.

I also purchased some LED rears from a group buy and gave them a couple of coats of smoked tint.

IMG_2152_zpsyc3ueg5q.jpg

Finally got round to fixing a car park dent and decided to get a charge speed rear, so off to RT I went.

b1addf94dcf72c797301463765e1036a.jpg

d9658179aa08812b428d63a16ba8d057.jpg

7e3d1ca2a42ed162bf9234b63256108a.jpg

5fa6c3503ea350847f834724acb4bf00.jpg

Edited by Randy_Baton

Think I'm pretty much done with the car now. Only other things I might add:

Steering wheel from Royal steering wheels.

New wheels and MPSS (of course)

Carbon dipped centre console.

Should be buying a house next year, not intedning to sell the Zed but other things may have to go on hold.

Current state of her:

IMG_2606_zps7h6eemog.jpg

IMG_2610_zpsgj5cv0nz.jpg

IMG_2611_zpscgfw2isv.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

New steering wheel from Jack @ royal steering wheels.

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

Wheel 350Z - 4mm Extra padded, Perforated leather on sides, Black alcantara top/bottom, Orange stitchingWheel 350Z - Extra padded, Perforated leather on sides, Black alcantara top/bottom, Orange stitching

£130 +£15 for fitting

IMG_2893_zpsyrhfhao6.jpgIMG_2894_zpsioymzgnz.jpg

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...