Apple Macbook, MacPro, iMac & IOS Tips, Tricks & Software Thread

Neilp

Another one for 7+ You won't notice the extra size after the initial novelty wears off, it's just better. What I would say is that although the jet black finish looks stunning, you either have to cover it with a case, or live with it getting scratched. It gets scratched if you just look at it aggressively! There wasn't a mark on my 6+ after two years, this jet black one had a mark in 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question anyone good with Ipads? got a user at work who has office 365 for ipad (word excel etc) and everytime she opens a document it shows as read only, no matter if its an existing doc or a new one.

Any help appreciated, cant see anything online about it.

Quick question anyone good with Ipads? got a user at work who has office 365 for ipad (word excel etc) and everytime she opens a document it shows as read only, no matter if its an existing doc or a new one.

Not used it myself but I did see this on one site:

Also make sure that protected-view is not enabled.

Procedure:

Open Word or Excel in Office.Click File, Options, Trust Center.Click the Trust Center Settings button.Select the Protected View Tab and uncheck all 3 boxes.Now select File Block Settings and uncheck everything.Click OK.

• Like 1

Not used it myself but I did see this on one site:

Also make sure that protected-view is not enabled.

Procedure:

Open Word or Excel in Office.Click File, Options, Trust Center.Click the Trust Center Settings button.Select the Protected View Tab and uncheck all 3 boxes.Now select File Block Settings and uncheck everything.Click OK.

Perfect, thanks! I dont have it here to hand so trying to explain it to a user who has the issue off campus lol If i had it in my hand i would have gone through all the settings, again, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, bit of help for another apple user... iphone 7 has been in lost and found for 9 months. the phone was left on and charged for 2 months after being found hoping someone would call it, no one ever did, the phone isn't blocked as you can still switch it on get signal etc obviously its got a passcode etc..

Its going to end up in the bin if nothing can be done, is there a way of wiping it/factory reset?

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried putting the SIM in another phone to see if you can get the owner's number?

If you have. Just go for it. Hold power and volume down to get it into recovery mode and then plug it into iTunes and hope you can restore.

• Like 1

iPhone 7 Plus arriving today, daft question but what tips on making sure I successfully switch over to the 7 from my 6 taking contacts, apps, photos etc with me? I have taken VR photos with Google Cardboard photo app for instance, how do I retain those?

I also plugged it into iTunes and I have about 20gb of 'Documents and Data' what is that given it also shows music, photos, apps - what on earth is taking up 20gb that isnt those?

I'd just do a full manual backup to local laptop/desktop and "restore" the new phone from there. I've never lost any app specific data before. Worth checking the phones side by side after the restore, before you wipe down the 6.

Documents and Data. My mate had this last week when he moved from 6 to 7. His manifested as several GB of documents and data under Podcasts in the storage breakdown. The simple solution for him was to delete the podcasts app and reinstall. Cleared up several GB, not just podcasts but the mysterious D&D dropped to a few MB. Some posts on the web link the podcasts bloat to the "keep synchronised feature" but it doesn't seem to affect all users.

Have you looked which app is using the Documents & Data? Settings -> General -> Storage & iCloud Usage -> Manage Storage

How do I do a full manual backup to laptop and restore? Sorry I am completely useless at this sort of thing!

I have no podcasts on my phone - will go under that setting and see what it is thats soaking up my memory...seems really odd.

Ok, no problem. Have you got iTunes on a computer at home? If not I'd install it. It's not that I don't trust the cloud backups, I'm just old fashioned and like a local backup.

How to back up an iPhone using iTunes

There are two main ways to make a backup of your iPhone. The first is through iTunes. All you need to do is connect your iPhone to the computer that you normally sync with using the USB cable, open up iTunes and then wait for your device to pop up in iTunes.

Once the phone is connected and you can "see it" In the 'Summary' field (which should be the default landing page when you click on your device), click Back Up Now. It might take a while, but when it's finished, you'll have a complete backup of your iPhone on the computer. It is well worth using the 'Encrypt backup' option because this will also save your passwords and other settings which aren't saved otherwise. You'll need to enter a password to encrypt the backup: don't forget this!

Now, if you happen to drop your iPhone down the loo tomorrow, or you lose it on the way home, you'll still have all of the data that was stored on that iPhone stored on your computer. You'll be able to plug in a new iPhone and restore all of that data onto the new device.

"Restoring" your new phone is easy, once you have done the backup. Switch the new phone on and folllow on screen instructions, at the right point just select "Restore from backup" or similar. Again follow instructions to plug into iTunes and copy over data.

If you have problems/get stuck or are just worried about it, drop me a PM and I can walk you through it online if you want.

This vid is ok, except at about 55 seconds he switches backup from iCloud to This Computer, you don't want to do that step, leave it backing up to the cloud by default. You just do the next step of clicking the "Backup Now" button.

iPhone 7 Plus arriving today, daft question but what tips on making sure I successfully switch over to the 7 from my 6 taking contacts, apps, photos etc with me? I have taken VR photos with Google Cardboard photo app for instance, how do I retain those?

I also plugged it into iTunes and I have about 20gb of 'Documents and Data' what is that given it also shows music, photos, apps - what on earth is taking up 20gb that isnt those?

Sync everything in iCloud, Col. Then log in on your new iPhone with your iCloud details and select restore from backup, select the old iPhone and continue. You'll have everything back on your new system. No need for iTunes, cables, computers etc just WiFi :)

turn-on-iCloud.jpg

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN