fitting new wheels today, ran into problems

flamez

I got the garage to test fit one of the rears first as i thought they might be troublesome, 19x10J +6 offset ssr vienna

no problems fit perfect so i went and got the other 3 wheels and tyres

fronts are work eurolines 18x9J +25 as i am going for the staggered 19x10r 18x9f same as on the nismo edition.

anyways bloody fronts hit the calipers which i didnt expect, even tried it with 20mm spacer and still rubs.

So my options are either

1. try run 25mm spacer up front which will be exactly zero offset, will it fit?

or

2. Try and source some new fronts which will take ages as this set took about a year from Japan lol

What do you think guys?

Edited by flamez

Its do able just might need to a slightly skinner tyre up front I ran 9.5 et 20 and it was in the arch by like 10mm so it should poke a lil but not much

according to calculator the 9J +0et will go out a further 9mm than my current fronts 9.5j et15 running 255/35/19 which is already poking!

Yep common problem ... the only way out is spacers but not sure what size :blush::surrender:

I reckon I need at least 25mm tbh, will it be safe to run 5mm shims on top of 20mm hubcentrics?

Edited by flamez

Its do able just might need to a slightly skinner tyre up front I ran 9.5 et 20 and it was in the arch by like 10mm so it should poke a lil but not much

according to calculator the 9J +0et will go out a further 9mm than my current fronts 9.5j et15 running 255/35/19 which is already poking!

Yep common problem ... the only way out is spacers but not sure what size :blush::surrender:

I reckon I need at least 25mm tbh, will it be safe to run 5mm shims on top of 20mm hubcentrics?

yea like i said youll need a skinner tyre if your running a 9 a 235 or maybe even a 225 will do it

I'd see if it works and then put the correctly sized spacers on ... nothing to do with tyre size until you've cleared the callipers ... ask Ekona about tyres

• Like 1

I run 9.5 fronts et12 with a 3mm spacer so et9 really, they do poke out the arch slightly (wheel not tyre) but that's the look I wanted, an extra 9mm should still look okay as long as they fit with the spacers. Also I'd check you have enough thread with the 5mm spacer you were considering as that may be your only issue, but should in theory be okay,

Ok, slight update I bought 2 5mm shim spacers and one under my 20mm hubcentric. Cleared the brembos finally, so front will now be +0et

I've taken it back off as the above reply has worried me and I'll get some proper 25mm hubcentrics on. Only problem is one of the nuts is rounded on the left hubcentric so not sure how i'm gonna get it off!

Joys of modifying :D

Edited by flamez

Just to add here that all wheel designs are not equal - a 9J ET0 might be fine on a BBS LM, for instance but it doesnt automatically mean that an SSR Vienna will work - also bear in mind there were at least 4 different disk options on a Vienna, each will give different amounts of brake clearance :)

• Like 1

Ok, slight update I bought 2 5mm shim spacers and one under my 20mm hubcentric. Cleared the brembos finally, so front will now be +0et

I've taken it back off as the above reply has worried me and I'll get some proper 25mm hubcentrics on. Only problem is one of the nuts is rounded on the left hubcentric so not sure how i'm gonna get it off!

Joys of modifying :D

Tighten the other nuts up. Then get a 1mm smaller socket and tap it on to damaged nut. SHould come off then. Nut will not be reusable and might damage the socket (so borrow someone elses), but at least you'll get it off.

• Like 1

Just to add here that all wheel designs are not equal - a 9J ET0 might be fine on a BBS LM, for instance but it doesnt automatically mean that an SSR Vienna will work - also bear in mind there were at least 4 different disk options on a Vienna, each will give different amounts of brake clearance :)

yep exactly its about the disk option and spoke design as well, I knew I should have gone for the high disk option but i expected a 20mm spacer would be enough and wanted a bit extra dish on the front ;)

Tighten the other nuts up. Then get a 1mm smaller socket and tap it on to damaged nut. SHould come off then. Nut will not be reusable and might damage the socket (so borrow someone elses), but at least you'll get it off.

yep we've tried this lol. Its proper ****ed, I'll just take it to my garage to get sorted,

Edited by flamez

• 2 weeks later...

ebized used a shim and a hubcentric spacer which warped his brake discs on a 370 if I recall correctly.

Yes, I also did this with a 3mm shim but once I found out about Ebized's 370Z removed them pronto.

Pete

I do like a white Zed :) The wheels work very well, not sure the canards complement the overall look though :)

Have you flared your rear arches?

cheers guys, All my mates say my old wheels looked better, but I prefer the way the car drives now, and i was sure there's a reason nismo went with this setup ;)

The Arches have only had a roll and pull mate so it still fits the lines on to the nismo kit. I've still got more space to put taller rubber as well, should help get over the london speed bumps easier :)

Edited by flamez