My Own Z Surpases 300 WHP...Details Inside!

Adam@Z1auto.com

dont forget the agro you will get with the turbo more worries so much heat etc..

but once n/a done you got 1 strong arse engine and you can always put a big arse single turbo on later or twin if not happy enough just start at a good base :thumbs:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let us know how it goes limiter :thumbs:

PS £20k (which is a reasonable estimate once you start opening the engine) for 300whp is imo rather pointless but each to their own ;)

you'll surely be different, but way slower than a Z that's had spent that amount in TT form ;)

Don't be fooleed by the hp levels people state their FI cars have and expect that to translate into "speed", however you choose to qualify that. Again, I live with these cars every day, and have touched every form of Z mod out there, from a 325 whp Stillen SC'd car, to an HKS S/C'd car, all the way up to 600 + whp twin turbo animals .

I've built/driven many 400 whp Z's - single turbo (stock motor), twin turbos (stock motor), supercharged (stock motor) - my car is right there with them in terms of all out pace. My car is not "way slower" my any stretch of the imagination. In a top speed run on the highway? Yes, I am slower than some setups, quicker than others. By alot? All depends what it's up against. But again, I have another car to do that with if I so choose ;)

How? Simple - the gearing, the weight, and the ability to rev. None of the FI cars on a stock motor can rev nearly as high as I do (I have another 1000 rpm to play with at present, more if I decide to turn it up), no single turbo or twin turbo car can even do the gears, as they already ahve next to no traction in first gear as it is. The S/C cars (esp the Vortech ones) do the gears and it works great, but all their power is up top...and they still can't rev. Plus, weight is weight...and my car weighs a significant amount less than a similarly equipped FI car.

HP tells you a part of the picture - it is 0 indicator of outright "speed" though - the name of the game there is power to weight ratio, coupled with gearing. That's how a std 911 GT3 can run right next to a twin turbo 911 on the road, and part of the reason it will anihilate the TT version on many track days.

My overall cost was right around the same as any properly executed Supercharged/FI setup, and less expensive than going twins. Do I get to say I have a FI car? No...but I dind't want one, so I don't much care about that :) Plus, if I feel like the FI whoosh, I've got 600 whp of Z goodness sitting in the garage in the form of this:

280zx3.jpg

It's a Gruppe-M carbon intake (from Japan) - something I treated myself to at the early days of the car...insanely overpriced, but rare, which is why I got it lolol.

The stroker motor is being built now. We'll probably have that car done around the fall, as it's a very involved build with all the stuff going into it. The internals are at the machinist now, and will remain there for the next 1-2 months as he works his magic. From there, we'll take it from build shortblock to assembled longblock here at the shop, get the body work, do the suspension work, etc etc. That's a full soup to nuts "crazy" build, unlike mine which was done over time and with less exotic stuff.

sl114 - this exact setup with bigger injectors, a return fuel setup and a single turbo kit, like the Turbonetics, would be simple an amazing street car!

but once n/a done you got 1 strong arse engine and you can always put a big arse single turbo on later or twin if not happy enough just start at a good base :thumbs:

research thoroughly mate, as if you start opening the engine to get more NA power, then change your mind and want to slap FI on the Z, you'll have wrong compression, wrong cams etc etc. not as easy as you think... ;)

do your homework and understand how things work by yourself , don't just listen to what people post on an internet forum ;)

HP tells you a part of the picture - it is 0 indicator of outright "speed" though - the name of the game there is power to weight ratio, coupled with gearing. That's how a std 911 GT3 can run right next to a twin turbo 911 on the road, and part of the reason it will anihilate the TT version on many track days.

My overall cost was right around the same as any properly executed Supercharged/FI setup, and less expensive than going twins. Do I get to say I have a FI car? No...but I dind't want one, so I don't much care about that :) Plus, if I feel like the FI whoosh, I've got 600 whp of Z goodness sitting in the garage in the form of this:

Agree with the power/weight ratio statement, but that's exclusive to your own car. Like for like (same car, same weight, same driver), even a TT Z with std internals will be quicker than a 300whp NA car both in a straight line and on track, imo.

but I do agree that over a certain hp level for our car, the issue becomes traction.

Agree with the power/weight ratio statement, but that's exclusive to your own car. Like for like (same car, same weight, same driver), even a TT Z with std internals will be quicker than a 300whp NA car both in a straight line and on track, imo.

but I do agree that over a certain hp level for our car, the issue becomes traction.

again, you would be surprised as the combo of gears and the extra 1500 rpm make for a significant difference. It's not the blow away you would expect and given the right road, its my car that ends out up front

• 6 months later...

Not to dig up old bones but anyone find removes comments to my brother a bit patronizing? :dry: Perhaps just me being a tad sensitive, removes not here to defend so erm.. I wont say anymore :blush:

Adam posted up video clips of his car driving down the road, sounded awesome and looked like it shifted compared to a stock Z B) I do admire the fact of his approach to be different in his mods :thumbs:

Not to dig up old bones but anyone find removes comments to my brother a bit patronizing? :dry: Perhaps just me being a tad sensitive, removes not here to defend so erm.. I wont say anymore :blush:

Thats why he's been 'removed' :yahoo:

Not really. He's "removed" because he left of his own accord and asked that his personal details were removed from the site.

Thats why he's been 'removed' :yahoo:

Not really. He's "removed" because he left of his own accord and asked that his personal details were removed from the site.

Jumped before he was pushed :D

Can u post the link again for Adams vid.. or maybe i gotta look page or two back on this posting?

Personally.. spending all that money on NA block to get 300hp isnt a nice thought.. as Adam stocks the Turbonetics single turbo system better just bolt on that in 8 hrs and get ECU re mapped.

Remember its not all about the power figures, its how it delivers it. Sure a big ass turbo will get you more power, but it may not be as willing to rev freely or be as responsive. It depends what you are after.

Personally I'd love to try a car like Adams and a turbo'd car with the same money invested in them to see how they handled differently :thumbs:

Can u post the link again for Adams vid.. or maybe i gotta look page or two back on this posting?

Personally.. spending all that money on NA block to get 300hp isnt a nice thought.. as Adam stocks the Turbonetics single turbo system better just bolt on that in 8 hrs and get ECU re mapped.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QMnVkpxuurM :thumbs:

But what fun is that? Everyone and their brother here has a turbonetics kit on the car. It is not an out of the box install, as there are other parts needed to make it work properly, and a mailorder reflash is not my idea of "state of the art tuning". I see single turbo and Vortech cars every day....to me they are boring. No real thought goes into them, its just bolt on this and that and have a go. I've been doing this so long that I want to learn something when I do a new build for myself...this car has taught me a ton as its the first NA build I've ever done for myself (all previous cars I've built to this level were turbo). And while all those others have to make due with a std. 6800 rpm redline in order to keep their bottom end together, I've got an extra 1200-1600 of rpm to play with (depending where I shift)...where the car actually makes power :) I've run against a few local cars with the Vortech and the Turbonetics. Between my gearing, and broad power band, I can easily hang with a 400 whp Z. If I want to play with the bigger boys, I need to only grab the keys to my Datsun :)

Sure, I've got tons of parts on the shelf I could just install....I could have just as easily gone to a Greddy kit with a stroker and had 600 + whp as well. But, to me, big power numbers were not what was important. This Z is not my only "toy". My whole goal from the beginning was to make a well rounded, reliable daily driven car that made good power, with a massive power band, and all the creative comforts I wish it had from the factory. I didn't want to be working on it everyday, I wanted to build it and enjoy it. I'd venture to say that while there are plenty of Z's posting bigger hp numbers, there are few, if any cars that are so absolutely well rounded in all aspects of their build.

The road it was filmed on was deserted..it was shot on Thanksgiving here so no traffic ;)