Got a Zed wooo....but...

-Bradders-

Ok so you all know i've been looking for a zed. Darren offered me his at a great price so i bought it out of chance. Unfortunatley feel a bit @*!# after paying what i paid the clutch went on the way home slipping in 4th 5th and 6th... Anyone know any good garages that wont charge a bomb and wont mind me supplying my own parts east london area essex or kent? I remember recently a guy on here poated up someone in maidstone who done a good job on his? Any reccomendations or any rough estimates? Feeling a bit bummed after this so any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Did it not slip on the test drive? Weird not to and then start slipping an hour later.

Anyway, talk to Darren, maybe he'll give you a few bob back, as a good person would. You shouldn't sell a car with a dead clutch, it's just not cricket.

Well i dont think it did but he said due to previous experiences he drove it not me so i took his word i did see the revs look a bit jumpy but just assumed that might be normal? And the fact it was cold might have helped. It seemed to only happen after it got hot on the way home. I mean i was averaging 40mpg sitting at 55-60 all the way home lol so ita not like i went drifting it was only when i went to over take a lorry that i npticed it and it just got worse after that so i just stuck cruise on and sat at 60 for the last 80 miles of my trip back. I did get a little suspicious when the ' can you smell the burning smell thats where a carrier bag got stuck on the exhaust' but couldnt smell anything at the time so assumed it was ok haha. Call me gullable i suppose. But i was too zed happy to care at the time. I dont know where i stand as for asking for money back? As technically i did say yeah i like it and paid for it?

Well i dont think it did but he said due to previous experiences he drove it not me so i took his word i did see the revs look a bit jumpy but just assumed that might be normal? And the fact it was cold might have helped. It seemed to only happen after it got hot on the way home. I mean i was averaging 40mpg sitting at 55-60 all the way home lol so ita not like i went drifting it was only when i went to over take a lorry that i npticed it and it just got worse after that so i just stuck cruise on and sat at 60 for the last 80 miles of my trip back. I did get a little suspicious when the ' can you smell the burning smell thats where a carrier bag got stuck on the exhaust' but couldnt smell anything at the time so assumed it was ok haha. Call me gullable i suppose. But i was too zed happy to care at the time. I dont know where i stand as for asking for money back? As technically i did say yeah i like it and paid for it?

Unfortunately it's a case of buyer beware as I said in the previous thread and, not trying to sound harsh, if you aren't competent enough mechanically (I'm not, I usually take someone who is) to look over a car you either need a friend who is or pay the AA/RAC/Whoever man to take a look.

A car that has done 118k and on this very forum (I think) it has been mentioned that the car has no history of a clutch change, I sure would have at the very least driven the car myself to check.

But, I know what it's like to want something that it clouds your judgement it's just this time the lesson has cost you a little bit. Next time you should have this experience in your head when buying.

For all we know Darren may offer a gesture but he is in no way obliged to do so and I hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

Edit: to answer your OP Kaizer motors in Kent is highly recommended on this forum, I've spoken to him myself about getting some parts fitted and seems very genuine and in no way pushy.

Edited by mouthwash

Im very mechanically minded lol i knew there might be something up but im also quite a trust worthy person and when someone says its good and has no issues you tend to trust them. In no way will it turn into a witch hunt. Im not that kind of person, just a bit cheesed off thats all.

Sorry to read this Bradders but could be a good opportunity for a nice new lightened flywheel/upgrade clutch. ;)

Especially a good idea if you are hoping to mod your Zed and at least then you'll know the clutch is good to go for years & years then. B)

Good luck.

• Like 1

Yeah ill see as i spent most of the money id saved buying it lol cheapest fix will be best for now!

Just checking out the for sale section and spotted these;

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/84520-xtd-clutch-stage-3-600-miles/

(Does say sold pending payment but no update) http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/84298-luk-dual-mass-flywheel-only-circa-10k-miles/

If I was you I'd have a good look through there to see what you can find if you are looking for a cheaper fix. Also might be worth a PM to zmanalex to see if he has any pre-owned good condition clutches/flywheels that you could buy. Might save you a whole heap of cash that way. ;)

Fyi ~ best to replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch imo. :thumbs:

Hi Brad,

When I bought the car myself three months ago I budgeted for a clutch change as at 118K and no history of one I thought it may need it.

I did about 1000 miles in the car before yesterday and on my family's life never have I felt it slip or had any issues with it whatsoever.

The plastic bag smell I mentioned which you couldn't smell wasn't me trying to hide anything. I was being honest. A while back I created a thread where I could smell something burning. The smell came when the car was cold and at idle, and eventual investigation proved it to be a carrier bag that had gotten caught on the new Y Pipe.

Also the rev bounce is an issue with the speedo and nothing to do with the clutch. Alot of Zeds have this issue it turns out but I just figured that was how they were.

I am really sorry about the clutch mate but I honestly don't know what I am expected to do. I wasn't even going to sell the car until September and then I was going to ask for £5800 but a few people on the forum said "If you have to sell it then sell it now."

I didn't try to hide anything on the test drive at all, and you yourself just said the car was fine until 100 miles or so into the drive back. I would NEVER have sold the car if I thought the clutch was going to go, if I thought it was on its way out I would have got it done prior to selling.

It's 'not cricket' to knowingly sell a car with the clutch on its way out but I honestly swear it has been fine with me the whole time. Including the 100 mile round trip to Longleat and back recently.

I feel really bad and really wanted you to enjoy the car as much as I have mate. And for this to happen on the way home sucks.

6 hours after I bought it I marooned it on a driveway which wrecked the Y pipe flexis. £150 later it was back on the road.

Have you looked into the warranty that came with the car when I bought it mate? It was a 6 month one I recall. Not sure if a clutch would be covered as it is a wear and tear item possibly?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

At the end of the day the clutch could go anytime so just use it as an excuse to get an upgraded one, add suggested try Sly at Kaizer motors, you could always get the clutch/flywheel from a trader on here and get it delivered to Sly or see if he can match the price?

At least Darren has been big enough to come on here and reply, I think at the end of the day it is buyer beware and a wear & tear item so almost certainly not covered by a warranty but you never know might be worth checking out, even if they pay part of it...

Don't let it put you off, just chalk it up to experience, get it sorted and then relax in the knowledge that you have a clutch that will last you the length of your ownership almost certainly :)

Yeah i hold no grudges just gutted thats all. Will sort something i was all exited to use it on the one day off we have tomorrow lol now im stuffing it in the garage :(

I am sorry mate. If I thought the clutch was gonna go I would have sorted it before hand though :(

Other than that is the car okay???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cars great mate im just gonna have to bite the bullet and do the clutch. Ive looked it up and im gonna do it myself i mean ive turbod an na car from scratch i should be capable. Ive got a full snap on set to work with thanks to a friend! So ill give it a crack.

Just look at it this way......whether Darren stitched you or not it hardly matters one bollock hair because it could have happened in 400 miles time or as it did on the way home......it's still an 800 quid job however you cut it and on an 118k car it was already pushing it's look.

The 350 standard clutch is gash anyway so look at it as a good opportunity to make it a better car to drive.

Cars great mate im just gonna have to bite the bullet and do the clutch. Ive looked it up and im gonna do it myself i mean ive turbod an na car from scratch i should be capable. Ive got a full snap on set to work with thanks to a friend! So ill give it a crack.

Any competent mechanics on her to give Bradders a hand, he's a good guy and

doesn't deserve what happened to him and his Zed, I'm also sure Darren did not intend to sell

him a car with that problem but sh*t happens. So as a Community on this Forum

lets start a London based Zed Shed and give Bradders a hand. PM him to arrange it. :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 4

Bradder's I feel really sorry for you mate, you asked for our help and you have ended up with a members car with a fooked clutch. I'm not blaming Darren as it could have gone at any time, but I'm worried you might regret ever coming on this forum. :sorry:

• Like 1

Ha its fine. Wouldn't mind a hand from any members who have done the clutch before though haha!

Anyone have any recommendations of brands? what lightweight wheel etc? i see exedy clutches look reasonable, plus i get 40% off at euro car parts lol. but the only flywheel they sell its a LUKS but i've been told to avoid a dual mass and get a lightweight one instead?