Holograms from wax

Spatt

Hey people. Never had this before or at least not noticed it.

I have spotted some holograms on my bonnet when 'waxing off' in straight lines from windscreen to bumper up and down. i couldn't get rid of them. i consider myself thorough when waxing and use several different clean cloths to avoid this horrible hologram effect.

when i went fron side to side they seemed to drasticly reduce but not clear fully. Never had this problem on my last car but maybe im using too much wax (I do like to layer it on) or does this now mean the car needs taking back to clear coat and starting again?

hope to have another go tomorrow and i'll try get some pics up of the holograms if i cant get rid of them

the waxes i use are Dodo juice orange crush (On an Azure) hmmm maybe this is my problem? (Wanted to use it up)

Also use chem guys XXX hardcore paste wax

While were at it maybe you could suggest a wax for an Azure i know everyone has there faves ;)

Sounds like you need to apply more elbow grease; taken from Detailing World forum:

There are essentially two types of holograms:

1) abrasion holograms, often referred to as buffer trails or machine marring, which are microscopic scratches in the paint caused by micro marring of the surface by a very fine abrasive pad or compound - when viewed in the sun you get a sort of holographic effect, sometimes with the small scratches appearing to move; buffer trails tend to be in circular trails, following the path of the machine. These need to be polished out, typically by machine with a fine finishing compound/pad.

2) oil holograms, caused by residues of products (oils, waxes or sealants predominantly) curing at different levels on the surface. These high spots and low spots alter the depth of the surface visually speaking, so the paint can look darker and lighter in different places and reflect light in odd ways. Typically this looks like smearing or blotching. The causes of this is either buffing off a product too early or buffing it off too late. By buffing too early, you inadvertently spread fresh product whilst attempting to clear the panel. If you fail to remove all fresh product and it remains on the surface in a small - perhaps near-invisible amount - then it could overcure or remain 'unlevelled' and lead to hologramming. If you buff it off too late, as in the second instance, and leave it on too long, then the product could cure/set at different levels and may be difficult to buff or remove. Oily products can also soak into mildly UVdamaged clearcoats if left too long (mainly reds and blacks) and again, these soak into microscopic pits in the paint if left for a longer time and may be unable to be removed/buffed totally. The final type of oil hologram resembles fine scratches - it is simply fine lines of product that have been spread rather than removed. This is why a second buff is often worthwhile. People often mistake these for scratches caused by the cloth or product, but it is really just the peaks and troughs left behind after a single pass of a cloth (the fibres causing the channels). To remove, reapplication and removal of the product can sometimes work, some people apply water as a spritz onto naturally-based waxes with good effect, you could use a solvent or degreaser to thoroughly clean the surface or you could simply wait for the oil/product to diminish over time.

• Like 1

If you mean abrasion holograms (as detailed above and what I would refer to as holograms) then you'll need to polish them out or fill them with a glaze if you don't fancy polishing.

If you mean oil holograms (which I would simply call smearing, personally) it's likely to be from using too much wax - spread it as thin as you can, the old adage "less is more" applies to LSP's in general. Orange Crush itself isn't the issue, but if you're using too much of it could well be. If you're having trouble removing it then you're using too much, but a spritz of QD will help and should assist to remove the smearing you've (possibly) got too.

Thanks for the thougts guys.. they are 'oil' holograms for sure. They dissappear when I wipe my finger over them which you wouldn't get with a scratch.

Tbh im using a folded microfiber to apply because I got sick of the wax bunching up on my sponge and I found it hard to get inro the pot. I think this is where I went wrong. Hopefully I can get it all smoothed out by just going over it with a dry towel once its clean and dry

The dealer I bought my black 350 from had a field day with a machine polisher and clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing as they left holograms on nearly every panel.

I washed, polished and waxed the car twice a few days ago and luckily managed to rid the car of any and all holograms.

I may have been lucky and they may not have been that bad but I had to use a tonne of elbow grease and my right arm still aches now! (From waxing lol)

I used Meguairs scratch X abrasive polish and a Dodo Juice panel pot of wax. Alot of people dislike abrasive polish as it strips all the wax from the car and a layer of paint but it was really my only choice due to what the dealers had done.

It looks brilliant now though and almost brand new. As said above use a little amount of wax on every panel as you can always give it a second coat if need be.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with Envy in that you're probably slathering on the wax thinking that a good thick coat is going to give you more protection, problem is, is that it isn't. You're far better off putting thin coats on, which makes buffing easier and then applying another thin coat. You might think that this feels like twice the work but considering your problem in pretty much having to start again you're actually saving time.

I use DoDo Juice Rainforest Rub on my Azure and it looks a treat.

Edited by samsniss350z